trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B-Group Music TC-15
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:55 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Just completed & delivered to Brent at B-Group Music http://www.bgroupmusic.com/

The B-Group Music is a music production company for hire. Check them out.

I'll leave it to Brent to comment on his new amp!

Post subject: YEEEAAAAHHH!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:33 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Oh hey Stephen!! Working like a madman this week so I haven't checked in in a couple of days - just saw this! Cool! Thanks for posting this...

My Ferrari red TC-15 is INCREDIBLE!! It's definitely one of my faves out of the 20+ amps in my studio. :) I'm going to spend some quality time with it under the microscope tomorrow so I'll check back in with some tidbits from my play time. :) I'm also trying to find a time in the next week or two that I can record some clips of the TC-15 through all of my different cabs/different speakers for folks to hear the differences...

But beyond the TC-15's mind-blowing tone, it's the best lookin' amp in my studio by a large margin... ;)

If anyone has any questions about how I'm using or recording my red beauty, ask away!!

Check back in soon...

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject: Had fun today!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:25 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

This is an excerpt from an email I sent to Stephen earlier today. I did extensive play testing this afternoon with my new TC-15 and also Stephen's prototype Trinity 18. The 18w impressions are posted over in that forum... Also, Stephen made a couple of changes to my TC-15 from his prototype - I found that I was using cut at it's extreme on the prototype so Stephen made the travel faster so I have more cut... secondly, he added a hi/lo switch which cleans up the tone a bit. Ask him for a technical explanation!!

Holy crap Stephen! Well, I just had the most fun I've had in about 2 weeks! My head is spinning, and I'm not sure I can type fast enough to get all my thoughts down, but I'll do my best. I played both amps at length on both channels - I'm TOTALLY blown away!

TC-15 - my favourite amp in the room - hands down. It's F*%#ing INCREDIBLE (can I swear here?!?!?). and significantly different from your prototype. Not sure if that's a function of the build, of the changes you made, of new vs. old, or what, but whatever, I don't care - it's AMAZING. First things first - the taper on the "Cut" knob is PERFECT. I think it'll live around 1 o'clock for the most part, but I love the range of it now. Second - the "Hi/Lo" switch is subtle, but in use really not so subtle for me. With a Les Paul, it made the difference between being able to get a truly clean tone or not - amazing and VERY useful. With a Strat, it not only cleaned up the tone a bit, but also made the amp sound like it had less headroom - a bit like the "bold/spongy" switch on a Mesa. This is cool because even though there are plenty of clean Strat tones as it is, this gives a different flavour of clean. For my money (even though I'm obviously biased. "biased" - get it??? Ha ha) both the mod to the "cut" control and the "Hi/Lo" switch should be standard on this amp.

Did I mention this is the prettiest amp I've ever seen?!? ;)

OK - real mind blower here: I think something is up with Ch.1 - EF86 on your prototype. it was good on that amp, but Ch.1 on this amp is WAAAAAAAY better. Like crazy gain that the other one didn't have. This channel gets downright NASTY (in a good way of course!). In the HI input with crunch switched in - YOW! - with either the LP or the Strat.
My revelation with this channel makes this amp SO versatile. As a matter of fact, it makes it a "desert island" amp for me. I could use this amp on ANY project - right from the cleanest tones up to the gainiest record I would make. I'd venture a guess you could even do metal with this thing with a good pedal in front (I don't do metal though, so I probably won't ever find out!!). Anyway, this channel is the "soul" of this amp. It really "speaks". LOVE it. Oh, and "Contour" is perfect - flipping around here gave me EXACTLY what I would have dialed in with EQ as I changed pickups or the guitar.

Ch.2 is as I remembered it from the prototype - beautiful glassy cleans (with much more controllable "glass" due to the new "Cut" taper!!) right up to a roar. But I did have a couple of revelations with this channel as well. Clean tones obviously live towards the bottom of the gain knob - but what I didn't notice before is that at the bottom of that knob's travel, it's not THAT much quieter than when it's all gained up! I mean, for sure the higher gain tones are louder than the clean tones, but the difference is not as remarkable as with any other amp I own. So what is the genius behind this?? I'm curious - it's a fantastic thing that I wish all amps had. One of the frustrations with cleaning up amps that do lots of gain is that they don't push any air when they're clean - so you end up with an anemic small tone. The TC-15 stays big and forward when it's clean. Also, with the new "cut" taper, I can dial out some of the "Matchless"-ness now. With the prototype, I found that no matter what I did, that quality was always there - I didn't mind it - it's a great tone and I figured that it was the signature of the amp. But the beautiful thing about the new taper is, I can tame some of that quality by using more extreme "cut", and by doing this the signature of the amp changes. Dare I say it becomes more "Marshall"???!!! Anyway, it's cool, and just upped the ante on versatility for me.

Anyway, spent the whole afternoon plugged into my Mesa Recto 4x12 with V30's. I suspect this is still my favourite cab with this amp, but with my revelations on some of its new tones, I suspect I might have more love in my heart for the cabs I didn't like as much with the prototype. Can't wait to play my new '59 Danelectro RI I'm picking up Saturday through this amp. I think it's going to be phenomenal.

Still lots of testing to do with both since I only used the one cab and only one of my strats and one of my LP's, but today was really fun.
Incredible amps Stephen. I'm glad to have made your acquaintance. :)

More to come - talk soon.

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:19 pm 
Novice
Novice

You're making me sick for a TC-15. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:41 am 
Novice
Novice

Cups wrote:
You're making me sick for a TC-15. :D

Ditto!

Post subject: TC-15 mods
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:57 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hey, Stephen, are you going to fill us in, at some point, on the mods you did on this one for Brent? Sounds interesting (the Hi-Lo switch and the different taper on the Cut pot). Might prove useful to know. Though I am eager to build one (coming in the mail anyday) and hear how it sounds with the stock circuit.

I don't know how you get any work done, answering posts on the forums as quickly as you do!

Best,
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:25 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Details:
Double the cap for the cut cap (go to .0047); and
Switch out the 25uF cathode bypass cap on V2 for those subtle cleans.

Quote:
I don't know how you get any work done, answering posts on the forums as quickly as you do!

Neither do I :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:26 am 
Expert
Expert

Coco's the best and the fastest (is that a word? :lol: )
bgroup,
How cool. The Trinity TC-15 ROCKS and is still MELLOWWWWWW. This is the amp of amps. It does what you want. WHAT! An amp that does what YOU WANT. Whom would of thought. :)

Yes coco, i have it going! Tried to call! I just have, well you know, my brain tends to come and go. I haven't even told jcny yet (I'm sorry :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: ) I just thought it should go world-wide.
:D
Now if I could just learn to type :!: :!: :!: :!:
Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:44 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Yeah, it really is an "amp's amp" as it were... :roll: Seriously though, the thing DOES rock, and cleans up awful nice too... :D

So, I got my '59 Dano RI this morning - had a crap load of work to finish, but I stole 15 minutes to play it through my TC-15... it was CRAZY, what a cool tone. :D I think you'd definitely want the cut mod with this guitar because it's pretty darn bright, but with cut at around 2:30 it was fantastic. What a tone! Sort of has the spank and top end of a Tele, but with this really warm almost reverberant midrange (which I attribute to the chambered body). The neck pickup in particular is pretty special through the TC-15. I also liked the middle position a lot. The bridge was a teeny bit bright with the settings I had on the amp, but no doubt I could have fixed that if I'd had the time. It's funny because I imagined the Dano would be one of my special "flavours" that I'd only use once in a while for the "quirky" tones on the records that I make... but after today, I could see the Dano becoming more "meat & potatoes" with the TC-15...

More to come - I'm going to try to devote part of a day towards the end of next week to recording some clips... 8)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:11 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I decided today was going to be Trinity day! So, I got the 18 (through the Marshall 1960 cab) and the TC (through the Mesa cab) cooking! Stephen, the TC-15 is INCREDIBLE man – we did a Strat semi-clean tone and an effecty Strat thing using an EHX Memory Man delay and a Boss Flanger pedal. I was overwhelmed with the clarity of these guitar tracks, they were SO detailed, and forward and BIG. Man, do I ever LOVE that amp. :) Next we did a Danelectro/Trinity 18 track, a little crunchier to make the chorus of the tune bigger. I wasn’t sure I’d like the Dano, but it was great. This tone filled in the mids/low-mids of the chorus PERFECTLY. The TC and the 18 are a great 1-2 punch. In the same way with Mesa, the Recto and Stiletto are supposed to fill different parts of the spectrum (and I can confirm that they do since I own both), the TC and 18 are very complimentary to each other frequency-wise. They’re a nice combination for double up parts when recording… On the other tune we needed a clean jazzy tone, so we used my Epiphone Sheraton hollow body through the TC-15. Gorgeous, and I didn’t even need to touch the EQ! Just turned the gain down a bit, and dialed in a bit more cut. With the bridge pickup it was perfect amount of low end fat with high end presence. I can’t believe how versatile this amp is Stephen!! Oh and BTW, the TC stayed on Ch. 2, “munch” with the “hi” switch in. The 18 was in Ch.1 with more gain and different tone setting from my cab test. And I used the EL’s – tried the 6V6’s but they sounded a bit strident with the Dano…

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:40 am 
Experienced
Experienced

So Brent, are we going to get to hear some of these tracks?

JP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:57 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

J-Rock - I'm intending to record some stuff for the forum, but it gets weird with stuff I get paid to record in sessions... most of it is for proper release, and I don't own it (the artists that pay me do), so it's not really mine to post...

I'm trying to find a day to devote to clips, and I'll get a really great guitar player and we'll do a bunch of recording with different tones, guitars, and cabs so everyone can get a sense of what I'm talking about...

But hey, if you're in Toronto, give me a shout and come by anytime!! And you can hear everything right off the hard disk!!! :wink:

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:29 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Understood.

I am and I might just touch base with you some day!

Thanks.

JP

Post subject: Tone Tubby Time!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:47 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

OK, TC-15 with Tone Tubby's... I did my comparison with the V30's in my Mesa 4x12 and my Orange 2x12 as these were my previous favourite speakers with the TC. Did that change? Yes and no. With the TC, I LOVE the TT Alnico - VERY balanced, clear and hi-fi. This is a GREAT speaker for the TC. Anything I didn't like? Not really in the "didn't like" category, but I did find the Alnico sounds very compressed and maybe a teeny bit polite (the TT Ceramic does too IMO). If you play guitar to make your heart race, this isn't the speaker. If you play guitar to admire your big beautiful tone, then this is DEFINITELY the speaker. However, when I gained up the TC, the compression the Alnico gave the tone was AMAZING - this was a FANTASTIC tone. Overall, I loved the Alnico, but not more than the V30's - while the Alnico is a subjectively prettier sound and there is lots of application for that, there was just something about the V30s that made me want to play. And I liked that the V30s were more dynamic even at the gainier settings. If I played high gain all the time, then I'd have to think hard about it because I loved that compressed high gain thing. Actually, I don't have to think too hard Stephen - I want one of your 2x12's with the Alnicos. :D The TT Ceramic and the "bomb" were cool, but the Alnico with the TC was VERY special... Also have to say that I love your 2x12 cab a lot too - prefer it to my Orange 2x12 (regardless of speaker type). It has a real airy openess to it much like the Mesa...

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:35 am 
Expert
Expert

As luck would have it (and I don't have a lot :lol: ) I happen to have a pair of V30 and a weird 2X12 cab to install them in. :D
Have to change a few things (this was a organ 2X12 cabinet, the handle's gotta go), I'll tell you the outcome.
Thanks for the reviews, they've been very helpful.
Now all I have to do is get my body mobile rol Life is strange :bugeye: :D
And then you get up and see an amp and a guitar in the corner, then life isn't so :bugeye: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:51 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Cool jac - my pleasure! Glad my comments have been useful. I'm a real tone nut and very passionate about this stuff so it's fun for me to check it all out. :D

I recorded a bunch of clips yesterday with my TC-15, the 18W, and the JTM45 through all of my cabs (and Stephen's). It was REALLY interesting. All of the cabs sound SO different. The V30s IMO were consistently good with all three amps, and FWIW, Garret my assistant that was playing for the clips picked my Mesa 4x12 as one of his faves with all 3 amps. There were some other surprising speakers too, but I'll wait until I've posted the clips and everyone's had a chance to listen before we start to argue about what sounds best!! LOL!!

I think Stephen is considering a "which speaker is best" poll!! :wink:

And I'm with you jac - I have to admit when I see a cool amp and guitar, my heart beats just a little bit faster... 8)

www.slyfichapel.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:37 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

So, was doing a session for a young band yesterday... the music is in the vein of Coldplay. Anyway, Coldplay are big Fender guys so we set up my Fender Super Reverb, Fender Blues Deluxe, Fender Prosonic, Mesa Boogie Mark 2c+, Vox AC-30 and my Trinity TC-15 thru my Orange 2x12. We were looking for a rock and roll clean tone... Anyway, in a blind taste test the band liked the TC-15 the best!! And we ended up using it for that tone (ch.2) as well as two different dirty tones (ch.1) on the session...

For those keeping score, the Fender Prosonic was a close second in Class A mode (we used this on the session for something else), and the Blues Deluxe was in the running, but...

:D

Absolutely LOVE my TC-15!! Just wanted to share... :D

www.slyfichapel.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:37 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

bgroup wrote:
So, was doing a session for a young band yesterday... the music is in the vein of Coldplay. Anyway, Coldplay are big Fender guys so we set up my Fender Super Reverb, Fender Blues Deluxe, Fender Prosonic, Mesa Boogie Mark 2c+, Vox AC-30 and my Trinity TC-15 thru my Orange 2x12. We were looking for a rock and roll clean tone... Anyway, in a blind taste test the band liked the TC-15 the best!! And we ended up using it for that tone (ch.2) as well as two different dirty tones (ch.1) on the session...

Now that is really, really cool! Those are clips I'd like to hear for sure!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:07 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I'll see if the guys are up for posting a clip or two when we're all done...

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:57 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The 15 was up against some stiff competition.