Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:05 am 
Friend
Friend

s2 wrote:
Remember that Matchless over-engineered everything, especially the PT and OT.

You mean my Dad engineered them, his name is William R. Wood, Sr. I can truly say he is the smartest man I have ever known. I talk to him almost every day. Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:09 am 
Friend
Friend

Meant to say, he designed all the original Matchless xfrmrs. Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:24 pm 
Novice
Novice

kg6epv, is he still doing trannies? If so, do you think he'd do some custom stuff?

Post subject: Transformers
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:42 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hi Chief, my brother is now president of the company, and yes, my Dad still designs custom transformers. I just got off the phone with him in regards to a transformer a Ham radio buddy needs for a tube amp, in a RF linear application. Drop me a line and I will be glad to help. All the best, Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:46 pm 
Novice
Novice

maybe your dad and bro can enlighten us on Matchless anomolies (unless a NDL is still active)...would be interesting to know....hint hint :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 12:47 pm 
Novice
Novice

soory, i meant NDA (non disclosure agreement)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:42 pm 
Friend
Friend

We still make transformers for Matchless, always have... and a few other top of ther line, Class A type companies. (Them I can not talk about... You also live in So Calif, who is close down here?). I knew Mark Sampson and Rick Perotta before there was a Matchless, back then they were Music Animals. I remember the brainstorm sessions in my Dad's office...
Not sure what you mean by anomalies, please elaborate... Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:28 pm 
Novice
Novice

well, for instance...'most' matchless amps use ~typical 'vox' output config.....
and it is known that the taps are 'offset' (8 is 16, 4 is 8, etc), although I haven't rung out my 15W set from Westlabs to confirm this myself....
but what other 'tweeks' did Mark and Rick decide on the final designs....as opposed to a MercMag's AC15 clones,AC30 clones, etc :wink:
you must know of Mercury Magnetics....
Also, has your bro's company ever done any Partridge analysis to 'clone' or 'duplicate' the ones used in the DR's? For anyone? Inquiring minds want to know......
I'm more interested in Partridge clones myself......being a HiWatt man :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:43 pm 
Friend
Friend

Chief>>>well, for instance...'most' matchless amps use ~typical 'vox' output config.....
and it is known that the taps are 'offset' (8 is 16, 4 is 8, etc), although I haven't rung out my 15W set from Westlabs to confirm this myself....
but what other 'tweeks' did Mark and Rick decide on the final designs....as opposed to a MercMag's AC15 clones,AC30 clones, etc.

Bob: I will not comment on any "tweaks", if you want to wring out our set, pony up the $ and I will drive them out to you if you give me gas money in lieu of normal UPS shipping fee... since you are close and all... money back if not satisfied... Stephen can vouch for our service. My brother Bill takes them to Matchless himself (and others), pretty good service when the Pres himself brings you your transformers. We have been at this for 35+ years, and that is what we offer, quality and service.

Chief>>>you must know of Mercury Magnetics...

Bob: Of course. They do their thing, we do ours, no further comment...

Chief>>>Also, has your bro's company ever done any Partridge analysis to 'clone' or 'duplicate' the ones used in the DR's? For anyone? Inquiring minds want to know......
I'm more interested in Partridge clones myself......being a HiWatt man

Bob: We have not, as of yet. We CAN, and DO analyze/ duplicate/ upgrade, or analyze/ start from scratch with new upgrade design, on most anything... email me if you want to get something going.
Remember, many of the amp manufacturers used what they could find off-the-shelf, and not a custom-built-for-the-amp transformer. Sometimes not so good for the end user. My Dad is semi- retired, but I call him almost every day, and he still likes to design xlnt xfrmrs, we just got done talking about one for a guy in France. (Ampeg V4).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:13 am 
Novice
Novice

well, i had to try :)
does your company have a website?
i won't grill ya for any more proprietary info
it's good to know there's an alternative to MM :wink:

will inquire later this year about some trannies

T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:46 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I dissected a MM OT (alongside a RS, Heyboer, and Shinrock) when I was developing my 18 Watt OT. IMHO, it was the poorest sounding of the bunch. When we took it apart, we found it to be the most poorly made as well. I was not impressed at all, but started pondering how to dump cheap junk on the music community at crazy high prices :(

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:50 pm 
Friend
Friend

No, we no longer maintain a website, we didn't get any sales from it. I will be happy to get you some transformers, especially since you are local. Anyone else I would refer to Stephen, he uses our transformers in his 15W kit. All the best, Bob

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:56 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hi S2, you must have posted while I was writing. I just referred a guy to you thru Stephen, I hear you are doing a good job on the 18W Marshalls, good deal. Interesting to hear on the OT, and thanks for saying it, good to know these things. All the best, Bob