trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: size?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:25 am 
Friend
Friend

Would a 5w lightning fit inside a EVJr cabinet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:39 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

VJ amp has minimal controls so would need a lot of panel mods. IF there was such a 5W lightning. :)

Post subject: hypotheticly...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:14 pm 
Friend
Friend

if there were such a beastie, would things be to close in a jr cabinet or could it be made to fit? Perhaps replace the original chassis?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:32 pm 

liquidsuspension wrote:
i'd love to see a lightning 5w. i'm looking to do a new low watt build soon, since my 18w is overkill for my bedroom playing in my apartment. :lol: i'm getting frustrated, i can't ever play the amp at a decent toneful volume.

Even more interesting would be a switchable 15W/5W Lighting along the lines of a MB Lonestar. It would need two different output transformers or a special sort of simgle output transformer.
5W may still be to loud for a bedroom, depending on the tolerance for pain.

Post subject: attenuator...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:51 am 
Friend
Friend

I am looking for a 5w for playing as I only play small venues. If I need to I can use an attenuator. There probably wouldn't be a huge volume difference between 5 and 15 watt, but the single-ended would be a simpler design. I don't know a lot about these things so I could be all wrong.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:29 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

A 5W single ended would not sound like a 15 W PP with attenuator. Simpler yes, tonally, no.

Post subject: class A
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:09 pm 
Friend
Friend

Is a PP amp the same as Class A/B? I am looking for a Class A amp. The 15 and 5 watt amps would be quite different tone wise if one was a/b and the other a.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:26 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

PP stands for Push/Pull, two power tubes working together, one push, one pull.... SE stands for single ended, one power tube. Class A or class AB refers to the way the power tubes are set up/ powered.... i am quite a novice so i suggest you read up a bit on amp design by some better sources before you try your first build. For example, you say you want class A; do you even know why you want class A? Do you know how class A operation effects the sound?

Better to be educated about the things you ask for so you know you are asking for the right things. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:37 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

There's a good article at: www.aikenamps.com/> Tech Info> Advanced>The Last Word on Class A

Post subject: oops
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:04 am 
Friend
Friend

Sorry to blast questions. Sometimes my mind outruns my mouth and I end up thinking out loud. I too am a novice about this stuff. I don't have a music store close by with a wide enough variety of amps to just sit a play around a while. From reading and from what listening i've been able to do, i believe i like the sound of class a better. I know its not the most efficient way to run the tubes, but i like the sound. Do you know of an example of a pp amp that is class a? I would like to hear sound clips and compare it to se amps in class a.

Thanks for the article link. You can never learn enough. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:45 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

matchless and vox are commonly reffered to class A designs, but are less so in actual operation... There are alot less class A amps out there then you would imagine... even though some botique builders may insist otherwise..

IMO design class has less effect on the sound then overall design... what gives matchless and vox thier sound may be more related to the EF-86 preamp tubes and the tone stack...

like stephen said; check out aikenamps for more info...

Edit - here is a quote from aiken amps artilce on class a:

Quote:
Which is better, class A or class AB?
From a guitar amplification standpoint, neither class of operation is necessarily better, they are just different. You shouldn't get too hung up on the "class A" designation, because most of the push-pull amplifiers that are supposed to be class A aren't really class A at all, they are just cathode-biased, non-negative feedback class AB amplifiers. Operating class is not the reason for the tonal differences between these amplifiers.
The cathode biasing and lack of negative feedback is one of the main differences between the Vox clones and the Marshall/Fender style stuff. The typical Marshalls and Fenders used a fixed-bias output stage with negative feedback from the output back to the phase inverter input, while the Vox clones use a cathode-biased output stage and no global negative feedback. In addition, the output tubes and preamp stage/phase inverter configurations contribute greatly to the tonal signature of these amplifiers.

Edit 2 - here is a nother terrific bit of wisdom thanks to aiken:

Quote:
Which one to buy?

The bottom line is this: don't worry about whether an amp is "class A" or not. If you are interested in details, find out if it is cathode-biased or fixed-biased, and whether is uses global negative feedback or not, whether it uses a pentode, triode, or ultralinear output stage, and what type of output tubes are used. These parameters will give an idea of the "feel" of the amp, but in the end, you still must play the amp and use your ears to tell you which one is best suited for your playing style. Don't make a decision based on technical specs alone, you may miss out on a great-sounding amplifier!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:24 pm 

Hi, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.
is there a schematic available for the SE TC-15? I'd like to see how the channels come together and if they can be jumpered or not(phase issues).

I've got a 2W(12AU7 powered) Spitfire that I currently use and would love a slightly louder parallel SE TC-15 to make use of this beefy EL34/KT88 capable OT that I have instead of going PP. Using a 5E7 chassis for it, so no tone control on the pentode channel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:03 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Corwin,

Sorry to say, I have not had a chance to work on this! One thing is for sure, the tone of the amp would change going to a SE design. No doubt you can mix the two channels but they will be out of phase. The EF86 has a pentode and the regular channel has a two triodes. AKA no jumping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:17 pm 

hmmm, guess I could just use my A/B switch to go between channels. would they sum together via 220-470K resistors a la Marshall or BF Fender channels?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:43 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yeah, that's the way I would start to blend them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:06 pm 
Novice
Novice

I did this and it sounded pretty darn good. I literally copied the Vox Top Boost preamp and grafted it onto the AX-84 5W EL-84 output. It drove that poor little power bottle into oblivion until I dropped a voltage divider in fron of it.

Very Voxy in an extremely smooth way. It didn't have a "crunchy" tone at all which I attribute to the lack of a class AB output section. Very smooth and fat.

I liked it, but I like the sizzling crunchy sound even more and converted the preamp to the front end from a Carvin Vintage 30. It's basically a Fender preamp with a Baxandall tone stack. It was pure Marshall heaven after this change. I boxed it up and sold it to a friend who still has it as far as I know.