trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:40 pm 
Novice
Novice

well, i'm getting more and more impressed with this little amp :)

i know the sound is going to change when i hook it into two 10's rather than the 2x12 that it's attached to, but here's what i've discovered so far..

it's got a lot more dirt than i was expecting, which is a pleasant surprise, but it cleans up very nicely when you drop the volumes a tad, but it doesn't 'lose' volume so you've got a nice range of control.

the tone controls take some getting used to, because they've got such a wide range and they're interactive, but they've got a lot of control, and give you a nice wide range of options.

i haven't noticed too much sagging when i play it loud, but maybe i'm just not playing right, hahah ...

it's VERY pedal friendly... i've got a boss mega distortion pedal which when put at a reasonable level of distortion and with the bass boost on the pedal cranked, you can get some extremely nice heavy sounds out of it too. It's not room-shaking, but it doesn't fart out on the bass, and the distortion sounds amazing (the boss mega distortion pedal is a bit touchy to work with, it's very easy to make it sound shitty, but you can coax some amazing sounds out of it to).... anyway, this is nice because it means i can play it on a nice sexy just barely broken up level, and then with a kick of the pedal i can make it scream too.

the master volume is a tad touchy too down when it's very low; you can play it at 'practice' volumes but it's a fairly narrow range.. not as narrow as on my fender roc pro (which is a surprisingly nice amp too, but ludicrously loud)... but with just a little tweak of the knob, it goes from baby quiet to blisteringly loud. This puppy's going to keep up very well, especially if i match my celestion speaker with another high-sensitivity one.

anyway... i'm VERY happy with this amp ... i wish i could play better so i could give it the treatment it deserves :)

oh and btw the different pickup modes on my sg sound great through it; nice wide range of tones and very different auditory characteristics.

thanks stephen, and everyone else!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:38 am 
Novice
Novice

oh yeah i forgot to mention, i'm using all JJ 12ax7's, and ei elite el84's, the transformers are both heyboers, and the choke is just the standard hammond 10h one... :)

i might try throwing in a 12at7 as the first preamp tube just to see what happens, haha .. i've got one lying around so why not?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:04 am 
Novice
Novice

My parts are all supposedly "on the way".

S2 transformers should show up any day now.

Nik at Ceri@tone said my parts are shipping this week.

Extra parts for "Cut" and 16-ohm output sitting in a box along with a fresh set of JJs.

BBQ alnicos sitting in a box--the good news is they're already broken in--I pulled them out of an amp I sold last year.

Trinity cab should arrive about the time my chassis is done,

I can't wait.

P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:40 am 
Novice
Novice

witeshade wrote:
oh yeah i forgot to mention, i'm using all JJ 12ax7's, and ei elite el84's, the transformers are both heyboers, and the choke is just the standard hammond 10h one... :)

i might try throwing in a 12at7 as the first preamp tube just to see what happens, haha .. i've got one lying around so why not?

Congrats on the Lighting Build!!!

8) Try an NOS 5751 in V1. Good stuff!!! I use an NOS RCA 5751 sometimes in my personal Thunderbolt 9 and it's instant Dr Z c@rmen ghi@.

CR ><>

WoodCross Amps