trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:05 pm 
Novice
Novice

I finally got the pics to work. I'd appreciate any feedback you guys may have.

Thanks,

Eric

Last edited by Shaka on Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:11 pm 
Novice
Novice

If I can figure out how to post the pics that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:47 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

are all pins 4&5 on 12ax7s tied together?
are all the gound points connected to ground?
input jacks looks ok from what i can see

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:25 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
are all pins 4&5 on 12ax7s tied together?
are all the gound points connected to ground?
input jacks looks ok from what i can see

Oops, I didn't have 4&5 tied together on the first two 12ax7's. That is now fixed

All the grounds are connected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:54 pm 
Novice
Novice

Ok I put the rectifier in and something is obviously wrong. It lights up but I'm not getting much voltage in most places.

On the rectifier I have 298 VAC across the mains (pins 4 and 6) On pin 2 I have 5.2 and pin 9 I have .2 Of course I have nothing flowing across pin nine so my caps aren't getting charged.

On the heater wires (blue and white) going across the rest of the tubes everything reads 3.3 VAC all the way across.

Anyone have any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:11 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Re-check the wiring on the 6.3V AC heater wires at the tranny. Looks like you might have one half to the ground instead of AC. The ground goes to chassis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:41 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
Re-check the wiring on the 6.3V AC heater wires at the tranny. Looks like you might have one half to the ground instead of AC. The ground goes to chassis.

I have the two solid green heater wires hooked to the two 2 position terminal strip which of course hooks to the white and blue heater wires. Does it matter which one of the wires goes to the blue or white?

Currently I have the lighter green wire with the white stripe going to ground.

Thanks for all your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:40 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

No but there should be 6+ VAC across those wires. You might check across the each green to green white. Neither of those greens is touching ground is it? Possibly on the terminal strip??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:10 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
No but there should be 6+ VAC across those wires. You might check across the each green to green white. Neither of those greens is touching ground is it? Possibly on the terminal strip??

I just checked the terminal strips and each registers 3.38 VAC. It's the same whether I check to the chassis or the green/white ground wire. The terminal strip doesn't look like it's grounded in any way but what I think I'll do is unbolt it from the chassis and then check it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:25 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

bit of a puzzle. pull all tubes & measure the heater voltages; then you may have to disconnect the heater wires atthe term strip & measure all AC voltages. got to have 6+ VAC on those heaters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:39 am 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
bit of a puzzle. pull all tubes & measure the heater voltages; then you may have to disconnect the heater wires atthe term strip & measure all AC voltages. got to have 6+ VAC on those heaters.

ok I pulled the green 6.3v heater wires. Each wire to ground gives me 3.3V.

The red wires to pins 4 and 6 of the rectifier each give 298V to ground.

The orange 5V heater wire to pin 2 of the rectifier registers 5.44V to ground. The other wire to pin 9 registers next to nothing.

Black wires to power switch measure 122V.

Even pulling those heater wires off things stay the same.

Here's a question. I was looking at the layout and noticed that it looks like the solid black wire going to the power switch is grounded to one of the power transformer mounting bolts. Is it supposed to be grounded there? I do not have it grounded. Could this be the problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:03 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

What is the voltage across the green wires. If it measures 3+ to ground wire, then it should be 6+ between green-green. Then when you hook the heater wires (blue and white) going across the rest of the tubes, you should read 6.+ VAC all the way across.

Your voltages look good to me. As far as the solid black wire going to the power switch being grounded to one of the power transformer mounting bolts, I've never done that. So I doubt that would be the problem.

That looks like an OEM tranny. Then here are the connections.

Last edited by coco on Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Schematic & Layout Post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:06 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Trinity 15 Docs Post:

viewtopic.php?p=4139#4139

Last edited by coco on Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:22 am 
Experienced
Experienced

fixed your link Stephen:

viewtopic.php?p=4139#4139

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:31 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thanks. that's an ew one! Updated my post as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:17 am 
Novice
Novice

Oh ok, I was using an outdated layout. That new pic will help a bunch. A couple of things I noticed is that I have the pilot light wired in with the 6.3v heater. I also have the black and black/white and the brown and brown/white reversed.

Yes I measured across the heater wires and I get over 6V. I thought I was supposed to measure to the ground. Derrrr, us newbies would be lost without you guys.

Ok, I'll hook things back up and come at you guys again with what I'm sure will be following questions.

Thanks!

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:26 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Stephen's layouts are top notch!

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:36 pm 
Novice
Novice

Revv23 wrote:
Stephen's layouts are top notch!

Good luck!

Oh I agree completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:48 pm 
Novice
Novice

Ok, I rewired some of the heater wiring. I think part of my problem is I may have had a couple of the heater that had tiny gobs of solder shorting them to each other.

Without the rectifier installed I know have 6.7v all the way across the heater wires.

I also switched the black and black/white wire to the power input and the brown and brown and brown/white to the power switch. I found it interesting that in the new layout the wire from the fuse is now on pin 2 of the switch and the brown wires on pin one.

One casualty was the pilot light. I also followed the new layout and put a wire from pin one on the power switch to the light and another wire from the power input (the same pin the black wires from the transformer is hooked to) over to the light. When I switched on the power the light blew. Is it ok just to run wires from the 6.3v heater terminal straight into the light?

On the humorous side of things when the light blew I originally thought it was the fuse. I switched the power off but didn't unplug the power cord before I changed out the fuse and managed to electricute myself. The jolt caused me to involuntarily heave the cap for the fuse recepticle somewhere in my messy office. I spent the better part of two hours looking for it. This was a definite Homer Simpson moment. I sure the feeling will return to my hand sometime in the near future.

One last question. Where's the best place to get the lightbulbs? Would an auto parts store have something like this? Radio Shack? The bulb is an 1847. Also what kind of light is this. I might want to pick up a blue version.

Thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:58 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I think the wiring was for 115 V! But, shocking aside, just wire it directly to the 6.3vac heater term strip. Not sure if Radio shack has them but probably. It's a bayonet mount, not screw mount. I havent seen a blue one of those from that supplier but have seen green & amber. Get the amp going then dress it up as much as you want!

BE CAREFUL AROUND THOSE HIGH VOLTAGES. THEY CAN KILL YOU! :shock: