trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TC15 vs Plexi 18
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:12 pm 
Friend
Friend

I have a Trinity 18 watt plexi head and I'd like to know how it compares with the TC15 in terms of the following:

-Headroom
-Overall Volume
-How it takes pedals
-Saturation when cranked

I ask this because I need a cleaner platform to use with pedals that does not go into hi-gain territory when pushed. The plexi is an awesome amp, but it saturates too much for me. Are there any mods available for the tc15 that increase headroom?

If I buy the amp, I will for sure go with a 30 watt, anybody have any experience with a 30 watt version and care to comment on how it could compare to my plexi 18?

thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:35 pm 
Friend
Friend

Nobody

:?: :?: :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:07 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Not that many people have both!! The difference is clarity & crunch. The 15 has a real chime to it and some excellent cleans. The 18 has cleans to a degree but it get's crunchy and it's not so chimey. When the 15 overdrives, it's not a crunchy Marshally sound. The 15 generally is a brighter amp too.

And of course the tone controls on the 15 are very different than the 18.
My $2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:58 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I have built both the 18 wayy sIII and the original 15 watter (TC 15 kit on the way!)

My experiences playing both amps over the past year (bar gigs and home playing).

-volume is about the same
- the 15 watter has a LOT more clean headroom.
- the 15 seems for me to take pedals much better. I use my 15 almost exclusively to gig due to the fact it, with my pedal board (a chorus, a few overdrives - tube screamer and a plexitube, delay and wah) it allows me to play anything from a chimy crystal clean Tom Petty tune, to anything in 60's/70's rock and roll up to modern rock with the plexitube pedal. The 18 watter gets too "fat" with an OD in my opinion. I love the natural OD the amp has on its own but I cant get it to sound the way I like with an OD pedal the way I can get the 15 to sound.
- I like the 15's tone (high, low) controls. Very responsive and depending upon what guitar I am playing it is easy to add or cut bass/treble and do it simply and quickly.

If I had to choose one, it would be the 15 for its versatility. But I LOVE my 18' as well and the best thing to do it build one of each! :)

I cant wait to try the TC15 though and the ef86 side of life :)

AJC

PS I also have the Deluxe... another completely different animal!