trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:14 pm 
Friend
Friend

First off, a big hello to everyone! I've been sifting through the forum for a while now, pointed this direction by JamesO, lots of great info to be found!

Quick bit of background: I'm a guitar maker and player, neither professionally, although I like to think I'm a better builder than I am a player. I tend to spend more time building than playing, anyway, so here's hoping that's true! Thing is, making things makes you see other things and decide you can probably make those too, and when someone like James posts a completed, very pretty amp in a guitar making forum, someone like me gets ideas.

Long story short: I just paid Stephen for a TC-15 kit + transformer set + set of tubes. It'll be a while arriving, as I'm having it shipped ground to the Netherlands, which gives me time to polish up my schematic reading skills, peruse the basic amp book I've got to try and understand what's going on, etc.

Now, I'm thinking of making a few modifications to the 'standard' amp kit. Let's start with what I suspect is fairly simple:

- pentode/triode switch for the EF86 preamp tube, as found on the Vox AC-15 heritage handwired series. Briefly tried one out, and I really liked the 'cleanup' that provided.

- Pentode/triode / Half power switch for the amp overall. Again, Heritage Handwired. 15 watts is still frighteningly loud, and sometimes I don't want to kill the neighbours.

Anyone done this? Anything to keep in mind/tips for wiring it up properly (ie, cable runs, layout, that sort of thing)

Now the slightly more complex: I don't use much in the way of effects, but I do like my reverb. A fully buffered, parallel effects loop would be ideal, but seems a little much to bite off. On the other hand, how about a proper tube driven reverb, with an accutronics 3 spring long delay tank? Not sure which circuit diagram to study/steal from, and I'll certainly be posting an adjusted schematic for the experts to critique when I have it sorted out. I've read several discussions about 'foldback' reverb, and I'd be very curious to hear any clips recorded with it, because I think it's not going to be quite as rich as I'd like it to be. I mean, I 'grew up' on a solid state fender 112 deluxe, which for all its boring sterility does have that nice, rich, fendery reverb. No character or distortion that doesn't make you want to pull out your hair, but still. The reverb on my Rivera TBR, by comparison, is weak.

So, what do folks think of feasibility? In terms of controls (I'm going for a head+cab, so extra controls on the back panel), a simple one knob or two knob design?

Finally, cab design. Seeing as I have large stacks of tonewoods, and good relationships with my local wood yards (ie, I buy lots of their stock, they tend to give me discounts), I'm thinking I'll be going with a solid wood head and cab enclosure. Type to be determined, possibly white Limba or African Mahogany with maple and wenge trim. I've more or less settled on a 2x12", although not yet on the dimensions - will play the amp through some sample cabs at a store before deciding.

Re: speakers, I've got a bit of a dilemma. My slight preference is a Vox Blue + G12H (or just 2 Vox Blues), but that means I can't use the cab with my 60 watt Rivera. I can't find the specs on the Tone Tubbys, but can they handle 60 watts of tube in a 2x12? Website's thin on specifics...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:19 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I'll have to give this some thought. Lots of questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:04 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Can't help with the tech questions, but African mahogany and maple cabs sound good to me.

There are pictures of the 2x12 cab and head that coco built for me in the gallery. African mahogany case with maple panel bluesbreaker style cab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:55 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Need to get you some info on this request. Anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:43 am 
Expert
Expert

I wonder if, with your experience, it might be better to wait for any modifications until after you've completed the TC. Although that is entirely up to you. I'm sure I have, somewhere around here, the info you need. Just have to come across it.
Here's a discussion on the power ratings of Tone Tubby's;
http://online-discussion.dhenderson.com ... .php?t=213
Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:06 am 
Friend
Friend

Jac: you're probably right, although I do like my reverb. I figure I want to at least drill the holes in the chasis that need drilling before completing the amp, even if I don't install switches, tubes and extra wiring yet. At least get things sorted on paper so I avoid any major layout problems if/when I decide to install the reverb (ie, where do I put the tank, how do I run the wires, as I'm planning on building a head rather than a cab).

Thanks for the link, I'm going to go sift through the info now!

Coco: I've been horribly busy so I haven't had time to sit down and scribble at schematics, but I think I'll try and draw up my own and have you/folks on a local Dutch forum (helpful bunch, may be able to get some hands-on help if I get too lost) double-check them for me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:02 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We'd be glad to help. It's not straight forward as to where to install into the circuilt.