trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dirt pedals
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:10 am 
Novice
Novice

Just wondering about the experience of others using pedals with the Lightning 15. I bought mine used; not sure who built it. It appears to be an original 15 (pre TC-15) and I find most of my overdrive and distortion pedals sound very thin through the amp. These include the Zendrives (I and II), various Barbers, a couple of Carl Martins, Boss Blues Driver. The one that I like is the Mesa V-Twin on the blues channel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:36 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

It took me a number of pedals to get the "right one" for me through my Trinity 15 and TC-15.

I recommend the Radial Tone Bone "Hot British", and more so the "Plexi tube"! I use the Plexi tube (its two Hot British's in one case) for a dual over drive. It can do rock, hard rock and metal just fine. Anything from fat and warm to scooped and dark. Goes PERFECT with the 15.

I also use a stock Ibanez TS808 set to a mild/warm OD and I just picked up an Tech 21 Randy Bachman"American Woman Overdrive" which is more fuzz like and fat and sounds great!

WHat I didnt like at all with the amp was anything similar to a dunlop/mxr distortion+ (including my old ROss distortion), Toad works lil leo, my dual Ratt, and a few others.

If you can, try out one of the radial pedals... man they are awesome!

AJC

Last edited by ajcoholic on Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Seymour Duncan Twin Tube
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:41 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks, AJC, for the helpful input on this. I wonder if you tried the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube? I don't have a TC-15 yet - am building one presently - but compared the Twin Tube with the other tube type overdrives, including the tone bones, and the Twin Tube won hands down to my ears. But that was with my old Mesa Boogie, so my experimentation is admittedly limited. The TT does also sound very good with my Trinity Deluxe, though, so I'm inclined to think it will sound great with the TC-15. Any thoughts on this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:18 pm 
Novice
Novice

hey guys, build yourself a nice b.y.o.c. screamer clone and tweak it to your likings, nothing can comme closer to bliss than that ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:30 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

HarmonyoftheSpheres wrote:
Thanks, AJC, for the helpful input on this. I wonder if you tried the Seymour Duncan Twin Tube? I don't have a TC-15 yet - am building one presently - but compared the Twin Tube with the other tube type overdrives, including the tone bones, and the Twin Tube won hands down to my ears. But that was with my old Mesa Boogie, so my experimentation is admittedly limited. The TT does also sound very good with my Trinity Deluxe, though, so I'm inclined to think it will sound great with the TC-15. Any thoughts on this?

I an sorry, no experience with that pedal... but finish your TC15 and try er' out! :)

Its funny about the "thin" sound though, some OD's just work well with the 15 and some just plain dont.

ON the TC15 (vs the original) it is also very cool to have both sides of the amp available with a Y switcher pedal. Through the ef86 side you get a very warm, middly tone vs the other side where you can get a brighter, almost heavier sound.

The TC 15 combined with a Y and a few overdrives gives a TON of possible tones available at your toes.. :)

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:47 pm 
Novice
Novice

I find a regular ol' Tubescreamer works great. The SD1 also sounds good through my Lightning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:18 pm 
Expert
Expert

:thumbsup: on the Tubescreamer. I have an original and am just starting to experiment with pedals. With my TC :D The Tubescreamer seems to really like the amp. But, beware, I just started and I have no calluses right now. So is my opinion worth anything? :shock:
Just try what you have and enjoy. Buy what you think is cool and enjoy :happydance: :happydance:
and music continues through experimentation and love.
Life goes on :D :D

Post subject: Ohhhhhh
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

I think a light may have gone on. Fooling around with one of my favourite overdrives and found a HUGE difference with how it sounded depending on the amp's Vol (pre-amp vol, not master). Not much experience with master volume amps, so I might just have missed an important element in using the pedal with the amp.