trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:11 pm 

Has anyone heard both transformers and could comment on the difference between them ? I'm also interested in knowing if the laydown trans will fit easily on the stock chassis - if it's just a matter of carving a hole for it. Otherwise its a standup option. Are the Power trans voltages and current ratings about identical ? Could they be substituted easily ? Cutouts about the same ?

I like Stephan's circuit but I havent bought trannys yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:51 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Hope this helps:

In this posting [ http://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=820 ] about the prototype testing, lbethune wrote:

lbethune wrote:
I find that the amp has two very different channels. Once sweeter and one
tougher. Many of us know and love the Trinity 15. The trinity 15 channel
on the amp is just like that. Although, the use of Trinity transformers does
affect the tone. Just a little more compression and grind that the standard trannys.

The EF-86 channel brings a new world of crunch and munch. That channel
has quite a bit of meaty midrange gain but, when you roll back the
volume, it cleans up super well. It sounds really nice like that and most of
the clean parts on the clips are done that way. The first clean section on
TC_15_1.mp3 clip, where the guitar is in the middle position, almost
sounds like a tele! I'll have to try a strat there and see if we have
quackage as well. When you turn up the guitar you get nice rhythm
crunch AND creamy leads depending on guitar settings. See the beginning
of clip 2 for the cream.

Good job coco.

coco wrote:
Quote:
Although, the use of Trinity transformers does affect the tone. Just a little more compression and grind that the standard trannys.

One thought. Your 15 has 50 watt Schumacher OT in it so it would have less compression and grind than the OEM or Trinity trasnformers. I remember testing it head-to-head against a 15 with the OEM 15 watt set with you and Wendell Ferguson jamming/testing and recall the clarity of your custom version. I think our set is an excellent match to the OEMs.

I do want to change the impedance to 8K and re-try though. Might be a nice option to incorporate into the design, and besides, it's just sitting right there, waiting to be used!

In http://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/posting.php?mode=quote&p=9995 ajcoholic wrote:

ajcoholic wrote:
OK, so you guys know how I feel about this amp... the original 15 I have had for over a year now and my TC15 I have been playing religiously for near two weeks now.

Amazing! The tones coming out of this thing are hard to describe without sounding crazy. Super clean, clear and chimy - and now that I have had time to fool with the EF86 channel I am near speachless. When I push my overdrives (tonebone plexitube and TS808) through the channel 1, it is the fullest, richest, creamiest overdrive you have EVER heard. I am currently playing/practicing (for an upcoming bar gig) in my home through both my 16 ohm 4x12 (C V30's) and 16 ohn 2x12 (TT alnico and ceramic) hooked in parallel. The sound is amazing!!!

I bet if you could get guitar players to try one of these for an hour, you could sell millions...

My friend Danny, the guy I just completed his TC15 for and delivered it yesterday to, called me today and asked me if I wanted to buy his "baby", his Orange Rockerverb 50 head. I laughed - know exaclty what he meant as my Orange went up for sale (as well as my Fender DRRI) after I discovered the 15.

I may sound a little crazy, but it is that good.

Now I must get back to one Ibanez AR300, my TC15 and some ROCK and ROLL!!! :)

AJC

Power trans voltages and current ratings are indeed about identical although the OEM version is massive. Weve used both.

You cant really use the laydown OT in this as once you do that, there is no room left for tubes. It would end up being about 2" deeper chassis.
It should be possible to use the OEM in a standup [bracket added] configuration.

The RS clone was originally a hi-fi OT. We think it does pretty well in this application PLUS, it has the dual impedance which is rare in OTs.