trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:20 am 
Novice
Novice

I've ordered a TC-15 kit and have done a little reading on the Forum. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts or experience with the following:

1) Re the EF86 vibration issue, BBQ sells a 9-pin anti-vibration socket. It has a couple of springs and what look like small rubber washers. Anyone tried it? The idea to use a short section of foam plumbing pipe insulation is a good idea that seems to be working for a couple of users. It would, of course, be easier to decide what to use before wiring up the socket the first time.

2) One or two folks have said the TC-15 doesn't have a lot of clean headroom. That may be lack of experience with the many setting options, I don't know. The posted clips, to my ears, do run toward the crunchier side even when labelled "clean" (this is not a criticism, I love crunch and munch! Just looking for maximum versatility). Anyone tried a lower power tube for the first 12AX7, such as a 12AY7, or another? Or would that reduce the beautiful saturation too much when the amp is cranked? I know I will experiment when mine is built, but just wondering ahead of time...

3) Besides Stephen's use of an Amperex Bugle Boy EF86 in a TC-15 (I think I read that), anyone have other NOS tubes they really like in that position? Do you think NOS make a big enough improvement over the better quality new production stuff as to warrant the hefty prices? (I do play RCA NOS in my Trinity Deluxe, and they sound very good)

Thanks!
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:31 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

IF you use a good EF86 vibration wont be a problem. You can use silicone O rings if it is. Somehere in the forum there's some ideas on those rings. The BBQ idea does look interesting tho I dont use it.

I would not necessarily agree that the TC15 doesnt have a lot of cleans. It can do clean and it can do dirty. It's all how you set it up and play your guitar. It is very sensitive to touch and has a lot of gain on tap.

Read this quote from a recording engineer who picked up his new TC15 today after doing this review:

"One of my Strats has Custom Shop '54 pickups - WOW. Gorgeous. Worth buying the amp for this sound alone. it's THAT good.
It's a great hollow body amp as well. Interestingly, I'm not a huge fan of
humbuckers through the DC-30 (better through AC-30), so I was curious how yours would fare. As I said, it was great with my hollow body, and it was INCREDIBLE with this weirdo Les Paul that I have (it's a Studio made of Swamp Ash, ebony board, with very modern pickups - it's a bright LP without the usual low-mid buildup and a much tighter bottom than a LP Standard).
So, this is GREAT news for me - can handle a wide variety of guitar types.
I fell in love with the EF86 channel today - contour is great. This channel was awesome with the LP especially. Clean tones on both channels
are phenomenal. Mid gain growl on both channels with a variety of guitars
is awesome."

and ...

"So to sum up my impressions today - top end on the amp is SPECTACULAR! Bright, but with a soft smoothness - velvety. Obvious phenomenal clean tones, but as I get to know the amp more, some amazing and very special
higher gain tones as well.
"

I'm hoping to get his entire review up soon.

I hear the Tung Sols are good but I have captured the market for those Amperex tubes :twisted: . They are excellent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:10 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I use a very nice NOS 5751 (a mil 12AY7) in the V1 position of my 5E7 Bandmaster, but that amp is almost all clean headroom anyway which is where the Bandmaster just shines. I don't own a XX-15 (yet) so I can't comment on the effect of a lower gain tube in that application. Also, don't rule out a well-matched 5751 in the phase inverter position. A bit less gain, but more stounce to the output tubes.
It would be nice if you could switch between two different type V1 tubes on the fly, sort of like the V6 does on the output... Stephen?

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:23 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

joeyvelour wrote:
It would be nice if you could switch between two different type V1 tubes on the fly, sort of like the V6 does on the output... Stephen?

Joe G

Would be a challenge. When you switch pre-amp tubes things go BANG!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:05 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Do you mean "bang" like flames, destruction, Technicolorâ„¢, or bang like baby there goes my new Celestions? How about switching V1's in a "standby only" sort of thing, just as a quick A/B test setup. It would be nice to compare on the fly.
Know what... maybe it would be easier to just re-amp dry tracks and compare that way. Stupid technology takes all the fun out of everything :roll:

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 9:52 am 
Experienced
Experienced

What are you saying Joe?? That "flames, destruction and Technicolor" aren't fun???!!!??? ;)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:09 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Only if Trinity is sponsoring me :wink: Who do I look like... Richie Blackmore??

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:55 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Yeah, well from your smiley there, you do look like Richie a bit!!! ;) Wait, so do I!!!

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:53 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Anytime you switch a pre-amp stage circuit, the result gets amplified all the way up the chain so it's really hard to get it to be silent. Even standby tubes but possibly with some optical switching it might be acceptable.

rjgtr designed an sIII One once with switched cascaded hi boost first stage and it seemed to work fine. Switched with optical devices. The circuit and clips are in this forum if you search for it.