trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TC-15 tubes recommended?
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:21 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hey, Stephen, I just noticed on my second or third read of LB's informative review of the Trinity 15 that he liked the tubes you had installed in the amp he used. To wit, "the tubes you selected just rock." The TC-15 circuit differs from the 15, but I am curious which tubes you do like best? You've mentioned Amperex for the EF86, but have you tried others there (I hate to buy this amp twice just by purchasing NOS tubes, unless it really makes a sizeable difference)? How about the EL84s, 12AX7, and the 5AR4? I think you started a thread on this a couple months ago, but I haven't found any response.

Other TC-15 Masters out there, what is your pleasure as well? Any opinions on this?

Thanks,
Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:03 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

JJ / Amperex EF86 is what I typically use. I have tried the Russian winged C EF86 but went back to the Amperex. I heard the Tung Sol EF86 are good. ajcoholic used them.
Also heard the JJ are but have not tried them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:52 pm 
Friend
Friend

I'm running a JJ EF-86 (actually EF-806) in my TC-15. JJ calls it a EF-806, but it's the same tube functionally. However, I believe it's pretty different in its construction from the NOS tubes that have the big mesh plates. I have zero complaints about my JJ, it sounds great (and similar to the clips here), but I'm curious to hear the difference. Though I'm not sure my curiosity is really worth NOS tube $$$. :shock:

I was actually just outbid on ebay for a pair of tested RCA branded Amperex EF-86s. (they went for 45$ for the pair, actually not that bad - the new, new stock JJ tube is about 30$). Next time...maybe...