trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:20 pm 
Novice
Novice

I have been playing my Lightning with the cut control disengaged because I was having problems with it. Anyway I decided to order a new master volume pot in case the old pot was causing the problem.

When I wired in the new pot the cut problem was still there. An additional problem popped up. Now when I turn up the master past about 9 o'clock the amp gets very fuzzy and distorted. This occurs whether the cut control is in the circuit or not. I switched back to the old pot and have the same problem. I've switched out the tubes and reflowed some solder joints but am not having luck pinpointing the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas what would be causing this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

Actually I figured it out.

It turns out that one of the primaries coming off my output transformer was not hooked up right or something. Using my trusty chop stick I fiddled around and then got to this wire. (The white one which I have going to pin seven of the output tube closest to the rectifier) Anyway by prodding it near where it came out of the transformer I was able to get the problem to go away. It turns out that small amount of prodding was all it took to get it to contact with the solder joint correctly. Evidently this was also causing the troubles I've been having with the cut control.

This leads me to a question. Does it matter which tube the primaries from the output transformer go to? I would assume it doesn't but you guys are all more experienced so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:59 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Shaka wrote:
This leads me to a question. Does it matter which tube the primaries from the output transformer go to? I would assume it doesn't but you guys are all more experienced so I thought I'd ask.

Good work. Always nice to know you've fixed a problem.

In some cases the orintation of the wires to the primaries/tubes can cause a squeal if the polarites are mismatched. The solution in this case is to reverse the leads. So, it does matter - some times!