trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:47 pm 
Friend
Friend

I stumbled accross this thread looking for a HIWATT build,,,,Ive always wanted a HIWATT......How close are we Stephen?
Cheers!

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... 503&page=4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:23 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Well, keep posted. Something is in the works & I am working with a well known 18 watt amp designer from the UK. He has just moved to Toronto from the UK and we met, had dinner and hooked up on this project together.

I can tell you, it is pretty exciting. Hope to have a prototype within the month.

Some ideas on new product ideas here:
viewtopic.php?t=1268

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:11 am 
Friend
Friend

Tell me its not one of the original HIWATT or Sound City guys!!?
That would be major.....you must have a picture or something??
a teaser? Whatever it is im sure it will give the REEVES 20 watter a good run..or even the curent HIWATT 20!!!
Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:18 pm 
Friend
Friend

Usually no relply for this sort of questioning is kinda like pleading the 5th in the states....Heres to hoping Stephen is being quiet in hopes of not further incriminating himself !!!!!!! C'mon Hiwatt!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:35 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I can confirm that Stephen is taking this Hiwatt thing very seriously. I put a bug in his ear about it a few months back, and we've had a few conversations about it since. It is my belief that it will happen, and it will be GREAT. Anyone wanna buy my DR103???!!!??? LOL! :D

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:26 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Confirmed. We are working on a HIWATT based type amp with bells & whistles. It will give those others a run for their money guaranteed and it wont be clone either.
I'll start up a new thread on that one soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:35 pm 
Friend
Friend

WHOOOOOOOAAAAA HAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAA HA HA (EVIL LAUGH)
The Big Guns Are Commin!!
The only thing better than a HIWATT is a HIWATT EATER!!!!
GO TRINITY

Post subject: HiWatt distinctives
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:29 pm 
Novice
Novice

OK, all you HiWatt aficianados. For those of us less than familiar with that amp, while we await the revelation of Stephen's new design, can you share a few thoughts/descriptions of why you so love HiWatt? It's obvious there is a great passion for them among Trinity folks. I did play a borrowed one back in the 70s, one of those massive 200 watt things, and almost blew out my eardrums trying to get a pushed sound. I know Stephen will be building something of much less wattage, but what is unique about the HiWatt sound? Let's pass around the appetizers, the hors d'oevres, of HiWatt qualities, while awaiting the entree, what say?

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:42 am 
Friend
Friend

What I like most about the HIWATT is the ability to have clear,seemingly endless clean headroom. The massive volume thing is true, the bigger they got the louder they got...but devastatigly clear.
To help explain how just clear and loud they got..Ill use a movie scene,from X-men..
Dr.Xavier arrives at Jean Grey's house to try and convince her to let him help. In a rage she causes the whole of matter itself to swirl and unravel in the house....as things begin to swirl away to the abyss Dr.Xavier is lifted from his wheelchair.As he hangs in mid-air time slows into slow motion.....As he realizes the unruly power before him,and just how bad he's gonna get it, his eye squints and a smirk forms in the corner of his mouth. Then all hell breaks loose and he gets vaporized.

Hiwatts are much the same.....you get that stupid smirk,right before your ears catch fire and you go unconcious. All from clean.
Much similar to the bowel emptying bone shattering grind of a good crunch channel.

The beauty was that the Hiwatt was like a monstrous pristine canvas that you cound add to. David Gilmour put a hundred stompboxes in front of his, and did wonders. Pete Townsend just liked the volume,now he's deaf.
You could shape a hiwatt to any tonal color you liked with the boxes, as opposed to the Fenders,Marshalls,Vox's that all kind of gave you one sound.
Hiwatt also was able of very big gain and distortion.....but generally they were favored to be used clean and fed stompboxes. Youd have a hell of a time trying to drive it to distortion with a turn of a volume knob. Surely not the type of amp that breaks up nicely at 7!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:51 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I have a Hylight era DR-103 - THE classic Hiwatt... actually Stephen was going to use it as reference for his design!! :) Anyway, all the cliches are true - really loud, lots of clean headroom, yada yada...

The thing I like about Hiwatt is the flavour of the tone. Clean it is like no other - it's not really hi-fi or lo-fi, it doesn't really sparkle or chime... it's TOUGH. As in tight, forward, big... AUTHORITATIVE. There's a pissed off cockney Brit in there somewhere, but he's never un-polite. Kind of like an irreverent intellectual! LOL! When it breaks up (and different from Chris' experience above, I can get mine to drive without too much ear bleed), it's more of the same authority. It's the kind of amp that if it's in the context of another amp, you'll notice the Hiwatt first... but this isn't because tonally it's really out in left field - it's very "meat & potatoes"... but really expensive sounding and exquisitely prepared meat & potatoes... comfort food for developed tastebuds as it were...

Does this make any sense?? Hope so...

Hard not to LOVE a Hiwatt. :D

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:02 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks, Chris and Brent.

Very helpful descriptions. Guess I'll have to start saving up!

Jim