trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:35 pm 
Friend
Friend

I have just completed the TC-15 build. What a great experience I had!
The kit arrived within days of the initial order, complete with the manual,relevant parts and the offer to contact Stephen at any time if I became stranded! Now that I have visited the forum, I wish I would have used the community as a tool, instead of emailing poor Mr.Cohrs! Whom I might add was always gracious and prompt with his answers.

Some problems I had were worth mention to assist in the builds of others in the future.

- Using the JJ rectifier tube, I had larger voltages than the manual stated,nothing outlandish but well above the charted ones. I was worried!

-I had the initial build together, took it for a test run. Was loud and great...then died down to a fizzly half volume mess. I could smell smoke
and had thought the world was ending. After a few days of tinkering with the chopstick I leaned over the chasis to look inside one last time, and the shadow of my body allowed me to catch a fast glimpse of the crunch munch switch shorting just ever so slightly....I leaned back to see a whisp if the smoke I had smelled earlier. I must have heated the leads of the switch too much, shorting them inside the switch itself. A quick swap left me back at full pop.

-The voltages on all the tubes were gone all in one instant. (at the same time the volume went. The taps on the PT were good,coming off the rectifier they were around 15 volts,....Re-heatiing the joints found my cold solder problem....at the rectifier! Also worth a mention.....Just cause you have a meter, doesnt mean it works!!! My voltages being all over also had to do in oart to a broken lead on my meter!

-BIG TIP!!! I've done electronics projects before....Ive serviced my own gear....... I GOT COCKY!!!!! I read some of the instructions....And spent alot of time rewiring...... EXAMPLE: I looked at the schem for the tube heaters....the first one..EL84...Second..EL84...Kept going....Miswired the preamp section. Found it after all the other wires were run to the board.
I could have cried. I will need to re wire at a later time, just to clean it up.

-The bigest tip I just read after the build was done...... Stephen had included a black and white schematic, It mentioned that a good idea was to highlight each wire after it was done, until all were done.
If I'd done that, I never would have had a problem...other than melting my switch!

-I thought I was too good to read all the guidebook, it would have been worth my while, especially if it meant not feeling the shame, panic and embarasment when it didnt fire up!! Quite the blow!!!! lol

Anyways I hope this may help some perspective Kit Buyer or Builder,
What a great product! I see transformers going for more than this kit costs!!The support- outstanding, and the sound!! A great LOUD amp, so many choices with swaping tubes!! Clean,Crunch,Cleaner yet!WOW.
Thanks again to the Trinity Crew.
I will be back for a 18 watt very soon.
Regards!
Chris D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:58 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thanks for the review. The switches need just the right amount of heat. and good advice on the build.

Maybe the manual needs a review?