trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Speaker Confusion
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:18 am 

Is there any difference in sound quality between a 8 or 16 ohm speaker? I know a 16 ohm speaker would be an easier load on an amplifier but with a TC-15 amp is this a consideration. If you were going to use a multi speaker cabinet would the ohmage then have to be taken into account. I am presently leaning towards a 1 X 12.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:40 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I have used a lot of single (in 1x12 cabs) speakers in both 16 and 8 ohm rationgs. Some (like the C V30 and TT Ceramics) were the same speakers just different impedences. No audible tone difference to me.

ALso, I have a few cabs where I am running two 8 ohms in parallel or series for 4 or 16 ohms, and a cab running two 16's in parallel for 8 ohms.

Also no difference to me in sound.

The amp's OT has windings for 4/8/16 so you cant hurt it either way. I have no preference.

Just one man's opinion :)

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:43 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I think the difference you might be thinking of is on something like my old Fender DRRI where you had no impedence switch and you had to run an 8 ohm extension cab. Any less and you would underload the OT and risk frying it.

Again, all the Trinity amps (well, the TRiwatt, TC15 and the 18's) come with transformers that allow a switched 4/8 or 16 ohm load.

I also have run the same amp with my 2x12 as a 4 ohm load, then switched it to 16 ohm (same cab just switched the speakers from parallel to series, and the impedence switch to match) and played with not much if any audible tone difference to me.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 3:19 pm 
Expert
Expert

Yes, that's right. As long as you you use the correct impedance tapping of the OT for the speaker load, there's never going to be any harm to the amp. Apart from that, in theory at least, an OT's highest impedance secondary winding is normally the one wrapped most closely to the primary, and therefore has the best transfer of high frequencies. Now whether, that makes it "better" in some way, or not, is debatable. If for example, an amp or speaker sounds a little bright, you might prefer to use the 8 ohm or 4 ohm tappings instead, to help balance out the tone. All a matter of taste....