trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:40 pm 
Friend
Friend

hey everybody,
I just ordered a Tc-15 kit and I really can not wait to put it together but this also means it is tube choosing time!
I actually have no experience with tubes in terms of choosing the right ones to compliment a specific amp. I did play tube amps before however, never thought about what tubes are in it.
I know the choice of tubes are a very much a taste thing but if anybody could give me a starting point or look at my list which I created solely on the names I have heard on forums and the price, that would be great!

So I need
3x 12AX7 I was thinking:JJ 12AX7 / ECC83 Selected GOLD
2x EL84 I was thinking : JJ EL84 / 6BQ5 Red Label- TT XMatching
1x EF86 I was thinking : RFT EF86 NOS
1x 5AR4 I was thinking : JJ 5AR4 / GZ34

I was looking for them at http://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/ as I live in Europe.
What do you guys think? any good?

Thanks for your help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:51 pm 
Friend
Friend

I have used the Russian 6P14P (EL84 equivalents) in the past and they are fine with me. But I may offend some people by saying I don't mind the sound of old EL84's of various brands that have lost a bit of top end sizzle too!

I love playing around with 12AX7's because I can actually really hear the difference between them.

I have not heard enough EF86 to compare but am curious about the Russian EF86 equivalents. Mostly because they are cheap! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:36 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I didnt like the russian EF86, so stick with NOS . I think ajcoholic found a decentnew one. The JJ 12AZX7 are OK, but you might want to try a reissue Mullard or Tung Sol in V1.

See some reviews at The Tube Store

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:02 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I bought two new, a tung sol gold and Electro harmonix. The EH was absolutley USELESS - squealed like a pig and if you tapped the head cab it would ring the tube. The TS gold was OK, and I just replaced it with a Tesla I got from "the Sarge". That one is bulletproof, very low noise and sounds great.

I would like to get one if Coco's NOS's though if I can find them in the basement, I might slip one into my coat ;)

AJC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:35 am 
Expert
Expert

kingofnima wrote:
I know the choice of tubes are a very much a taste thing but if anybody could give me a starting point or look at my list which I created solely on the names I have heard on forums and the price, that would be great!

So I need
3x 12AX7 I was thinking:JJ 12AX7 / ECC83 Selected GOLD
2x EL84 I was thinking : JJ EL84 / 6BQ5 Red Label- TT XMatching
1x EF86 I was thinking : RFT EF86 NOS
1x 5AR4 I was thinking : JJ 5AR4 / GZ34

.... I live in Europe.

JJ 12AX7s aren't bad. However, for current production, the Russian-made "Mullard" (selected Sovtek 12AX7 LPS) 12AX7s totally kill them. If you can get some NOS 12AX7s, that's even better.

Also, don't waste your money on matched pairs of power valves - those are only needed for hi-fi. Non-matched pairs will give richer and sweeter tone in guitar amps.

You live in Europe or in Beverly Hills...? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:19 am 
Friend
Friend

Alright so I will go out looking for some "Mullards"

and no matched ones needed.

I would love to do the whole experimentation thing but first I wonna try to get a base from which I can see what sounds better to me.

I just moved from Beverly Hills to the Netherlands 2 or 3 months ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:44 pm 
Friend
Friend

hey guys so here is a new updated list. Are those a better selection?

List:
3x Sovtek 12AX7 / ECC83 LPS
2x EH EL84 / 6BQ5
1x RFT EF86 NOS
1x JJ 5AR4 / GZ34

has anybody ever heard of RFT ? I just can't find another manufacturer on the German supplier's website.
Also the JJ 5AR4 is that a good choice or should I try to get a different brand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:16 am 
Friend
Friend

RFT were an East German brand.
I have an old tube mic from them. It has been modded into quite a monster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:13 pm 

I have rolled a lot of tubes in my TC-15 build, FWIW here are my favorites-

For V1- I like an EI from the 80's a lot in this position- very nice high end, tight low end. Don't like the new JJ's or the sovtek tubes here. Could also try a 5751 here for more clean headroom- eg country twang. Could also try an old stock USA tube (RCA or Sylvania) for a nice rounder all-around tone. (These are good in the PI too if you can get them matched)

EF86- Consensus seems to be NOS Amperex I think, but I have a new Tung-Sol in there and it sounds pretty good. Nice midrange swell and LOTS of gain, not too microphonic.

EL84's- My favorites are a pair of NOS Mullards I have. Real nice overdriven tone with the MV defeated and the OT on 8K (munch?). I have also tried new JJ's which I like, and also an old pair of RCA's which are more mellow but I like those as well.

GZ34- I use a new JJ, but I think consensus is an old Mullard if you can find one.

This is a great amp and probably the most versatile amp I've ever owned. With the right tube complement, it really can't be beat for the price. Tube selection also depends quite a bit on your style of play, guitar/pickup choice, speaker choice, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:06 pm 
Friend
Friend

pinkmarkos wrote:
I have rolled a lot of tubes in my TC-15 build, FWIW here are my favorites-

For V1- I like an EI from the 80's a lot in this position- very nice high end, tight low end. Don't like the new JJ's or the sovtek tubes here. Could also try a 5751 here for more clean headroom- eg country twang. Could also try an old stock USA tube (RCA or Sylvania) for a nice rounder all-around tone. (These are good in the PI too if you can get them matched)

EF86- Consensus seems to be NOS Amperex I think, but I have a new Tung-Sol in there and it sounds pretty good. Nice midrange swell and LOTS of gain, not too microphonic.

EL84's- My favorites are a pair of NOS Mullards I have. Real nice overdriven tone with the MV defeated and the OT on 8K (munch?). I have also tried new JJ's which I like, and also an old pair of RCA's which are more mellow but I like those as well.

GZ34- I use a new JJ, but I think consensus is an old Mullard if you can find one.

This is a great amp and probably the most versatile amp I've ever owned. With the right tube complement, it really can't be beat for the price. Tube selection also depends quite a bit on your style of play, guitar/pickup choice, speaker choice, etc.

wow thanks for your great report!! I obviously don't have loads of old tubes hanging around but once I find some I'll try em!

great to hear that you tinker so much!