Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TC-15 rectifier tubes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:00 pm 
Novice
Novice

Coco and others:

Anyone tried any other rectifiers in the TC-15 other than a JJ 5AR4?

My voltages with the JJ are all 10-15% higher than the Trinity layout shows. I'm not worried this is a problem, but am curious if spending the bucks on a NOS rectifier will significantly alter the sound of the amp?

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:42 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

High means crisp, clear notes. Lower voltage will soften the tone a bit. I prefer them higher. Try another rect & see. It wont hurt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:31 am 
Novice
Novice

Yes, i tried all of these yesterday because my voltages are running too high:

Mullard GZ32: 395v
Mullard GZ34: 365v
Hallicrafters 5V4: 345v
Raytheon: 5U4GB: 332v
Raytheon 5R4WGB: 326v
Osram U52: 323v

The only one i do have but did not try was 5Y3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:04 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

One thing you need to be aware of is the current draw forthe heaters on some receifiers (e.g. 5U4) draws up to 3A and the PT id rated for 2A @ 5V. So be wary and watch the PT to see that it doesnt overheat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:10 am 
Novice
Novice

So it looks like the high voltage problem i have using the recommended GZ34 should be resolved by using both a VMR (i have the parts) and an inline Zenor after the standby switch. Can you give me details of this zenor, what value, which way round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:02 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

FWIW, was speaking with John Fletcher (amp tech extraordinaire in Toronto) today and he mentioned he won't use JJ's rectifier tubes anymore... he's had a couple go 'poof' and take out a transformer with them... yikes! :( Anyway, he said he's quite happy with all other JJ's but recommends avoiding the rectifier tubes...

Erm, anyone wanna buy a brand new in box JJ's 5AR4?!?! :?

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:18 pm 
Novice
Novice

I'm going to stick with the Mullard GZ34 and add the VRM and zenor so the voltage is right.

What's the opinion these days of Copper Caps? I used to have one in my Sewell but pulled it because it got really hot and started giving off a smell suggestive of imminent costly explosion.

I have plenty of JJs, but fortunately i've never bought any JJ rectifiers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:32 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I read an article in Premier Guitar a while back suggesting a 1N4007 diode in-line with each leg of the HV coming into the rectifier tube. I noticed that Ceri@tone has this well implemented in their 5E3 layout, along with some other protective "additions" worth taking a look at :o
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/I ... r_Mod.aspx

Joe G

Last edited by joeyvelour on Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:41 pm 
Expert
Expert

joeyvelour wrote:
I read an article in Premier Guitar a while back suggesting a 1N4007 diode in-line with each leg of the HV coming into the rectifier tube. I noticed that Ceri@tone has this well implemented in their 5E3 layout, along with some other protective "additions" worth taking a look at :o

Joe G

The diodes have a few purposes on the socket.

First is that the rectifier tube doesn't have to deal with blocking the negative-going waveforms so it makes for an easier life for the tube, with less chance of arcing over internally. Tube life and reliability is increased.

Secondly is that if the rectifier tube fails short then rather than pass unrectified AC it's already passing rectified AC courtesy of the diodes. This means your filter caps don't see AC. If they did AC would be passed to ground, goodbye power transformer.

The downside is that although you still get the sag and compression that tube rectifiers create, one of the nice things about them is the lack of switching noise that diodes suffer. Put a diode in from that's already switching then you've potentially already got that switching noise to deal with coming through your tube rectifier.

So the solution is either use one of those fancy UF4007s instead of the typical 1N4007s. That or put a 10nF 1KV cap in parallel with your 1N4007 diode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:41 pm 
Novice
Novice

They have it in their Muchle$$ Dizzy 30 amps as well because i've made two of them in the past three weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:47 pm 
Novice
Novice

Dizzy 30 has '0.01uF 3KV cap in parallel with 1N4007 diode'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:53 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Yes, the same as his Deluxe. How about the 100k/2W resistor across the standby switch :hmmm:

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:20 pm 
Expert
Expert

joeyvelour wrote:
Yes, the same as his Deluxe. How about the 100k/2W resistor across the standby switch :hmmm:

Joe G

Improved standby switching:

Most standby switches simply turn the HT on and off, allowing the amp to be muted while the valves are still idling hot. When the standby is switched to "on" all the power supply capacitor will instantly draw inrush current;- this 'hard switch on' and inevitably shortens their working life. However, if we are willing to forgo the complete muting facility we can instead redesign the standby switch for a 'soft start' to truly help extend component life (especially the rectifier). If we arrange the switch to allow the anode current to increase very gradually at the same time as the heaters warm up, then both inrush surge and cathode poisoning can be completely avoided. This can be done simply by placing a resistor in parallel with the switch. Obviously this works best if the switch is placed before the reservoir capacitor.

Finding a suitable resistor is relatively simple because the amount of current we allow to flow on standby isn't that important, and it is in fact easier to decide instead how much power we want it to dissipate. Because the amp might be left on standby for some time we don't want the resistor to get very hot, and equally, we would like to avoid using a large and expensive metal clad resistor.
A 2W resistor would be ideal. To avoid excessive heat we will allow it to dissipate no more than 1W. At the moment the mains switch is turned on, the resistor will have to drop the full HT voltage. If the standby switch is to be placed after the rectifier we can use the value of HT voltage. If the switch is placed before the rectifier then use the AC (rms) voltage of the transformer.
In this example the switch is to be placed after the rectifier and the HT is 300Vdc. For 1W dissipation:
P = V^2 / R
(Note, ^2 means "squared".)
R = (V^2)/P
R = (300^2)/1
= 90 000 ohms
The nearest standard is 100k, but since it only has to suffer the maximum power dissipation at the moment of switch on, half this value or 47k would be fine too.
The initial current will mainly be swallowed by the reservoir capacitor so most of the HT will be dropped across our standby resistor, and the voltage on the valves' anodes will be negligible for the first few seconds while the heaters begin to warm. As the reservoir and smoothing capacitors charge the anode voltages will rise gradually and a small amount of anode current will be allowed to flow as the heaters reach full temperature. Once the capacitors are fully charged and the valves warmed up the amp will remain on standby, allowing a trickle current to flow at all times (so the amp will not be totally muted; there may be the faintest of strangled sounds if we tried to play). The current flowing will be small (and very difficult to calculate!) but sufficed to say that it will probably be about half the initial surge, and the anode voltages will all idle at somewhere in the region of half their normal value. The power now being dissipated in the standby resistor will be about:

This is an enormously simple modification to any amp, and any value over about 47k (2W) or 150k (1W) should do. A secondary advantage of this method is that because the filter capacitors are allowed to partially charge up during standby there will be little delay between switching the standby switch to "on" and sound coming out of the amp!

^from Valve Wizard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:53 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Good ideas and worth implementing for safety sake but I've never seen these in the old amps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:18 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

bgroup wrote:
FWIW, was speaking with John Fletcher (amp tech extraordinaire in Toronto) today and he mentioned he won't use JJ's rectifier tubes anymore... he's had a couple go 'poof' and take out a transformer with them... yikes!

I agree on the rectifier front. Happened to me but the PT survived. It was in a JTM. So I have used a tough Chinese 5AR4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:23 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I think I'll put these tips into the Resource Section.