trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:07 pm 

Looking for any feedback regarding 12" speaker of choice for Lightning combo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:17 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I have had very good luck with alnico speakers. The first Trinity 15 combo I tried had a rola alnico in it from some kind of organ or somthing. It was a freakin amazing tone. I also like the Celestion Blue but it sure is bright all by itself. I had good luck with a Vintage 30 as well. Liked the classic tone but it was a little on the loud side.

Right now I am using mine with a 50 BBQ Alnico Silver bell. It give a classic vox like tone and tames the highs a bit. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:20 pm 
Expert
Expert

I'm nearing completion of a 1X12 loaded with a Celestion G12H30...alas, I wont be able to tell you about it's capabilities with the Lightning, as I don't expect to start my build until after I complete my 18watt lite and the school semester ends.

Granted, this thread will be long gone...but I'll be sure to post some variety of review with the g12H30, when I do finish the lightning.

-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:10 am 
Friend
Friend

:) Hi .. some of you may know me from the 18watt.com forum :wink: I've only recently finished my first Lightning, after several 18watt clone builds (with one still in progress). Up until this point, I've been playing the Lightning through a "makeshift" cab fitted with 2x12 Sammi speakers (100watters) .. and I really like it. I'm probably going to put the chassis into a 2x12 cab with 2x50watt Sammi's or I might try the one Sammi with either a G12H30 or Eminence Legend 22 (I've got two of these lying around).

Barry M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:56 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi Barry,
Show us Pics! :D
You don't happen to be the guy who owns blanks guitars and amps??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:55 pm 
Friend
Friend

:D Ha!! .. no, that's not me ... it's my friend Tommy (Blank). He imports Burns guitars and the Sammi's .. and builds his own amps. I actually helped him out at his stand at the Frankston Guitar Show on the weekend (kinda like our "own" mini-NAMM here in Melbourne). Tommy ordered in around 90 x Sammi's and I took the opportunity to order twelve speakers for myself (a few to sell and some to try out/use in various builds). I've only got the chassis completed and working so far - no cab yet (I'm planning a 2x12 in off-white tolex with black grill cloth .. haven't decided on piping color yet .. but it won't be black or white!). I used one of Nik's kits (Ceri@tone) but swapped out a few components (used a few Sozo's in the PI and some metal films to reduce hiss). I also used the Westlab trannies, which are great! I'll take some pics tonight .. is there a gallery here? :wink:

Barry M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:38 pm 
Friend
Friend

I'd love to see some pics. I bet it's going to rock with 2x12s!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:31 pm 
Friend
Friend

:oops: Sorry .. a bit slow with the pics .. got sidetracked with an 18watter TMB that I needed to tweak so that a friend could try it out at rehearsal. I'll definitely get some good chassis pics over the weekend .. then I need to get my cab finished :wink:

Barry M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:50 pm 
Novice
Novice

ab3640au wrote:
:D Ha!! .. no, that's not me ... it's my friend Tommy (Blank). He imports Burns guitars and the Sammi's .. and builds his own amps. I actually helped him out at his stand at the Frankston Guitar Show on the weekend (kinda like our "own" mini-NAMM here in Melbourne). Tommy ordered in around 90 x Sammi's and I took the opportunity to order twelve speakers for myself (a few to sell and some to try out/use in various builds). I've only got the chassis completed and working so far - no cab yet (I'm planning a 2x12 in off-white tolex with black grill cloth .. haven't decided on piping color yet .. but it won't be black or white!). I used one of Nik's kits (Ceri@tone) but swapped out a few components (used a few Sozo's in the PI and some metal films to reduce hiss). I also used the Westlab trannies, which are great! I'll take some pics tonight .. is there a gallery here? :wink:

Barry M

How did you find the change to the sozos? DId it tame the brightness much?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:23 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Most of the clips on my site used a 1965 Rola Alnico Magnet, pulled from a Hammond organ! The Rolas look and sound similar to vintage Jensens from the sixties. Mine was about 40 years old.

I auditioned my Lightning with 1X12 Celestion Vintage 30's, Alnico Blue, G12K-85, a Marshall 4X12 1960 G12-K and a 2X12 with a Celestion Alnico Blue and Celestion Vintage 30 in a Bogner 2X12 cab.

The best was a Celestion Alnico Blue, but that was very expensive.
The Celestion Vintage 30 was very good and Matchless actually used them.
The Rola was very close to the Vintage 30 and got rave reviews.
The Celestion G12K-85 broke up early and was darker sounding.

The 2X12 cab sounded like a single 1X12 Alnico blue. The blue is very efficient.
The 4X12, sounded good, but was overkill and loud.

Also recently tried out a 2X10 with Alnico Jensen reissues and 2 BBQ Alnico 10s as well. See previous post. The 2X10s are probably my current favourite. Don't overlook this configuration for nice mids and great lows. It's a winner!

A Vintage 30 or Alnico Blue are good choices. A Vintage 30 in a Bogner cab sounded great. A BBQ Blue Dog might also be a good choice, as well. I never tried the Celestion greenback G12M but I would expect a softer tone.

If you can find an older Jensen (C12) they are good as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:24 am 
Friend
Friend

Quote:
How did you find the change to the sozos? DId it tame the brightness much?

Daz .. the only problem I have is that I haven't tried anything else but the Sozo's in the Lightning .. so it's difficult to compare. Plus, I only used them in the PI and power sections - I've got Mallory 150's everywhere else. All I can say is that my Lightning is very smooth .. sure, it can get quite trebly when the treble knob is cranked right up with bass low .. but as we all know, the tone controls on the Lightning provide for a great amount of tonal variation.

Barry M