trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:53 am 
Expert
Expert

Hey folks,

So I started poking through my tube collection, looking for my lone ecc81 to test something...and I couldn't find it....

So I assumed I must've accidentally put it in one of the amps, and sure enough I had put it in v2 of my lightning...and it had been there since day 1. :oops:

So having said that, I promptly switched out the tube with a known good JJ ecc83s...however, I have not had an opportunity to turn the amp up more than a notch or two since I made the switch...and might not be able to for a day or two.

So the big question is what exact purpose does v2 have? I'm assuming it's tone recovery from the tone stack...but I dunno...I'd love to hear someone with a more technical background offer their opinion..

also, what changes might result from having the wrong tube in v2 and replacing with a correct one? Will it just be more gain? Or should I expect some tonal differences as well?

Thanks for humoring the stupid question..

-Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:07 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well, that was premature...

I was just able to turn up the amp and get some volume going....with the new tube in...everything sounds ok....but i'm getting another problem (it's not the new tube, as I've tried a few of them and same thing)...

I suspect with the gain of the preamp circuit up to expected levels, this problem has become more aparent.

I'm getting a distortion (buzzing) on mid to high gain settings. It cuts in and out on lower gain settings...and it's ever present on higher gain settings..

any thoughts?

-Frank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:18 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

V1 - 12AX7 triode in the pre-amp that are paralleled input for more gain, less noise.
V2 - 12AX7 triode in the 2nd gain stage is configured as a cathode follower which provides low impedance drive to the tone "stack".

V3- Phase invertor.

The preamp operates at same rail voltages as output stage for cleaner headroom.