trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:14 am 

I built a TC15 Kit just before the end of last year. It worked fine for a couple weeks, and it sounded really good. But now, when I play it, it sounds really compressed. I can hit a big chord, and it gets quiet and distorted, and then as the chord fades out, you can hear the sound get louder, and clean up. I know a little compression is going to happen, but this is pretty extreme. This happens when I'm plugged in to either channel. I think the problem is in the power section, but I can't figure out where. I've gone through just about every solder joint in the power section, and it hasn't fixed the problem. Do you guys have any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:26 pm 
Expert
Expert

I'd try swapping some new (known to be working) tubes in.
I'd try power tubes and the recto tube first then go on and try the preamp tubes.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:21 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I would immediately suspaect the rectifier or power supply chain. Did you test any of that?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:45 pm 

Well, since this was my first tube amp, it's got brand new tubes in it. I guess it's possible I got a bad tube...

So I watched the B+ while I played. On the big chords, it only dropped 5-10 volts (idle was about 380). That's not enough to make that much of a difference, is it? What else can I do to test the power supply?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:33 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

TheScarecrow wrote:
Well, since this was my first tube amp, it's got brand new tubes in it. I guess it's possible I got a bad tube...

So I watched the B+ while I played. On the big chords, it only dropped 5-10 volts (idle was about 380). That's not enough to make that much of a difference, is it? What else can I do to test the power supply?

Sounds like the rectifier is OK, that's fine as far as voltage drop goes. I the cathode voltage on the power tubes close to spec?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:03 pm 

Pin 3 on the power tubes is running about 7.88v, drifting about 0.02v as I play. Also, suddenly my amp is working again. I was playing and watching the voltage last night, and the amp crackled once or twice, and then opened back up to where it's supposed to be. It doesn't sound compressed and congested anymore. Which is good. Unfortunately, I can't trust it now, since I still have no idea what the problem was or what I did to fix it. So keep the ideas coming, I guess.....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:13 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Probably cold solder joint; loose wire; unsoldered connection.
You can only recheck all the connections again - yes, it's a pain!