trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:09 pm 
Friend
Friend

I'm a first time builder (first time with anything with these kind of voltages). It's a Lightning 15, WestLabs trans / choke, Asian 5AR4 (the only tube installed at this time). House was 122.7 VAC, V6 pins 4 & 6 were each 296.4 VAC and pin 8 was 420.7 VDC. I measured V6 with one lead of my DDM connected to the CT (ground) of the HV and the other to the pins. Do the voltages drop once the other tubes are installed and should I be concerned?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:22 am 
Novice
Novice

8) Yep, the volts will drop.

CR ><>

http://www.geocities.com/woodcrossamps/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:45 pm 
Novice
Novice

Those voltages seem right with only having the rectifier tube installed, check this thread in Trinity Talk to see where the voltages should be with all the tubes in. - viewtopic.php?t=151
Remember to have a speaker connected when you start it up. Also be careful, once you turn it on with the other tubes installed the capicitors will store voltage even after the amp is turned off.
See if you can post some pics, Good luck . . JOE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:41 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

ozzyatfrbrich wrote:
House was 122.7 VAC, V6 pins 4 & 6 were each 296.4 VAC and pin 8 was 420.7 VDC. I measured V6 with one lead of my DDM connected to the CT (ground) of the HV and the other to the pins. Do the voltages drop once the other tubes are installed and should I be concerned?

Yes, I think this is a go. The voltages will drop when you put the rest of the tubes in. Remeasure them after you do that and post again. Should be in the 350VDC range.

Get a load on the OT tho!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:11 pm 
Friend
Friend

Update. Fed the amp 115.2 via a variac, heaters a little low (5.05 and 6.05), 279.8 VAC HV to Amperex 5AR4 and 391.2 VDC out. Measured V0 - V4 at the caps and all in the 390.x VDC range. Added 2 7189, 2 12AX7 and a 12AT7. Remeasured V0 - V4 at the caps and it had dropped to 360 to 361 VDC. Got excited, tapped the inputs with a screw drivers (got some clicks), plugged a cord in (got some hum), touched the tip of the cord (got a lot of hum), plugged in a guitar, hit a cord and got hum. Started the trouble shooting with the wooden stick tap test, poke and prode. Once I get it sorted out I'll document / post the voltages. I'll have to learn how to post pics sometime. Thanks to all for your help. Later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:16 pm 
Novice
Novice

Ozzy - What layout and or schematic did you use? Some of the input and output wiring can look confusing and its not hard to have one wire hooked up wrong and get the results you described. You propably should sit down with the layout and go over the entire circuit marking off every wire and connection as you go. also it would be a good idea to verify every resistor and capicitor value and ckeck it off as you go.
On this forum pictures need to be linked to a server, I use photobucket, its free. check out the FAQ's and it has info reguarding posting pics. It may be worth taking the time to post a pic or 2. keep at it and youll get it worked out , , JOE