trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:57 am 
Friend
Friend

Hi,

I'm new to amp building and really like the idea of building a Matchless or Bad Cat clone.

I have asked Stephen for a quote for a kit and a custom 2x12 combo cabinet which he has provided, but as I'm new to all this and in New Zealand he suggested that I post on the forum to see if there were any builders/supplier closer to home (Australia/New Zealand) that were able to supply any of the parts I require. So are there?

I really like the look and sound of the Bad Cat Cub II are the Lightning's close in design and tone to it? And just out of interest has anyone built a Mini type amp?

Cheers,

Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:54 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi Chris,
Welcome!
As an aussie you can checkout : www.retrosound.com.au or www.evatco.com.au for parts but retrosound ain't cheap!

You can checkout www.Ceri@tone.com they are Malaysia and are cost effective for kits especially since they are on our neck of the woods.

There aren't many bad cat schematics circulating to build one, I've seen the hotcat one floating around (with no power section ) but I believe it's incorrect anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:47 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Legin should have some Down Under advice as well. And there are more. You could get a kit from Ceri@tone (the Lighting is essentially the Trinity 15 layout anyway) and maybe one of the members in your neck of the woods would build you a cab.

Of course I can do it all, but the shipping may be the kicker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:59 pm 
Expert
Expert

Welcome Chris, I have used most of the suppliers in Australia at one time and another so here is a annotated list:

http://retrosound.com.au Greg is good for mainly Fender bits, tweed & tolex, Mercury Magnetics trannies, cabinet hardware, BBQ Speakers and Celestion. They also build cabinets but as Daz says they are a bit on the expensive side.

http://directcomponents.biz Kevin has tubes, caps, wire, reverb tanks he is also an importer of Sprague and Mica caps. Ask if you don't see what you want as he only has a small percentage in his online catalogue.

http://evatco.com.au Arthur has a great selection of tubes and stocks Sprague caps, Jensen speakers, Hammond trannies and chassis etc.

http://blankguitarsandamps.com.au Tommy does Sammi speakers (so do I) he can also sell you tolex etc.

I use the normal outlets like RS components, Jaycar, Altronics and Dick Smith for resistors, caps, hook up wire and odds and sods. Altronics do a good selection of 1Watt resistors.

Nic at Ceritone quoted some good prices on Trannies and they are the most problematic components to source around here, Kevin is looking at getting some wound so approach him.

I get blank chassis made to size locally and they work out cheaper than the Hammond equivalents.

Visit the web sites and have a browse. RS components have an online catalogue search but it takes me ages to find what I am looking for.

Anything you can't find let me know and I will see if I can help.

Good Luck
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:28 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Where do you [guys] get your cabinets made? Do you make them yourself?

Oh, and Chris is from New Zealand!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:49 pm 
Expert
Expert

I do my own cabinets, solid pine with box joint corners covered in either tweed or tolex. However I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that will build something to spec.
coco wrote:
Oh, and Chris is from New Zealand!

That's just an accident of birth ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:22 pm 
Friend
Friend

Actually I'm in New Zealand but I'm not from New Zealand! I have been here for two months after emigrating from the UK.

Thanks for the info, I'm still considering exactly what I'm going to go about ordering parts etc. I was hoping someone would have a schematic for a Bad Cat Cub II R, but BC schematics seem to be very rare!

Stephen, I was reading through old post and one of them suggests that you have cabinet plans on your site. I might be blind as I can't find them.

Cheers,

Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:47 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Lightning combo cabinet anyway. Go to the links section of the main site, Click Lightning project, you'll find the plans in there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:40 pm 
Friend
Friend

Cheers apparently I am blind! :lol:

I was thinking of building a head now, do you have the plans for the head that you will share?

Cheers,

Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:38 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I can tell you that the head's I make are essentially 10" high version of that cabinet. I can put a drawing together if you can wait a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:24 pm 
Friend
Friend

If you could that would be great. I'm leaning towards a head from a flexibility point of view, I'm not sure if my friend can build a head cabinet for me or not at the moment as he is away in Oz, but given that he has build his own sailing boat I suspect that it wouldn't be a problem for him.

Thanks,

Chris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:29 pm 
Expert
Expert

Maybe you can borrow some of his tools and have a go yourself? They are fairly basic. :)
Nigel