trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:08 pm 

Hi All,

I'm building a TC-15 from an old kit (2012) that I never got around to, due to life getting in the way. I just got my PT and OT wired up today, board is built & installed.

In looking at some builds online here, it looks like there is some THICK black wire with shrink-wrap on either end. Is this the coax that I hear others referring to in some of the threads?

If this is necessary, I seem to be missing it. Is there a link to the best size/type/brand to get, and would it be available at a local electronics shop? Also, I don't have enough shrink wrap tubing and I'm missing a few caps. I tried to store all of my TC-15 parts together in the chassis until I was able to get to the build, but I must have misplaced a few parts over the years. Is there a recommendation for the best place to get additional parts, and a specific brand of cap, resistor, etc.? I have all the large caps and all the switches/knobs & other main parts, but I think that I misplaced a few small caps, as well.

I'm sure that AFTER I finish the amp, I'll find a bag somewhere around the house with coax and a handful of caps in it. :hmmm:

Also, does it matter which wire I use (stranded or solid core) for each connection? To some extent, I've been "mixing and matching" wire that was cut off from different places on the amp (transformer wires, solid core that came with the kit, etc.) based on the length of wire needed. All the wire that I have used in the amp did come from the kit.

I'll try to post pics of my board and build (so far) to see if anyone can help me check and see if there's anything I wired up wrong. My other problem is that I'm red-green-brown colorblind, so I've needed the help of my kids to tell me what resistors and wires are what.
:bugeye:

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:22 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Send me an email with your list and we'll take care of the missing or lost parts!
We hate to see a builder struggle!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:38 pm 

Wow, thank you, Stephen! I will check my parts list tomorrow and compare to where I am now and see what I'm missing when I post pics to see if I wired everything right so far.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm very excited to get this amp finished and hear the glorious sounds...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:57 pm 
Expert
Expert

Good luck with your build. Good to see you getting back to it.

The thick wire is the coax and you need it for proper shielding in the sensitive areas.

If you are stuck for coax you can cut up a good quality normal stereo patch cord. Heat shrink tubing is usually available at local electronic parts stores or places like Home Depot.

I use solid wire for connections between the board and the tube sockets and pots. I also use it for the heaters. It tends to stay where you put it so the wiring can be kept neater. The stranded wire can be used for AC power connections. The wire in this amp is all interchangeable, though.

Good sources I have used for parts are Mouser, Antique Electronic Supply, thetubestore.com, Watts Tube Audio and Mojotone, to name a few. It's good to see that Stephen is going to send you the parts that got lost, though. Another good reason to deal with Trinity!

And yes, the TC-15 does sound glorious!