trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:12 pm 

My TC 15 is completed! I was able to install all the hardware onto the chassis, but I made one solder and came to the conclusion that I needed to outsource this to a professional. I found a guy who works on amps and he completed the wiring for me. It sounds awesome, just love the sounds I'm getting. But I have a couple questions.

I can't tell any differences between the Contour settings. The wiring on the pot looked like what I've seen in similar builds, but what could be causing all the settings to sound the same?

I don't know if the Master Volume pot is working correctly. Can someone explain to me how the Master works on the TC 15? Does it only work if the Master Volume switch is pulled out? I alwasy believed that it drives more current to the preamp tubes so that you get an overdriven sound without increasing the volume output of the amp.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
Finished Amp 1.JPG
Finished Amp 1.JPG [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 7150 times ]
finished Amp 2.JPG
finished Amp 2.JPG [ 2.38 MiB | Viewed 7150 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:22 pm 
Expert
Expert

The Contour switch should sound different in each of the six positions. The treble should increase as the control is turned clockwise.

Master Volume works when the control is pulled out. It works by mixing two opposite signals in the output section. The two sections are identical opposites of each other. So the higher the MV control is set the more mix between the two signals and thus the more cancellation (reduction in volume).

In terms of playing the amp the MV should act just like the name suggests, not that different from any other MV control.

You might want to have someone else look at your amp and make some "improvements". Your professional has done some very poor soldering in the amp, could definitely lead to problems if you don't already have them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:21 pm 
Expert
Expert

Make sure none of the leads on the resistors and capacitors on the Contour switch are touching each other. The difference from one setting to the next can be subtle but you should be able to hear it.

Yes, the soldering leaves a lot to be desired, especially on the board. Cold joints like that are a heap of problems waiting to happen. The Master Volume control could be miswired, too. Can't see in the picture.

When you pull out the Master Volume control and rotate it counter clockwise it should reduce the amp's volume. But as kurtlives said it only affects the power amp. If the Volume controls for the preamp are set high and the Master is set low you should still hear an overdriven sound, only at a quieter level.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:03 am 

I hope the picture you posted was a before you gave it to the guy who works on engines, I mean amps. If not, OH BOY.......