trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spitfire w/18w output
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:42 am 
Friend
Friend

After gigging a while with my Spitfire-in-an-18w (1x12), I find myself wanting just a little more volume - not much, mind you. I know that a 2x12 cab would give me more volume (30%?), but I like the 1x12 format (yeah, it has to to with size and weight). Has anyone grafted an 18w OT (like Heyboer) to a Spitfire? I'm assumiung it would require mods to the PI, as well as the PS.

Of course, another alternative is just to build an 18w. I'm a blues blues/rock player, so I'm looking for that organic OD sound - controlling it with my guitar and a TopHat Expressor. I owned a TopHat Club Royale, which sounded like the voice of god, but wasn't quite loud enough to gig with. So, I bought a King Royale (35w) head, which sounds great - but can be overkill for many rooms.

I'm sure there are opinions out there, so let me have 'em!!

Henry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:31 pm 
Expert
Expert

A spitfire is essentially the same output as an 18watt amp...I don't know if that's going to make it any better.

In fact, the solution to getting any 18-watt variety is to simply add more speakers, as you've already mentioned.

The club royale, if the only difference in the schematic is the fact that it is biased for el84s, should be plenty loud for small gigs if you add a second speaker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:26 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

There is also the speaker efficiency to think about. The 8K tranny would improve the power transfer and might make a bit of a diff. If you get a new speaker with 3 db more effieciency (alnico forexample), you get the same db increase as adding one more speaker of the kind you currently have or even doubling the power.
I'd go thesepaker way first. There is also a 2X10 Alnico option which might work out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:02 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
There is also the speaker efficiency to think about. The 8K tranny would improve the power transfer and might make a bit of a diff. If you get a new speaker with 3 db more effieciency (alnico forexample), you get the same db increase as adding one more speaker of the kind you currently have or even doubling the power.
I'd go thesepaker way first. There is also a 2X10 Alnico option which might work out.

Hmmm... So you think I could eke out a few extra watts with the 18w transformer? I used TDS transformers, which are Matchless replacements (they say they designed/manufactured the originals), and rated for 15w. If the Heyboer would give me more power, it would be worth a try. Of course, then there's the whole matter of mating it to an existing chassis...

My 1x12 combo cabinet has a BBQ Blue Dog Alnico, which sounds fabulous, so maybe a 2x12 combo cabinet would do the trick for me. *oh, my aching back* Guess that's why we invented casters, eh?

I've never really cared for the sound of 10's, so that is not an avenue I will pursue.

Henry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:50 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

A few extra watts will not be noticeable in volume. Don't waste your money. You need to double the power just to get 3 db more volume. Go with the extra speaker, becasue that alone will get you 3 db and sound better too. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:53 pm 
Novice
Novice

You could just add a 1x12 extension speaker cabinet. Two small light boxes are easier to carry than one heavy, awkwardly large one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:11 am 
Novice
Novice

8)

Put a switch on the wire between the volume and tone control... (Disconnect that wire and you'll see what I mean) HEHEHE :lol:

CR ><>

http://www.geocities.com/woodcrossamps/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:49 pm 
Friend
Friend

Maccabee wrote:
8)

Put a switch on the wire between the volume and tone control... (Disconnect that wire and you'll see what I mean) HEHEHE :lol:

CR ><>

Hmnm... My guess is that there will be a lot more gain as a result?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:12 pm 
Novice
Novice

CrosstownBlues wrote:
Maccabee wrote:
8)

CR ><>

Hmnm... My guess is that there will be a lot more gain as a result?

Yep and at least a 6dB boost in volume. Amazing how much gain and tone a simple tone control can suck out of an amp.

CR ><>

http://www.geocities.com/woodcrossamps/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:52 am 
Friend
Friend

Well, last night I took my '57 LP GT reissue and pumped the Spitfire through an open backed pine cab with 2-12" Vintage 30's. Yup, it was definitely much louder! Then, I disconnected the tone circuit and was greeted with sonic bliss. Possibly the most classic sounding rock & roll sound ever - big, full, and singing. I built a Mesa Boogie Mark I clone years back, and there was a gain boost jack that would bypass the tone stack, which produced oodles of gain. The Spitfire didn't go into liquid overdrive, but sounded like a huge amp on the edge. Perfect. Yup, a little microswitch will make its way to the control panel. Also going to install a bright switch while I'm at it. ;)

Thanks guys!

Henry