trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finished and loving it
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:24 pm 

Done my build and after working through a couple of missteps its working fine and sounds great. I do have a couple of questions. From first firing it up to the present I have noticed a huge change in the tone. At first to much bass along with mids that were a bit unwieldy. and treble that was painful. Now with 10 - 20 hours on the amp the top end has mellowed to the point that I am turning up the treble and down on the cut and starting to up the bass. The mids seem to be also smoothing out also.

As another note I did the amp as a 112 combo with as Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker in it. At first I wasnt sure about my speaker choice but as the tone is changing I am liking it more and more.

Are these tone changes normal or should I just see a shrink:).

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:00 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Congratulations! Great feeling, isn't it?

Tubes and speakers both have a "break-in" period where use has just that kind of "mellowing" effect. Especially with speakers.

But, most people also forget those are also symptoms of your strings wearing out...

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:52 am 

What........ strings dont last for the life of the guitar?:)

I was expecting a break in period, I was just amazed at the amount of tonal change. In my other previous new amps the change was much gentler. My first listen to my amp was a big letdown but I am happier every day now with it......like wow:)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:09 am 
Experienced
Experienced

That's awesome.

My first experience with the TC15 was exactly the opposite. Even though I've been playing for a long time, the TC15 was my first experience with an all-tube amp. I was a tube-preamp/digital modelling guy... the Johnson Millenium and DigiTech 2112 were my main rig for a long time. When I finished my TC15 build and played it for the first time I was like "OMG WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!?!?" Now I'm a certifiable tube-amp-junkie and have almost a dozen builds under my belt.

A lot of that is psychological as well. The TC15 is one of those amps that "is not the others." If you are used to the typical Fender/Marshall types and have not experienced a VOX derivative that you can spend some time with, it takes some getting used to... allowing its uniqueness to "grow on you" if you will. The tone stack is also somewhat unique and does not behave like your typical TMB stack so it can take time to dial-in your tone.

Speaker choice is a big deal too. My TC15 in Matchless mode is one of the few amps I actually like playing through a single Vintage 30, or better yet, a WGS Veteran 30. A lot of folks like those Cannabis Rex speakers too. Those are a very popular choice for lots of amps.

Is this your first tube-amp build?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:37 pm 

Yes it was my first build however I have had a few different valve amps, and up to now a Mesa Boogie Trans Atlantic 15 with a 112 cab was my goto. It uses a greenback and it is an amp that puts a smile on you face:) I purposely chose the TC 15 because I wanted that vintage Vox tone in a manageable package. Yes by itself it can sound harsh to some but in a mix I think the sound is heavenly, and as I said to a buddy" if all you have is one good lick that note better sound great":) The TC when its in that sweet spot just messes with your innards and I just love that:)

As for the speaker I havent done a good comparison with my greenback , but I feel the Canabis Rex is a good choice, with a tight bottom, solid mids, smooth highs, very articulate and clean, but when the amp starts to breakup it snarls right back. With a few miles on it I think its a keeper:)