trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lightning vs. Spitfire
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:19 pm 

How do the two amps differ tonally? I have a Spitfire (my build), but I have never heard (or even seen in person) a Lightning. I have reviewed the schematics and can see that the main differences are related to the tone stack and the additional 12ax7 to drive the tone stack. But I'd love to hear how people that have experienced both amps would describe the tonal diffs. I am considering another build, and wonder if the Lightning should be a candidate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:15 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I've never heard the Spitifire, but you could always convert your Spitfire to a lightning. 1 tube and a dozen or so parts would do it. I think ther Spit is generally cleaner than the Lightning tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:19 pm 
Novice
Novice

8)

Stephen is correct, the Stock Spitfire is Cleaner than the Lightning. That being said, the Spitfire is more versatile and easier to dial in than the Lighting. The Lighting's Bass and Treble Controls are interactive and take some getting used to and it has little Clean Headroom. The Spitfire with a couple of Thunderbolt Version 3 Mods turns the simple lil amp into a Classic Rock Monster and back to it's Voxy roots with the flip of a Switch or two.

Mod 1:

Disconnect the wire from the Volume to the Tone Control. Ah! Ya love it huh? Now connect it back together with either a Mini Toggle Switch or a Push/Pull Pot & Switch Combo. I know that this can be made footswitchable but havn't had the time to do it.

Mod 2:

Remove the 180 PF Bright Cap from the Volume Control and prepare to replace it with a 500 PF. Now use a Mini Toggle or Push/Pull Pot as above to route it through a Switch. Now ya have a Normal/Top Boost Switch.

Mod 3:

Replace the 1MA Master Volume Pot with a 470K - 500K A Pot. You now have full swing on your Master Volume. This works on the Lightning as well.

CR ><>

http://www.geocities.com/woodcrossamps/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:02 pm 

Thanks for the mods. I had already done the tone bypass, and was trying to decide what value cap to use for a bright switch (will try the 500pf you recommended), but the master volume mod is a new one on me, and sounds liek it will be very worthwhile.

Thanks also for the comparitive explainations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:29 pm 

The master volume mod (500k instead of 1 meg) is a real nice touch. It made the low end of the control much more useful. I am still deciding about the bright cap. 500pF might be a little too bright for me, but I am jamming next Wednesday, so I'll decide then.

Thanks again.
Steve

sliberty wrote:
Thanks for the mods. I had already done the tone bypass, and was trying to decide what value cap to use for a bright switch (will try the 500pf you recommended), but the master volume mod is a new one on me, and sounds liek it will be very worthwhile.

Thanks also for the comparitive explainations.