trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:39 pm 
Novice
Novice

I'm definitely adding a cut control and 16 ohm outs on my Lightning build, meaning 2 more holes in the chassis (not a prob) and faceplates.

I was just going mount the plates to chassis, tape them over, drill a pilot hole through both (so the holes will line up).

Then I was going to remove the plates and then slowly drill my big hole over a wood block. Will this work without cracking? Or do I need to it another way?

PS--I got the cut control specs off of a DC30 schematic from Schematic Heaven--no reason it shouldn't work.

P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:33 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The problem with a big drill bit, say for 3/8" and up, is the drill flutes can cause the plate to crack. Up to 1/4" you should be safe. Beyond that, for thin plastic, I recommend a step drill, or reamer. Borrow one.

I have safely used this technique even with the faceplate in place and it workd fine.

If you have to, I would, enlarge the hole from 1/4" up, in the smallest drill bit increments you have. You might even be able to use a countersink bit to do the enlargement.

Post subject: Thanks!!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:09 am 
Novice
Novice

I know I have a reamer somewhere in my messy workshop. I'll root around and find it.

P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:43 pm 
Friend
Friend

Unibits or stepdrills are great investments. Now I can't live without them. Aslo use slow speed. To high a rpm tends to melt the plastic instead of cutting it.

Good Luck.

Post subject: Special bits
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:55 pm 

I use special bits which are made for drilling plexi:

http://www.rplastics.com/plasticdrill.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:29 am 
Expert
Expert

I would be very careful using too slow a speed on your drill, as that would create a scenario that would introduce cracking as well...too slow, and the tendancy is to rip/crack the plexi.

If you don't have a step drill bit, I *highly* recommend drilling in extremely small size increases....using a drill press and starting the drill before you touch it to the plexi...

-f

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 4:25 pm 
Novice
Novice

Take the faceplate off, mark the hole center and take it to an engraver shop in your town. All they have to do is punch in the coordinates and size and let the laser do the work.

It's better to use a low powered laser setting and make several passes than to use high power and burn the faceplate.

To make my custom faceplates, I just drop an empty chassis off with my engraver and I have a label maker where I just put labels where I want him to add words. I get a set up fee on the first one, but to cut new ones, he just pulls up the proper file and he can cut them for me fast.