trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:37 am 

Hello everyone,
I have just completed my second build (first one was a Trinity Tramp). My TC 15 looks great (ok, maybe not as clean as some, but not bad). However, there is a lot of noise (crackling, popping) that sounds like its coming from channel 2. I'm at wits end at this point as I have tested and retested pretty much the whole build and haven't tracked down the issue. Voltage readings are normal on all the test points except for two - on the third terminal of the treble pot where it is supposed to read zero V, I get a full 25 V. I have tested the treble pot itself and it appears fine as it will go from zero all the way up to 1M ohm. I have also tested all the resistors and caps in channel 2. If I turn down all the pots on channel 2, I can use channel one with minimal noise (I can still hear it coming through a tiny bit). I also get a slightly high voltage reading at the 220k resistor just off pin 1 of V2 (156 V instead of 137 V). I think this may be due to my big cylindrical power cap having a slightly high capacitance on one side (42 mf instead of 32 mf). I also notice a bit of bleed through on the amp when it is on standby (I can still hear a tiny bit of signal coming through the speaker with standby on).

Any ideas to help greatly appreciated!

Attachment:
IMG_7923.jpeg
IMG_7923.jpeg [ 422.27 KiB | Viewed 5678 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:38 pm 

Ok, so I figured out the scratchy sound issue after a LOT of testing. Turns out C5 was bad, the 47 pf cap. I tested it a couple times with my meter and the capacitance was reading fine, but the fact that I was getting DC voltage at the treble pot meant it was leaking. After ruling out many other issues, I tried replacing the cap and voila, noise gone! Been running the amp through its paces the last couple hours and I’m really impressed. I’m running it through a 2x10 cab with some TedWeber alnicos and it’s some great chimey tones! I still need to finish my head cabinet, but once I do I’ll post pics.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:39 pm 

These problems I have encountered and seen directly with the repairman and I find it not very difficult.
dumb ways to die

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:33 am 

The abnormal voltage reading at the treble pot's third terminal (25 V instead of 0 V) could be indicative of an issue in that section. bitlife

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:41 am 

When I tried to replace the cap, the noise disappeared! I've spent the last several hours putting the amplifier through its paces, and I'm really impressed. The tones are fantastic when I run it through a 2x10 cabinet using TedWeber alnicos geometry dash

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:01 am 

It sounds like you've put a lot of effort into troubleshooting your TC 15 build. Stay solar!