trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:59 pm 
Friend
Friend

Got a TC15 kit in spring 2021 and have struggled with it ever since. Actually, I've been stewing about it for most of the time because I've been so frustrated, but recently am trying one last time to figure this out, but I admit I'm reaching the end of my rope.

The basic problem is that when I plug in the power supply after a few minutes (e.g., maybe 5, sometimes more like 10+ minutes) the amp trips the circuit breaker for the wall power outlet. I've checked voltages as noted on p. 29 of the manual and they all seem OK. (Please see this thread for details: https://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6968.) I've verified that this happens using an outlet on a different household circuit, so it's not a problem with my house wiring. I've double checked the amp wiring and connections and now I've made videos walking through the power supply and heater wiring (pp. 21-28 of the manual).

I've put all the videos in my OneDrive. If anyone can spot any errors I would be grateful.

Link to videos: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoHjYN59QjSEgrJ3q1Yu5BZiWlThCw?e=79Po2Q

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:36 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

It's impossible to tell from the videos but do you have the 120V primary leads connected correctly. Black-Red and White-Red are connected together at one Power Switch lug. I do see the Black & White correctly connected to a lug on the terminal strip and then to the Neutral. In your earlier post, I recall you had the wires going to the power switch mixed up which might cause a problem if it was turned on (Never tried that!)
I hear your comments on the manual wording and point taken but the layout wiring is correct.

If that still gets hot and blows fuses, you will need to disconnect and tie off all secondary leads and see if plugging in the power still blows fuses. If that happens, the transformer is suspect.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:59 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
It's impossible to tell from the videos but do you have the 120V primary leads connected correctly. Black-Red and White-Red are connected together at one Power Switch lug. I do see the Black & White correctly connected to a lug on the terminal strip and then to the Neutral. In your earlier post, I recall you had the wires going to the power switch mixed up which might cause a problem if it was turned on (Never tried that!)
I hear your comments on the manual wording and point taken but the layout wiring is correct.

If that still gets hot and blows fuses, you will need to disconnect and tie off all secondary leads and see if plugging in the power still blows fuses. If that happens, the transformer is suspect.

Thanks. Here’s a pic of that connection. I’ve unmounted the switch and flipped it around. The installed orientation has the PT leads and the wire to the lamp on the left. I just followed the layout drawing.

Attachments:
DFF243B3-5086-4D4D-A726-81C6D71AF3BA.jpeg
DFF243B3-5086-4D4D-A726-81C6D71AF3BA.jpeg [ 2.3 MiB | Viewed 5360 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:41 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

It looks correct for 120V. So, you'll need to disconnect the secondaries ( or make sure they are not connected to anything) and turn it on to see if it blows the fuse. If it gets hot, blows the fuse etc., there is an issue with the PT.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:56 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
It looks correct for 120V. So, you'll need to disconnect the secondaries ( or make sure they are not connected to anything) and turn it on to see if it blows the fuse. If it gets hot, blows the fuse etc., there is an issue with the PT.

OK, thank you. So to make this idiot-proof, I should disconnect (and temporarily insulate) all the wires coming out of the "bottom" of the PT (including the green/yellow going to ground), and all the wires coming out of the top (including red/yellow to ground) EXCEPT the four solid-black, solid-white, black/red, and white/red wires. Correct?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:43 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Correct. Disconnect the two grounds as well. If it runs, leave it on for a while and see if it gets hot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:39 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
Correct. Disconnect the two grounds as well. If it runs, leave it on for a while and see if it gets hot.

OK, well, I tested the PT and it was...interesting...to say the least. I disconnected/tied off the wires as instructed and plugged it in. After about 4-5 minutes it started sizzling and smoking (but didn't trip the house breaker), so I shut it off.

Here's a video walking through the wires I disconnected: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AoHjYN59QjSEgrRzsHEK81D72K4yyQ?e=QroOf1

Here's a video of the failed smoke test (not much happens until the last minute): https://1drv.ms/v/s!AoHjYN59QjSEgrR1H5PN9dAX7QY6SQ?e=8WV52x

So, now what guys?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:36 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

There is some leakage inside that is faulty. The PT will need to be replaced.
They are all tested at the factory but not soak tested. This is very rare.
We’ll be in touch.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:35 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
There is some leakage inside that is faulty. The PT will need to be replaced.
They are all tested at the factory but not soak tested. This is very rare.
We’ll be in touch.

Lucky me! Thanks, Stephen.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:15 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Arrangements underway to replace the PT. email sent, please confirm details.