trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:19 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I've been comparing the Lightning schematic to a Jennings era AC30 schematic. It's a slow process, but I'm learning. So far I've followed the schematic through V2. The only two differences I've seen are:

C1: .001uf to 500pf silver mica
C3: 180pf to 100pf silver mica
C4: 25uf omitted

The C1 and C4 mods are mentioned in the Clean Mods discussion. I did the C1 mod and like it quite a bit now even though I wasn't very sure at first. I have a DPDT switch to make the C4 mod switchable (just don't know how to go about wiring it).

What kind of result do you think the C3 mod would create? It's the cap that cross pins 1 and 2 of the volume pot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:35 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
I have a DPDT switch to make the C4 mod switchable (just don't know how to go about wiring it).

Disconnect the + end or the cap from the board. Attach one wire to it and another wire where it was connected to on the board. Attach the two wires to the switch.

You might want to zip-tie the cap to the resistor, or silicone it in place and be sure to insulate the leads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:01 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks, Stephen.

Another mod: Can you just replace the 12ax7 in V1 with an EF86? It seems like the EF86 circuit uses the same component values and wiring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:42 am 
Expert
Expert

That will take a little changing James,

But you can do what I did and buy a brand new TC-15 like I did and help Coco in is quest to be the the premier kit supplier in the world. Course he might need more help. (i swear I'm moving to canada :lol: )

Coco has a layout to show you, but there is no just changing a resister and tube.
If you heard the clips the EF-86 is worth it. What a sound.
Later,
Jac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:20 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Hi Jac

I appreciate your enthusiasm for supporting Stephen. I think the best thing we can do to help in that regard is actively participate on the gear page forum or others like it to let others know there's more than Ceri@tone. I was very happy to purchase my transformers from Stephen when I was working through my build this time last year. You can see a pic here: http://www.languagepool.net/images/amp4_bw.jpg

Mind you, I'm not referring to the tone control on the EF86 channel, but a tube swap. The differences I see between the EF86 and 12AX7 are that pins 1 & 6 aren't bridged, and pin 6 runs to a 330k resistor that then runs to the B+.

From what I can tell, if you switch V1 to an EF86, change the resistor on pin 6 to 220k, unbridge the pins on V1, and make the three changes I listed in the first post, you have a 15 watt Jennings era Vox AC30. From what I can tell....mind you I'm a beginner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:30 am 
Expert
Expert

Thanks,
I'd like to see the changes from the schems or layouts. I just remember that the change wasn't that easy. I do know a simple tube swap is never that simple :shock: :lol: . I've dealt with alot of people in my life and Stephen is A+. Not to mention, if you've been paying attention to 18watt for awhile. Stephen's designs have always been tested and are working prior to being sold. Not to mention, the layouts are so "flowing". I like to give credit where it's due.
AND I always try to give Trinity a hand wherever., maybe I'll get a price break :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D .
Curious about looking up your question now, get back to ya.
Later,
Jac
By the way nice "cheetah" cloth" I like it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:36 am 
Expert
Expert

Umm, why are there 2 books holding up the 1 side of the amp :shock: . I'm sorry, I just had to ask :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:27 am 
Expert
Expert

I take it back, maybe you can. I think I'll study some more :shock: :shock: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:34 am 
Expert
Expert

Here James,
Go here for the full discussion, great info and most likely answer your question,.
I'm still learning too.

viewtopic.php?t=682

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:57 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The book is just to be artistic :)

viewtopic.php?t=762

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:42 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

It looks like pin 2 is connected to ground on the EF86 as well.

I believe the 86's break up sooner, or gritier. That's the impression I get. Because Vox's don't really break up, I'm wondering if the EF86 is what gives the edge to it's driven tone.

I think my thread here would best be called, "Turning the 15 into a vintage Vox," lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:19 pm 
Expert
Expert

Like that artistic flair :lol:
The EF-86 is grittier, but it still cleans up well. That's why I bought the TC-15. I have an sIII. I wanted the best of 3 worlds. The sIII, the Lightning and a Vox.
Did you listen to the clips of the TC? They're awesome

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:26 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The tubes are not interchangeable.
You could change it along with the necessary oparts then you might have to tweak it as it drives the second tube/tone controls. I never tried this.

I posted the schematic for the parts for an EF86 on a TC-15 you could use them.