trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

My komboking chassis has finally arrived, perfectly timed with my getting out of all my evening classes at uni, so building frenzy begins now!

wish me luck :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:53 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Take lots of pictures & be sure to post them along with weekly/daily progress reports!

Good Luck! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:50 pm 
Novice
Novice

Stephen,

Do you have a place for gallery like 18watt.com?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:04 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

If you dont have a place to put these on a web site somewhere, I can put them on my server & you can link to them. They would have to be reasonably sized say 3" X 5".
It's quite easy to link a picture to a url.

Post subject: so far...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:29 am 
Novice
Novice

well, I got all the chassis holes drilled and all the external parts mounted..

metal files are the most useful tool ever, hahah ... and nibblers are too. My cheap little radio shack nibbler almost went to bits trying to cut out the little holes for the power switch and power socket, because the aluminium is just slightly too thick for it, but the combination of the two tools was a complete success in the end.

no really exciting pics at the moment... my digital camera decided not to work anymore so i had to use my crappy webcam, but i have and will take a bunch of in-progress shots.

I almost ran out of little nuts and bolts... but i think everything is fully attached now, thankfully.

My chassis (17x8x2.5) was a bit bigger than I was expecting it to be, when i first took it out of the shipping box I was somewhat surprised, but it does mean that I had a lot of room to keep the transformers away from each other, and keep the preamp tubes away from the power, and have room for the board inside and whatnot. this does leave me with a bit of a question though...

a single 10" speaker seems like it might end up being a bit of a waste of space... with just a 10" the baffle is going to have like four inches to the left and right of the speaker. I have to decide whether I want to make the combo a couple inches wider (I haven't acutally built it yet so its a matter of drawing it out on paper) and leave room for a second 10", or if i want to keep it as small and portable as possible.

I'm thinking afterall that maybe 2x10 would be the best way to go.. hopefully it won't end up too annoyingly heavy to carry. decisions, decisions!

any suggestions?

anyway, i'll be spending tonight at an amazing concert so I won't get into the wiring tonight I don't think, but i'm looking forward to it. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:45 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

A 2X10 fits into a 24" wide cab. The single 10" might end up like a practise amp. :( But I have never hear a single 10 so that's a guess. 2 are great.

The Lighting deserves a good speaker 1X12 or 2X10 config IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:43 pm 
Novice
Novice

i guess if I'm doing it I might as well do it right :)

i only have the one 10" right now though .. i guess my baffle board is gonna have an extra hole in it for a while, hehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:43 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

As you design your box, keep in mind that Matchless circuits are intended to be bright. Mr. Sampson (whom I met at the guitar show last weekend as he was plugging his new company (Star Amps I think)), offset that by using a dark speaker (rebranded G12H30) and large cabinet. The stock Lightning cabinet is far bigger than it needs to be to house the chassis and speaker (the chassis is crazy big too) to round out the bottom end.

Going too small on a Matchless could be a mistake. OTOH, I'm not a fan of 10s in general and believe you need at least 2 if not 4 of them to get the job done... Having said that, I realy like a pair of BBQ Silver Tens or one of those paired with a Blue Pup.

Hey, if you just put one speaker in with 2 holes, that would be kinda like a detuned cabinet thing. I guess you would really need to seal the back tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:26 am 
Novice
Novice

Anyone have could intel on how Matchless modded their Celestions? Something as basic as getting some doping off, or a more complex process?

bear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:12 am 
Novice
Novice

well, I will eventually put a second speaker into the hole, hahha, i just don't have a spare one right now ..

what would happen if i put a bass guitar rated 10" in there? the other speaker i have is a celestion (g10l-35) that apparently is pretty well suited for the matchless, but if i put a bass speaker in there too maybe it'll have better low freq response?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:20 pm 
Novice
Novice

witeshade wrote:
well, I will eventually put a second speaker into the hole, hahha, i just don't have a spare one right now ..

what would happen if i put a bass guitar rated 10" in there? the other speaker i have is a celestion (g10l-35) that apparently is pretty well suited for the matchless, but if i put a bass speaker in there too maybe it'll have better low freq response?

A bass speaker will not have the proper frequency curve IMHO.

CR ><>
WoodCross Amps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:28 pm 
Novice
Novice

well, no, i meant, a bass speaker as well as the normal guitar speaker I already have. ... the bass speaker's response would presumably be well into the bass frequency area, and itll darken up the sound, while the guitar speaker provides all the rest of the highs and whatnot that we want :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:24 pm 
Novice
Novice

Another issue w/ the bass speaker is likely to be relative sensitivity - most vintage style speakers, especially alnicos, tend to do more with less power. You might not hear much of the bass speaker at all in mix with a more sensitive guitar speaker - many bass speakers are built mainly to endure a lot of power, and take some power to get them thumping.

Maybe try a BBQ Signature series model for a cheap additional 10".

Bear