Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Low Power Control
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:21 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hi,

Still researching, though I keep coming back to building a Deluxe for my first amp build - though this is still quite a loud amp for my home-noodling. I read a review of a Lazy J Deluxe clone in Guitarist magazine, which it rated very highly by the way. It's available with a Low Power Control switch, instead of 'stock' ground switch, which reducing output to around 5w, whilst keeping the overall tone.

Magic question - is this a difficult modification? Are schematics/layout diagrams available for this kind of thing?

Thanks
R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:33 pm 
Expert
Expert

Could the VRM be adapted to the Deluxe I wonder? It does sound wonderful at any volume though - but if you want it to overdrive it can get pretty loud. That amp is much louder than people realize - one thing that blew me away about it (among others). The thing just fills a room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:35 pm 
Expert
Expert

Emohawk wrote:
Could the VRM be adapted to the Deluxe I wonder? It does sound wonderful at any volume though - but if you want it to overdrive it can get pretty loud. That amp is much louder than people realize - one thing that blew me away about it (among others). The thing just fills a room.

VVRs are pretty easy to implement in cathode biased amps. Might be any idea.

The lower power switch could be a pentode/triode switch. Lifting the screen connection from the power tubes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:52 pm 
Novice
Novice

The VRM has been succesfully implemented in the Trinity Deluxe. Coco will sell you one. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:16 pm 
Expert
Expert

kurtlives wrote:
The lower power switch could be a pentode/triode switch. Lifting the screen connection from the power tubes.

You would actually need to connect the screen grids to the anodes (aka "plates") via 100 ohm current limiting resistors. This makes the screen grids act somewhat like they're part of the anodes. Having said that, I find few people like how the tone of an amp changes when put into triode mode. So I vote for the VVR/VRM option instead. Then you can adjust the output volume to any level you like. :)

Post subject: VVR or VRM
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:09 am 
Friend
Friend

Hi - thanks for your thoughts, though know I have to ask what the VVR or VRM mod is? Does trinity do a deluxe kit with this?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: VVR or VRM
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:10 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

rcruz71 wrote:
Hi - thanks for your thoughts, though know I have to ask what the VVR or VRM mod is? Does trinity do a deluxe kit with this?

Thanks

you can add a VRM which controls the B+. Lowering the B+ will lower the volume level at 'approximately' the same tone as you had at the louder level.

People have put this into a Deluxe. It's not very expensive and is documented in the Resources section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:13 pm 
Novice
Novice

I built a Trinity Deluxe and soon added the VRM, purchased at very reasonable cost from Stephen. I use it all the time and find it perfect for this amp. Stephen is exactly right - when using the VRM, there are no noticeable changes in the tonal spectrum and degree of saturation/overdrive from the same settings without the VRM engaged. I find it enables much more versatility in using the Deluxe. Installation was simple. I think I might have included a photo or two in the resources section Stephen mentions. If I didn't and you want a photo, let me know and I'll open up my amp and snap one.

Post subject: VRM & power supply
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:22 am 
Friend
Friend

Define 'very reasonable cost'! ;) Again, excuse my total ignorance, but is it a printed circuit board type device? A photo would be great if its not a real hassle, as this sounds just what I'm after.

Am now nearly decided to go for the Trinity Deluxe (and VRM). One query, directed to Stephen really. I'm in the UK - will the transformers/power supplies be ok for the UK? Or rather, can you supply the correct spec ones?

Thanks again!
R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:54 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Indeed, HarmonyoftheSpheres did post a pic. See this topic.

viewtopic.php?p=11946#11946

The VRM is approximately in the centre of the picture with the small nut and the blue resistor.

J.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:59 am 
Friend
Friend

Hi,

Is there a, er, clean layout drawing for the VRM installation in the Trinity Deluxe? I see in a linked post about the VRM there is a modified layout, but its a little unclear. Sorry, I'm a total newbie, so if there is that's really clear, as has been done (by Stephen I presume) for Triwatt amp that would be great! I know I'm still gonna need help with it! :D

R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:11 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

VRM layout is here:

viewtopic.php?t=1176

This one bleow is specific to Harmony's Tweed install

Generallly, take the 18 W installation and adapt it to the Tweed.

You could put the VRM pot control in the second output jack instead of a spare jack. Or put it in the front like Harmony did.

You may have to drill a mounting hole for it.

Post subject: VRM 1M pot
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:11 am 
Friend
Friend

Thanks for the layout - I've been looking at pots to get and am a bit confused. Have read post on VRM installation on Deluxe, but still unsure about spec of pot required.

Have found on/off 1M pot by Alpha, but it doesn't mention any wattage rating by the supplier.

Is this a special kind of pot, or as long as its a 1M, 1/2w audio taper pot, its ok? There's a german supplier, which I want to get a few other things from, which has pots of 1M, 2w audio taper spec - think they're quite high (over?) spec ones.

Thanks! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:11 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Deric had a great TC15 build here with some pics and some VRM/VVR discussion:

viewtopic.php?t=1244&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:28 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
Is this a special kind of pot, or as long as its a 1M, 1/2w audio taper pot, its ok?

1M A 1/2 watt is fine. There is very little current running through the pot. It's just a control pot.

If you incorporate a switch, it can be used as a power / standby switch as well on the front panel.