trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:34 pm 
Novice
Novice

Have any of you guys seen this??: http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/courses/ ... Deluxe.pdf

I'm trying a couple of these mods to one of my Deluxes. More details as I get closer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:49 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

i have looked this over in the past . Some interesting material and mods . I have actually put the feedback in one amp to tighten it up . I made it switchable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:29 pm 
Novice
Novice

Did you go with a 56k like they did? I was thinking a pot might be interesting too. Once you start thinking of mods the really hard thing is where to stop. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:56 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

With the exception of grounding and general wiring improvements, has anyone ever felt these other mods are necessary (screen resistors, etc.). Is there a problem with tube life?
I always thought that part of the "joy" of these amps was their inherent personalities :o

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:39 pm 
Novice
Novice

My opinion is that Trinity's design has already solved the real problems with the original Deluxe design. The other so-called problems are what gives the Tweed Deluxe its character. I have no complaints whatsoever with mine, and thus no desire to do further mods. I also haven't seen any real problem with finding 12AY7s, either new production (like EH) or NOS at reasonable prices.

The only changes I've made are common ones - reduced the 0.1uF coupling caps between the 12AY7 preamp tube and the volume pots: C1 to 0.022uF and C2 to 0.047uF. That reduced some of the excessive bass but kept the amp's tone full and rich. A NOS RCA 5Y3 tamed some of the distortion (more than I wanted), and NOS RCAs in the other positions sweetened up the sound overall. Also added the VRM, which gives excellent control over gain and output volume. I plug into Bright #1 and then use the interactive volume pots to add midrange overdrive when desired (Norm volume pot fully on for a cleaner sound, though still very warm, or reduce that pot a bit to add some midrange overdrive when desired).

I like the tone of this amp so much with the single TT Alnico 12" that I find myself playing more without any pedals at all other than a Keeley 4-knob compressor, and a little subtle Analog delay/reverb. But it takes other pedals well. It sounds very rich with my Boss BD (Keeley mod).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:42 pm 
Expert
Expert

Try this, very easy and sounds very good imo.
viewtopic.php?t=1878

Another neat mod is DC biasing the PI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:38 pm 
Novice
Novice

I've had problems with heat, so upping the bias resistor and adding screen resistors seems like a good idea. I'm also adding farads to the filter caps.