trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:32 am 
Novice
Novice

Hey guys, I posted a while back in the tramp forum just asking some general questions and deciding if I could successfully complete a kit as a beginner. But I've started wondering how the tweed deluxe compares to the champ as far as difficulty. It is harder? easier? Pretty much the same? Thanks guys :)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:14 pm 
Expert
Expert

IMO the Deluxe is easier to build. Just straight up, no options, & a simple circuit. The Tramp may be a simple SE design in it's foundation, but it does have some intricacies that make it a little more challenging. It's like a Champ +++.

Just my opinion... :)

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:26 pm 
Novice
Novice

Like Emohawk just wrote, the Tramp may be a little more challenging, but well worth the trouble.

The Tramp completed recently was my first build. I wrote Stephen before choosing it and he told me it could be built by a beginner like me.

So I went with the the Tramp and do not regret my decision. It is a very versatile amp with adequate volume to play at home with the 6V6 tube that comes with the kit. The beauty of it is that you can get wonderful distortion and blues tones at bedroom level.

As for the build, it went well. The instructions are good and I took my time.

I was tempted by the tweed Deluxe also... maybe next time. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:10 pm 
Expert
Expert

I'm with you there gotie. I meant to mention that both are first-time builder friendly. And I also agree that the Tramp is well worth the trouble (especially with a 6L6). My cousin bought mine after playing his '69 Tele through it for 10 minutes. He said it's the first time his Tele ever sounded "right". That'll tell you something. :)

If you're looking for a pure Tweed gem, the Deluxe is the ticket. If you're looking for small-box Tweed-ish amp that'll cop a bigger Tweed feel with a tube swap, but with more versatility & bedroom level capability, Tramp for sure.

You really can't lose with either of them.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:16 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
I'm with you there gotie. I meant to mention that both are first-time builder friendly. And I also agree that the Tramp is well worth the trouble (especially with a 6L6). My cousin bought mine after playing his '69 Tele through it for 10 minutes. He said it's the first time his Tele ever sounded "right". That'll tell you something. :)

If you're looking for a pure Tweed gem, the Deluxe is the ticket. If you're looking for small-box Tweed-ish amp that'll cop a bigger Tweed feel with a tube swap, but with more versatility & bedroom level capability, Tramp for sure.

You really can't lose with either of them.

Also with the Tramp you can use a broad range of tube types. You should hear a Tramp with either an EL34 or KT88 driving two 412s loaded with high efficiency speakers, I prefer it. And I do have both.
And it still makes tele's sound right.

Tele's make the best noise