trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I Took The Plunge
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:37 am 
Experienced
Experienced

And order a deluxe the other day. I was playing the demo unit so much that the tone was just making me want to cut my own......anyway I figured I better get one to replace the tweed tremolux I sold the other year.

Anyway here are the specs.

1 - Trinity Deluxe Combination Amplifier
1 - 12 speaker support (speaker to be provided by client) – Selectable impedance if possible; if not 8 ohms impedance.
1 - Ability to use 6L6 Tubes
1 - 716P polypropylene film caps. (Haven't told Steve yet).
1 - Hardwood Cabinet Burly (Ives) cherry top bottom, back and sides; Cabinet maker choice of joint (pretty as possible please). Finger joints look pretty good but what ever is prettiest.
1 -Customer (moi) to full set of tubes. Rectifier will be 5V4 supplying about 10 more volts than 5Y3.
1 - Standard Leather handle.
1 - Marshall style Cane grill cloth.

I picked up an old alnico rola from '58 that I am going to use......and if that sound not to good I have a couple of Scumbacks and a tone tubby or two that I am willing to try. I also have a boatload of 6V6's prepped and ready to try. I would like to get them idling at 40ma as per Gerald BBQ. I have a pair of,

GE 6V6GTY's - Brown Base smoked glass. Nice and chimey. A favourite of mine.

Lowery 6V6GT - Black glass kinda no name tube. Maybe rca, definitly made in USA.

EH 6v6 and GT6v6 - You never know, these may be worth a try.

RCA - 6V6GT Nice.

Sylvania 6V6GT - Coco uses this tube in his demo amp. Great tone noce complexity when overdriven. These tubes have a silver top.

Mazda 6V6- NOS military tube from 56. (the boxes have dates on them). Nice tube clean and dirty. Almost as sweet as the GTY. Complex mids.

Canadian Marconi 5871 - I was stupid enough to leave a pair of these in the amp that Trinity made for that recording studio in Chicago? As you heard the clips sound great!. These tubes do have a nice midrange quality and are very sweet in the low end. I think the speaker in the amp helped too. I can't wait to try these again.

For Preamp tubes I have a GE12AY7 and a GE6201 that I going to checkout for V1. Nothing like a good old AY in a tweed circuit. These are some old leftovers from when I had the tweed bassman. I have also set aside a couple of RCA blackplates and a telefunken 12AX7 for V2. I do have a little waiting to do though; Steve tells me he has some "orders" and stuff that came in BEFORE mine? GeeZ! I might have to start smelting some steel to make some wire to wind my own cable for the custom power cord I have in mind.
:lol:

Post subject: Mmm, mmm good.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:03 am 
Experienced
Experienced

While I am waiting for the cabinet, Coco let me take my deluxe chassis home for a test drive. I had it configured for the warm distortion tone but just switched back to the normal value tone caps. Not much clean headroom in grail mode but is rocks like crazy. So I switched a couple of caps and back stock and I was playing very quietly the other day with a TS9-DX for overdrive. Having bashed my ears for a couple o' years to get the tone that'll bring you to tears I was surprised how nice and responsive the guitar/pedal/amp combination was at low volume. This amp really likes pedals. Right now I am using a Blues Driver and I can get some very quiet very warm distortion tones. The BD doesn't wail at low volume like the TS-9 does but they are both good in their own right.

While plugged into the lower gain input on the bright channel, the TS9 gave me some pretty convincing marshall type tones. There was a LOT more compression/sag than your average marshall. The DX version of the TS9 has 4 different distortion settings. I used the stock TS tone setting and a new one with less fuzzy crunch. Lots of mids and super with humbuckers. I then tried the Blues driver and got good tones right away. WAY more chunky sounding than the tube screamer. I opened up the bass response on the pedal by changing the input capacitor some time ago and the increased bass response is clear. Palm muting various mega staccato riffs yielded great pleasure. Once again, humbuckers were nice here.

I would have liked to tweaked things to be a little louder and see how thing would groove with the amp running a little hotter. But seeing as how not playing too loud was the original aim, we will try out the pedals for a while.

I am going to add some reverb with an analogue reverb pedal. I like to run the reverb into the other channel and clean guitar in the bright channel. That way the reverb volume can be controlled using the amp volume control.

I will record some sound clips once I get the freakin' pro tools 7.4.x working happily with Vista.

Rgds
LBET

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:00 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Flame Maple Cab is built and ready for inspection. It's quite gorgeous with excellent flaming with dovetail joints.

Time to wrap this one up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:09 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

:Tears Of Joy:

LB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:39 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:16 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Stephen, looks fantastic!!

You do exceptional work on the hardwood cabs, you should promote them more :D :D

I know I'm thrilled with mine and will go that way again with the next kits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:00 pm 
Novice
Novice

:shock: Wow that looks amazing!

I always thought it would be cool to have a nice flamed or quilted maple amp cabinet. Maybe one day I'll get a flamed cab sprayed in cherry burst, that'd be cool.

Great work Stephen, that looks beautiful! I'm sure Ibethune will be very pleased with that amp!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:53 pm 
Expert
Expert

Man...every time I look at these pics the thing grows on me. I was ambivalent about it at first, but now...

I just build a Deluxe for a friend of mine and we've decided on a cab very similar to this one. We figure if it looks this pretty his wife might not mind having it in the living room! :)

Kirb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:36 am 
Experienced
Experienced

The cab has definitely grown on me. I think the grill cloth colour is great match ( I was sweating over that for a while). At this point I stop in my tracks every time I see it.

Coco did an excellent job on this one.

Larry