trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VRM (VVR) for 5F1
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:22 am 

I know a 5F1 is by no means a 5E3 (my 5E3 is orange and my 5F1 is black)but this seemed like the most natural place to post - I don't have an 18W) hence I'm posting here.

I'd like to install VVR (VRM) in my 5F1, going by the setup at the VRM Info thread in the resources section

I'm entirely new to the topic of Mosfets, is there any particular specs I should know so I won't end up buying the wrong one?

And are the values the same for any valve amp? (as in for 18W, 5E3, 5F1, ... (say P1, Firefly etc., JCM800, JTM45)

Also, a prticular question about the value in small type in the little grey blob. It says 6.2v on the line between the 100k 1W and the red B+ arrow, to the left underneath the 5R 2W resistor. I take it that's just a value you should get when measuring the voltage, not a plaece to put a component (what type of component would that be that only has a voltage rating but no spec'ed resistance or conductance)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:30 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We found when we built the Tramp, that the VRM/VVR on a SE amp did not provide the same effect as on a push pull amp. But it did provide some very cool brown sound effect, like a softer, slightly quieter, less trebly tone. At the low end, it did change the volume but the effect was not what we expected.

A Master volume works better,