trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5E3 Tone Machine!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:12 pm 

Over Christmas I put together Stephen's Deluxe kit and have been very happy with its tone quality and performance. As many have done before me, I made some downward adjustments on the tone caps to brighten up the bottom end on the 1st two caps (from the right), namely changing the .1's to .022's. That of course made a very nice improvement to tone range control. I went a few step further and halved the other two .1's to .047's (which I had seen published and recommended from other sources) - again a very nice improvement. So, all in all, a terrific improvement in tonal range control and to get away from the big bottoms. All very satisfying, and I used Sozo Blue Vintages for the caps.

However, what blew me away was the significant increase in output power - this I was not expecting! I am usually playing around 7 or 8, now I can't go higher than 3 as it gets too loud!!! What happened? The caps should not have done this. Was there a poor solder joint before the swap? It sounded just fine before the swap. Any thoughts? I now have one very powerful tone machine - it is like a brand new amp!!!

Post subject: Re: 5E3 Tone Machine!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:21 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Increase in loudness should not have been a result of that mod, just frequency response. Funny how many people love the amp stock and how many people love the amp modified.

So I have to assume a solder joint. It is a surprisingly loud amp.

Post subject: Re: 5E3 Tone Machine!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:12 am 
Expert
Expert

Well, considering his mods have brightened up the amp, it may not be actual output that has increased, but it may sound louder thanks to the completely non-linear manner our ears hear different frequencies. Just a thought.

The Deluxe I built was for a friend so I built it dead stock. From my brief time with it I can't imagine changing it, but I have a variety of gear so I don't necessarily need the versatility in a single amp. If I was gigging with it I might want to do something, but in my case I'd build it because I wanted a 50's tweed. My BFDR build is pretty much dead stock too other than a few tweaks to reduce noise.