It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:08 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
Wait :shock: and April Wine is on (no lie) :D :D

Like the band we posted U-Tube videos of?
Whom we recently sold 4 Tone Tubbys to.
Like the band lbet & I went to see recently.
On US radio.
No Way!

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:44 am 
Expert
Expert

WAY, WAY
Every once in a while they play canuck music on U.S. radio :shock: :shock: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:08 pm 
Friend
Friend

bradovka wrote:
Quote:
BTW, the fuse should always be on the line side.

Could someone check my work please (pictures above). I'm looking at the pics, I'm double checking the newest layout and I think I got it right. White is the line side right?

Hi bradovka,

I think you actually have it wrong. White is the neutral side, black is the line (or live or hot) side. The fuse should be in the black line. Have a look at the following site: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/wiri ... olors.html

Beautiful build by the way. It does look pretty tight in there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:49 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

For reference, Color code of AC power cords. Switch / Fuse the Live/Line side of the power feed.

European colors

The live conductor must be brown
The neutral is blue
The earth ('safety ground') must be green/yellow
This comes from the harmonized cable standards, which are backed up by European legislation. Those color codes are used in fixed wiring, equipment cables and inside equipments.

Colors used in USA/Canada

Green is earth,
Black is live
White is neutral.
In some cases the color of live wire can be red or blue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:39 pm 
Novice
Novice

Yep. I got it backwards I, wrongly, fused the neutral side. (Stephen, check your layout, I think that's where it's backwards). Paul checked it with a meter and white is neutral *(as it should be).

Thanks brycej, keen eye you have there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:05 pm 
Expert
Expert

That's why it's great to put up pics . More eyes are better then one. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:28 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

bradovka wrote:
Stephen, check your layout, I think that's where it's backwards).

Checked. Fixed. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:28 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

BTW, Where are the clips???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:03 am 
Novice
Novice

I dunno. Ask Paul. Actually, I should ask paul. I'll get back to ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:45 pm 
Friend
Friend

Bradovka: Awesome job, much credit to you.

Coco: Stunning cab, great kit.

Few points: The Sovtek rectifier dosen't drop the volts of a correct NOS so expect around 365V at the max B+ point. The lower B+ will likely cause earlier breakup - great for R'n'R, not so for jazz. You can get back pretty much by lifting the ground from V2a's cathode bypass cap (C7), switchable if you like. Negative feedback will clean up even further but from all reports it dosen't sound too great.

Don't worry on a spendy matched tube for V2 as the PI is only the second half of the valve, the first half is a simple gain stage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:34 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yeah, that build is one of the best I've seen. And thats only his second amp build!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:32 am 
Novice
Novice

Hey, thanks guys for the kind comments.

I've posted the voltages for this build earlier in the thread. Are you saying that 365V is what I should expect from a NOS rectifier? Also, do these values apply to single ended amps? I'm tossing around the idea of building a tweed(ish) practice amp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:55 pm 
Friend
Friend

Sovtek 5Y3's don't drop the same volts as the originals and have been known to have disasterous failures, but there is little or no option for new production tubes as far as I know.

365V is in the right range and matches the voltage posted by StephenEsq3 at Plexi-Palace for an original 5E3, the only thing I don't remember is if this was at current wall voltage or 110V supply from a Variac.

The voltage you arrive at for a practice amp (or otherwise) is not hard and fast when you think about it as Fender raised voltages over the years in order to increase clean output.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:09 pm 
Novice
Novice

I'll deffinately take that into account next time. I'm not looking for clean output :D but it kind of worked out that's what he wanted out of the 5E3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:14 pm 
Expert
Expert

From what you said originally, He's happy as all heck with the current sound :D Just an amp that isn't going to rock :cry: :cry:
If you build another, well it's gotta ROCK. :D
Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:08 pm 
Friend
Friend

jac wrote:
From what you said originally, He's happy as all heck with the current sound :D Just an amp that isn't going to rock :cry: :cry:
If you build another, well it's gotta ROCK. :D
Later

It rocks just fine when cranked, I just don't crank it that often!!! :D

I had an opportunity to A/B the 5E3 bradovka built me with a '57/'58 Tweed Deluxe. While not identical, the Trinity held up well. It took some tweaking with the tone controls on the amps and guitars, but we got the basic tone 99 44/10ths the same. I don't know the reason, but the original Tweed Deluxe had some intangible mojo that made it just a bit sweeter. Maybe it's the speaker, or the original tubes???? We didn't do any tube swapping to see if the mojo moved from amp to amp.

The owner of the original Deluxe has owned many over the years, and this was the only one that spoke to him. He still gigs with it on a regular basis, and is somewhat unwilling to change the power cable to a grounded one, or replace the filter caps, or even take out a tube. The amp is essentially untouched in the 25 years he's owned it, and that's only half the amp's life!!

For guitars we put a D'angelico, a D'Aquisto, an Unger, and some other sweet jazzbox guitars. Even 7 stringers with the low B dropped to A sounded rich, full and appropriate.

I use the amp on a regular basis playing with a full big band, (13 horns, 4 rhythm and a singer), and the sub 20 watts are more than enough to fit in, and sound appropriate.

I miss the onboard rev and trem that my Victoria Victorilux has, but I'm unwilling to start carrying stompboxes. It takes me fewer trips and less time to set up than the sax players in the big band. All I carry is a guitar, an amp, a tuner and two patch cables.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:04 am 
Expert
Expert

I would love to see you play. I bet it's a great time. And thank god you crank it once in a while :lol:
Your playing "what" guitars? You wouldn't want to give us some pics for our desktop to drool over :D Please. Although I prefer rock, I am playing an es-335 clone. I also love a great "clean" time :lol: Love the tone of an all maple jazz box.
Pics if you can. Thanks,
Jac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:09 pm 
Friend
Friend

jac wrote:
I would love to see you play. I bet it's a great time. And thank god you crank it once in a while :lol:
Your playing "what" guitars? You wouldn't want to give us some pics for our desktop to drool over :D Please. Although I prefer rock, I am playing an es-335 clone. I also love a great "clean" time :lol: Love the tone of an all maple jazz box.
Pics if you can. Thanks,
Jac

Sorry, no pics, I'm too much of a luddite for that.

My main guitar is a Byrdland. As a full hollow, feedback becomes a problem long before volume gets up there. If I want to crank it, I have an 80's 335, and a LP copy, and some others.

My friend with the original 50's Tweed Deluxe has the collection, a couple of vintage D'Angelico's, (a New Yorker and an Excell), a 7 string Unger, a Cambellone, a D'Aquisto before the brand was dumbed down, and a whole whack of others. All very serious jazz guitars. I think we put 1/2 a million $$$ worth of guitars through the amps in less than 30 minutes. If you've never played a premium guitar like a D'Angelico or a D'Aquisto, you don't know what you are missing. I thought my Byrdland was the cat's ass until I played a $20 000.00 Ribbeke guitar. As the price goes up you run into diminishing returns, but the tonal balance across all strings and all the way up the neck is incredible on some of these instruments. The hand made stuff by the master luthiers are noticably different, and almost without exception, better than the assembly line stuff from Fibson and Gender. I've owned Les Pauls over the years, and loved 'em while I did, but until you play something better, you won't know that there is something better.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:45 pm 
Expert
Expert

But I don't have $20,000.00 :oops: :oops: :oops:
So I'll to settle for what I've got. :shock:
And great amps from Trinity :D
It's all I got :D :D
Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:55 pm 
Friend
Friend

jac wrote:
But I don't have $20,000.00 :oops: :oops: :oops:
So I'll to settle for what I've got. :shock:
And great amps from Trinity :D
It's all I got :D :D
Later

I don't have a $20 000.00 guitar either :lol:

I could have one, or...... I could remain married. I don't think I can pull off both :!: :!: :!:

Paul