trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:02 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Has anybody tried their Triwatt with a Fulltone OCD yet. I have try one in a store with a solidstate Marshall, and was impressed, but I haven't tried it with a good tube amp, nevermind my Triwatt.

I am currently running a Red LLama Clone as my "Mildly Crunchy Overdrive", and love the dynamics of that pedal, but a lack of tone control is making be wonder if the OCD would be better suited in that role. Plus the LP/HP mode seems to give the OCD a little more versatility the Red LLama Clone doesn't have.

I am using a Fulltone Fulldrive as a Lead Boost, and it seems to mesh great with the OCD. The Red LLama would be then used as a "Fuzz Substitute". A job that it does very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:06 pm 
Novice
Novice

I just sold my OCD V4. I was never too impressed with it with a Hiwatt, using P-90s or Humbuckers. Too dark and muddy. It did sound awesome with my friend's rig, which was a strat into a Traynor YCS90.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:21 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks for the feedback on the Triwatt/OCD Combo.

I have notice there are a few boost/drive/distortion effects that the Triwatt seems not to like as well as others, and usually they are major tone alterers. The BBE Freq Boost & MXR Classic Distortion are two that seem to love my Marshall JCM 900, but only sound OK thru the Triwatt.

If the deal works out I might be getting a Jauernig Atomic Fet-Boy. There is a sound sample of that pedal on a remake of Focus's Hocus Pocus, being use with a 20 watt Hiwatt. The question is will the pedal and the Triwatt sound similar at low to mid volume levels, or is high volume required.

http://www.northcoastguitars.com.au/tcjafb.html

Last edited by ROB_PRICE on Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:17 pm 
Novice
Novice

FWIW, I love my Keeley Rat into my Hiwatts, and the Triwatt in particular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:04 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I use a V3 OCD with my rig, i LOVE it with my Triwatt! Not too dark at all! I use it on the LP settinng for my mid OD setting. I use a Radial Plexitube for my heavy OD and a Maxon 808 foir my low OD.

I run the triwatt on the mixed input, with a fairly clean, bright setting. Maybe thats why I doint find it too dark?

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:55 am 
Experienced
Experienced

In one of the Triwatt prototype test sessions, we tried an OCD through the Triwatt - it was awesome. I found most pedals to sound pretty good, but much preferred distortion pedals with a more "modern" voicing over more "vintage" pedals. I too found the old school sounding pedals a bit muddy/murky...

www.slyfichapel.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:09 am 
Experienced
Experienced

OCD - I do want to try one thru the Triwatt before I buy, but I was impressed, in the store, with the Fulldrive/OCD being use together.

The Fulldrive, to me is the Ultimate Tubescreamer, and I feel works very well with the Triwatt. Tonight I will try using the Fulldrive more as a clean boost in Comp Cut Mode, and use the Red LLama Clone in front of it for the dirt. Hopefully the Fulldrive's Tone control can pull a little of the presence off the Red LLama. To me the Red LLama's touch sensitivity is almost as good as the OCD.

Bgroup - I am rediscovering the Marshall JCM 900. I still like the Triwatt better, but I do not it's worth it to sell the Marshall, & I am getting some pretty awesome tones out of it if you spend the time to tweak them in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:11 pm 
Novice
Novice

Maybe it's my guitars or playing style, but I could never get the OCD (and I've had 2 of them.... A v2 and v4) bright/clear enough for my tastes with my Hiwatts.

Into a clean amp, at low drive levels, it kind of killed the amps dynamics, and at higher settings compressed even more and just got dark and muddy. I really tried to like them. The v2 was better than the 4 in the clarity dept, but neither were as good as other pedals in the same genre I've tried.

Along the same lines, the Barber Direct Drive was better than the OCD, IMHO, and the Keeley Rat (ironically, since it's technically a distortion pedal) by far my favorite.

If you want the Hiwatt OD sound from a clean amp, a Tim or Timmy is the ticket.

Post subject: EMMA OnoMATOpoeia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:11 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I "won" an EMMA OnoMATOpoeia on Ebay, for a very, very good price. I will have to see how that works as the last boost stage before the Triwatt. Hopefully it likes a Fulltone Fulldrive being fed into it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:42 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

ROB_PRICE wrote:
OCD - I do want to try one thru the Triwatt before I buy, but I was impressed, in the store, with the Fulldrive/OCD being use together.

The Fulldrive, to me is the Ultimate Tubescreamer, and I feel works very well with the Triwatt. Tonight I will try using the Fulldrive more as a clean boost in Comp Cut Mode, and use the Red LLama Clone in front of it for the dirt. Hopefully the Fulldrive's Tone control can pull a little of the presence off the Red LLama. To me the Red LLama's touch sensitivity is almost as good as the OCD.

Bgroup - I am rediscovering the Marshall JCM 900. I still like the Triwatt better, but I do not it's worth it to sell the Marshall, & I am getting some pretty awesome tones out of it if you spend the time to tweak them in.

I love the OCD, and I loved it through the Triwatt even though it is a somewhat "vintage" sounding pedal (I generally prefer "modern" sounding pedals through the Triwatt). Never tried the Fulldrive or Red Llama although I am curious! Drat, that list just got longer!! ;)

My two goto distortion pedals right now are my Vintage Rat and my stock Blues Driver - one of those two always works for me. :)

Oh yeah, the JCM900 is a GREAT amp - I agree it's not as comprehensive or inspiring as the Triwatt, but man when it's right, it's REALLY right. I would be horrified to ever sell mine - it's one of my (not so) secret weapons. :)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:46 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Tripower455 wrote:
Maybe it's my guitars or playing style, but I could never get the OCD (and I've had 2 of them.... A v2 and v4) bright/clear enough for my tastes with my Hiwatts.

Into a clean amp, at low drive levels, it kind of killed the amps dynamics, and at higher settings compressed even more and just got dark and muddy. I really tried to like them. The v2 was better than the 4 in the clarity dept, but neither were as good as other pedals in the same genre I've tried.

Along the same lines, the Barber Direct Drive was better than the OCD, IMHO, and the Keeley Rat (ironically, since it's technically a distortion pedal) by far my favorite.

If you want the Hiwatt OD sound from a clean amp, a Tim or Timmy is the ticket.

Interesting because I've never met a pedal that my "real" Hiwatt DR103 didn't like...

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:01 pm 
Novice
Novice

Quote:

Interesting because I've never met a pedal that my "real" Hiwatt DR103 didn't like...

Maybe I am more picky, or it's the way I use them (clean), but there were a lot of od pedals I wasn't thrilled with into my Hiwatts, real (DR504) or cloned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:00 pm 
Novice
Novice

I went to see Roger Daltrey last night, and his guitarist, Frank Simes, was using an OCD into a DR103.

It sounded great from the balcony seats! He was constantly bending over and adjusting it though. The seats were so good that, even without binoculars, I was able to see the OCD sitting on the floor. I was also able to see his settings, which were more or less 12:00 all the way across the board, and he plugged into the bottom input on the normal channel.

Great show btw, if you guys get the chance, check him out!

Post subject: EMMA OnoMATOpoeia
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:23 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Well the EMMA OnoMATOpoeia is doing the trick. It seems to really focus the sound of the amp, & the Fulltone Fulldrive sounds great with it. Using it alone it nails Gilmour's "Shine On" Sound. I know than can be done with the Triwatt's Boost Control, but I don't like a Boost after my Delay. It loves Fuzzes also.

I was able to A/B it with a friend's Xotic AC Booster and I would say the AC Booster is is more Marshally while the OnoMATOpoeia is more Hiwatty.

Would I pay the new price for an EMMA OnoMATOpoeia? Probably not, I most likely could find something cheaper to do the job, but I couldn't say no for how much I payed for it.

Post subject: Re: EMMA OnoMATOpoeia
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:54 pm 
Expert
Expert

ROB_PRICE wrote:
I know than can be done with the Triwatt's Boost Control, but I don't like a Boost after my Delay.

Sounds like you need to insert an effects loop after the MV for your Delay pedal, along the lines of what I suggested to Tripower.

And just try saying EMMA OnoMATOpoeia after a few drinks. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:32 am 
Experienced
Experienced

So I am happy with my current Effect Chain for the Triwatt, but who knows for how long:

BBE Orange Compressor / Korg Pitchblack Tuner / Fulltone Ultimate Octave Fuzz / Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe / Fulltone Fulldrive II / EMMA OnoMATOpoeia / EHX Holy Stain (for Reverb) / BYOC Digital Delay / Triwatt 1-12 Combo w/BBQ Axis Ceramic Speaker & Avatar 1-12 Open Back Vintage Extention Cabinet w/Fane AX12-150 Speaker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:44 am 
Expert
Expert

Heh, I just have one home-made Germanium Rangemaster, and recently I bought a Boss CE-5 chorus pedal off Craig's List which I've modded. Most of the time I don't use either of them. I just let the guitar and the tubes do the work for me. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:19 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
Heh, I just have one home-made Germanium Rangemaster, and recently I bought a Boss CE-5 chorus pedal off Craig's List which I've modded. Most of the time I don't use either of them. I just let the guitar and the tubes do the work for me. :D

I love the sound of a great guitar straight through a good amp... and at home I practice a lot with the Triwatt (or 15/sIII/etc) and nothing else.
However playing in a bar cover band youhave a lot of territory to cover so to speak... a chorus, a delay (or two) a compressor, boost, and two or three overdrives to get various levels of dirt is pretty much required to play the variety of music we cover.

That being said, I still love my OCD through any of my Trinity amps... but I just bought a Keeler push (overdrive) and it really sounds great through the Tri as well!

AJC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:08 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I love the sound of them, but the one thing I have noticed is that the vintage style Boosts & Fuzzs love to pick up Radio Stations, so I use my compressor, set lightly, to buffer my Fulltone Ultimate Octave Fuzz. The Fuzz Face Clones I have used seem to only want to be first in the effects chain, and do not like a compressor pushing them, but then they tune in stations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:29 pm 
Novice
Novice

I just ordered a BYOC Large Beaver (Big Muff clone with mods) for my Triwatt. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Too many kits - too little time and money.