trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:29 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

[quote="jcny"]Nice looking Gibby :shock: What model? And isn't natural supposed to be very rare? :P :P :P

Yeah it's an ES 175D ,I guess the natural ones are rare...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:47 pm 
Novice
Novice

bgroup wrote:
Emohawk... we collectively promise that cherry beauty will absolutely KILL through the Triwatt... my much less beautiful black SG sure did!!!! :D

Darrin......we'll order 2 :lol:

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:18 pm 
Friend
Friend

In light of all the success I motion that the TRIWATT be moved out of the Dressing Room and put ONSTAGE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:37 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Chris9723 wrote:
In light of all the success I motion that the TRIWATT be moved out of the Dressing Room and put ONSTAGE!

No..I think you mean you are making a movement on the floor...no.no I don't think that's right either..

:wink:
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:19 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Hey Stephen, do we need a "show off your other gear" category??? You're going to need a bigger server 8) :kool:

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:13 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Chris9723 wrote:

TRIWATT forum is On-Stage now. There is no doubt this will be the next amp we produce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:05 am 
Friend
Friend

Congrats to you both on a great build coming together.
Im sure we've all enjoyed the process up to this point!
Cheer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:47 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

OK, not to get pushy :twisted: :twisted:

Any ETA on the alternate iron? :P :P :P

Just wondering when the final tweeking is scheduled :P :D :P :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:14 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Heyboer is working the Partridge desing as we speak. Not ETA yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:30 am 
Friend
Friend

1st time poster.
long time lover.
......whaaaa ???

hahhahaa !!!

This has been one of the best threads i've ever read.
of course i'm biased on the fact that this amp just very well be what's been missing in my tonal playlist, that one in my head that seems to drown out a lot of day to day conversations in the "real" world. :wink:

I don't know as much as most of you by a long shot, but i love quality tones.

Just gotta chime in on this, since all the transformer talk is quite exciting.
I would have to hear and be told the difference.....
but bigger transformers, as i understand, usually lend more girth and kick, dare i say the impressive quality of a clean hard slap ??

sorry it's really late, i write like this when i'm like this..... :shock:

i think the option of, and i have no clue about the technical, so i am in no way trying to be an idiot when writing here........, but the fixed bias issue, if possible to incorporate rear bias jacks for the option, if possible, of other tube types ??
just a thought i have been having when it comes to amps.
I think i'm just becoming a KT66 nut.
I got my 1st JTM45, and it's a keeper for me. I've never had the opportunity to play an amp like this before. I feel like peter green/fleetwood, but without the chops.

So i'm just ranting, i know, it's this feeling i got about....yeah if the 6V6's work...awesome, but how/or if a larger bottle would compliment ??
KT's...EL's....oh my or oh no ??

I'm interested and curious....and just trying to learn as i can.
rock'n roll.

: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:31 am 
Expert
Expert

Fortis wrote:
bgroup wrote:
Emohawk... we collectively promise that cherry beauty will absolutely KILL through the Triwatt... my much less beautiful black SG sure did!!!! :D

Darrin......we'll order 2 :lol:

Keith

Planning to keep me busy, are ya??? :) Not that I'm complaining!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:33 am 
Expert
Expert

amp boy wrote:
Just gotta chime in on this, since all the transformer talk is quite exciting. I would have to hear and be told the difference.....
but bigger transformers, as i understand, usually lend more girth and kick, dare i say the impressive quality of a clean hard slap ??

Yes, that is very true generally. Right now we have a 36W output transformer on this amp, that's even dwarfing the power transformer. :shock: However, with a more Partridge-like OT, we may be able to get a bit more detail into the upper frequency end of the tone, although it has *lots* of detail already. This is all under consideration at the moment, since you run into a law of diminishing returns thing, as you go to more and more expensive transformers. I doubt that even bats can hear frequencies as high as 118kHz.
amp boy wrote:
......., but the fixed bias issue, if possible to incorporate rear bias jacks for the option, if possible, of other tube types ?? just a thought i have been having when it comes to amps.

Unfortunately it's not that simple, as you need different voltages, and impedances, and hence transformers, for different tube types. However, once we've got this amp nailed down, then we may look at a bigger bottle version.
amp boy wrote:
I think i'm just becoming a KT66 nut. I got my 1st JTM45, and it's a keeper for me. I've never had the opportunity to play an amp like this before. I feel like peter green/fleetwood, but without the chops.

Brent also has a custom-built JTM45 now, which you'll see in the "family picture" earlier in this thread. He says the same kind of thing about his JTM45. :D Those amps have some tone, especially for blues and early classic rock styles.
amp boy wrote:
... it's this feeling i got about....yeah if the 6V6's work...awesome, but how/or if a larger bottle would compliment ??

Well EL34s and KT88s were the stock tubes used in true Hiwatt amps. However, they're too friggin loud for most purposes, unless you want to peel paint off your walls or kill small birds flying by. :lol: There's also other people already making those. However, I really like the idea of a KT66 Triwatt version some time in the future. It would be louder than the 6V6 version, without being quite as loud as an EL34 or KT88 one. However, at the moment our main focus is getting all the details of the TRIWATT Mk I nailed down right now, and getting it into production. So I wouldn't hold my breath for a Mk II coming any time real soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:42 pm 

I love the use of 6v6's for the Triwatt, but having bias test points & adjustability on the back panel would be most excellent, especially for those of us that have a variety of NOS 6v6's stashed! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:48 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

amp boy wrote:
So i'm just ranting, i know, it's this feeling i got about....yeah if the 6V6's work...awesome, but how/or if a larger bottle would compliment ??

I was initially quite vocal on here about the need for big bottles... until I heard it! :D Now, I don't think it's necessary AT ALL. 8) My take on it at this point is, if you want bone-crushing headroom, just go find an old DR103 like I've got. IMO, the Triwatt has all the ear-bleeding and bone-fracturing headroom that 90% of people would need 90% of the time as it is right now. It also works at lower volumes (which frankly I don't think DR103's really do well relatively speaking - you can turn the MV down but it never really gets quiet!), so the Triwatt has EVERYTHING I think. Loud, soft, AND versatility with the "added" features... IMO, this thing is pretty much the "perfect" Hiwatt. It's certainly not up to me, but I feel trying to design any more versatility into this thing could dilute it's intent (and perhaps even tone). The one exception I think would be the VRM which could be useful to some...

I feel that at this point, this amp is ALMOST all things, to ALMOST all people. Seriously. :D The KT66 idea is interesting, but I'd say wait til you hear this thing before you decide whether or not you feel it's necessary... :wink:

Yup, absolutely LOVE my JTM... it's a keeper for me too! :)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:33 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Features like external bias points are not a deal breaker or that hard to include.

Big bottles are more so. The OT we are having custom made by Heyboer right now, is an 8K clone of the orignal HIWATT Partridge 50 watt OT. It is based on a teardown.

Now, to acommodate the big bottles, etc, the OT has to change and maybe the PT. It would be possible to do so on the same platform but you need different Iron and a Partridge clone will be hard to find.

My son, Andrew, finally played this today in the shop and tho the only cab we had was a 212 V30, my ears were ringing. I should have a twin TT Alnico for this weekends Tone Testing part II

You're unlikely to need more power, this amp could do a mid size venue live show and your mates are likely to ask you to turn it down. So as Brent says, wait til you hear this thing before you decide whether or not you feel it's necessary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:37 am 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
Now, to acommodate the big bottles, etc, the OT has to change and maybe the PT. It would be possible to do so on the same platform but you need different Iron and a Partridge clone will be hard to find.

Mercury Magentics does make a 50W OT based on the very early Partridge iron, but it's just a little on the pricey side at $260 USD! Not exactly surprising - Mercury's ain't cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:12 am 
Expert
Expert

MM is one of the places that you can get 50W Partridge clone iron from, although not the only one. And certainly if someone really wanted to increase the power of this amp, it wouldn't be too hard for them to buy the big iron and substitute it for the regular Triwatt transformers. It also needs to be noted the Premium Triwatt OT will be an 8k version of the Partridge design, for use with 6V6s. And like it's already been said, this amp is already capable of being *real* loud, for those who want that. And the 6V6s deliver plenty of tone, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:19 pm 

Will the Triwatt be available as a kit? :?:
I sure hope so! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:20 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

We're leaning in that direction so we can bulk purchase, especially the transformers and chassis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:17 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I'm with Cobra on that one. I might even be able to afford one if so! 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next