trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:53 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
8) You always know you picked a good name when it shows up somehere else! If you're cool with that, we'll continue to use it OTW we'd change it to Custom 203.

Your build looks pretty nice. Stick around and help us get ours into production! Sonds like there will be some similarities.

Go ahead and use it if you want! I thought it was pretty cool that you guys, who I've always admired, came up with the same thing I did.

Mine is pretty much a straight Hiwatt SAP copy, with some minor changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:15 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

:shock: Wow TP455!! You have a ton of filtering in there eh?!
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:44 pm 
Novice
Novice

Stoo wrote:
:shock: Wow TP455!! You have a ton of filtering in there eh?!
Stew

It's your basic Hiwatt setup. Even with not so milspec wiring, they are dead quiet, even when cranked. Until you start playing, of course!

My favorite amps bar none! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:38 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hey Tripower, great to see you again. It's been a while since you were last on 18watt.com :) Do you still have your Marwatt? How do you compare the Marwatt with your "real" Hiwatt now?
Tripower455 wrote:
I call it the Triwatt JP504! It's a Jimmy Page/SAP preamp mated to a DR504 power section, with a switchable choke. It also has a footswitchable preamp gain stage which is neat.

So you're using the same switching setup like the Jimmy Page model, with the extra cathode follower?
Tripower455 wrote:
With the choke engaged, it'll do the Marshally thing, and with the 100R, it does the 2 hole Hiwatt thing. I prefer it this way.

I've been looking for some time for someone who could do a direct comparison of the Hiwatt tone with and without a choke. So you say it sounds more Marshally with the choke in - meaning like... does it break up sooner... have more grind... or....??? Is it more/less punchy with the choke? I'd love to know.
Tripower455 wrote:
The use of the name is a complete coincidence, as I've been Tripower455 on every forum I've been on for over 10 years. Last year, when I built my DR504 clone, I used Hiwatt plates. A couple of guys on VHR sugessted that I take pride in my work and personalize it. I decided to personalize this one, hence TRIWATT...... I don't mind if you guys use the name! Just don't think that I stole it from you guys!

Thanks Tri! I appreciate your magnanimity! :D In this case the name comes both from Trinity Amps, as well as the fact that we use three inputs, like with Dave Gilmour's amps.
Tripower455 wrote:
It still needs some cleaning up inside.

I think you've done a really fantastic job, reproducing the traditional Hiwatt layout. 8) For our Triwatt, we're using a more compact, single-board layout, and the prototype board I'm using has the components looking a little squashed together in some places. :lol: But that's what prototypes are for, anyway, and the next rev will correct these minor issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:13 pm 
Novice
Novice

zaphod wrote:
Hey Tripower, great to see you again. It's been a while since you were last on 18watt.com :) Do you still have your Marwatt? How do you compare the Marwatt with your "real" Hiwatt now?

Phil,

Yeah, I've been around.... I still have my Marwatt that you and the others on 18 Watt.com helped me with years ago....

I've got 3 hiwatts to compare it to, a real '78 2 hole DR504, a 4 hole DR504 clone i built last year and now this one.

The Marwatt is closest to the 4 hole DR504 IMHO. It doesn't have the THUNK of the EL34s, but does a great job at getting the Hiwatt vibe.

Quote:
So you're using the same switching setup like the Jimmy Page model, with the extra cathode follower?

Exactly. Not the most efficient way but it does work pretty well. I am still getting used to the thing.

[
Quote:
I've been looking for some time for someone who could do a direct comparison of the Hiwatt tone with and without a choke. So you say it sounds more Marshally with the choke in - meaning like... does it break up sooner... have more grind... or....??? Is it more/less punchy with the choke? I'd love to know.

It breaks up a little sooner and has a noticeably softer attack. It is overall a much looser feel than the using the 100R resistor. I like it, but it really isn't my cup of tea for everything or my style of playing. I prefer the tighter, punchier Hiwatt type output section. It's neat to have both!

Quote:
Thanks Tri! I appreciate your magnanimity! :D In this case the name comes both from Trinity Amps, as well as the fact that we use three inputs, like with Dave Gilmour's amps.

Very cool and appropriate!

I am looking forward to seeing how yours works out. Mine is just a hacked copy of a Hiwatt.

Quote:
I think you've done a really fantastic job, reproducing the traditional Hiwatt layout. 8)

You're just being nice! It looked a LOT better before I spent about 8 hours troubleshooting a truly bonehead mistake and had to tear it apart!

Quote:
For our Triwatt, we're using a more compact, single-board layout, and the prototype board I'm using has the components looking a little squashed together in some places. :lol: But that's what prototypes are for, anyway, and the next rev will correct these minor issues.

Again, VERY cool..... It'd be nice to have the sound without the size!

I'll be checking it out often!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:55 pm 
Expert
Expert

Thanks for your kind comments.
Tripower455 wrote:
The Marwatt is closest to the 4 hole DR504 IMHO. It doesn't have the THUNK of the EL34s, but does a great job at getting the Hiwatt vibe.

Fascinating. We're going with 6V6s so we can get that solid thunk in a lower power (but still fairly loud) amp.
Tripower455 wrote:
It breaks up a little sooner and has a noticeably softer attack. It is overall a much looser feel than the using the 100R resistor. I like it, but it really isn't my cup of tea for everything or my style of playing. I prefer the tighter, punchier Hiwatt type output section. It's neat to have both!

Thanks for that really useful information! :D
Tripower455 wrote:
I am looking forward to seeing how yours works out. Mine is just a hacked copy of a Hiwatt..... It looked a LOT better before I spent about 8 hours troubleshooting a truly bonehead mistake and had to tear it apart!

Well our prototype build isn't going to be that pretty inside either. :) There's some things you only find out about the layout when you build the first one, as you can't completely spatially visualise inside the amp on a computer screen or layout drawing.
coco wrote:
So the TRIWATT is now in Phil's shop for the next stage.

To help give more British amp mojo, I'm using some NOS solder I brought with me from the UK, and also soldering with a 240V soldering iron. :) The flux smoke from that old solder smells so sweet, I'd swear there must be hash oil mixed in it. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:11 pm 
Novice
Novice

zaphod wrote:
Thanks for your kind comments.
Tripower455 wrote:

Fascinating. We're going with 6V6s so we can get that solid thunk in a lower power (but still fairly loud) amp.

It's funny that you mention the 6V6s. I've run the JJ 6V6's in my DR504s (480 on the plates), and they sound great. IMHO, as good as EL34s. They are not a whole lot quieter, but definitely have that THUNK like an EL34. I wonder how much the big Partridge iron contributes to that?

I've been thinking of redoing my Marwatt with 6V6s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:55 pm 
Expert
Expert

Possibly that's part of it, plus the fact the entire amp design stays pretty much standard with the 6V6s, and they're also known for having a good strong low end response. According to the Hiwatt cogniscenti, later amps built by Biacrown after Dave Reeves died, which didn't use Partridge iron, sounded "every bit as good as the earlier Hylight ones". Make of that what you will....

Still it's really good to know that we're on the right track here with the 6V6s. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:32 pm 
Novice
Novice

zaphod wrote:
Possibly that's part of it, plus the fact the entire amp design stays pretty much standard with the 6V6s, and they're also known for having a good strong low end response. According to the Hiwatt cogniscenti, later amps built by Biacrown after Dave Reeves died, which didn't use Partridge iron, sounded "every bit as good as the earlier Hylight ones". Make of that what you will....

Still it's really good to know that we're on the right track here with the 6V6s. :D

When I started planning out my Triwatt build, I was initially gonna use 4 JJ 6V6s and have the ability to switch 2 of them off, essentially halving the wattage. I still might do this....

The only problem is that even with 2 6V6s, it is still loud enough to need an attenuator for some of the gigs I do, so in since I use the attenuator anyway, why not just leave the EL34s in there?
Not to mention that even with the JJS, I am running them far beyond design voltage, although I have over 100 hours on one pair of them and they are like new......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:07 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

JJ 6V6's in a DR504s (480 on the plates), yikes! and they took it.
:jawdrop:
Phil, I guess we'll see if we need PSU voltage control on the prototype.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:58 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Stephen.
Perhaps you've seen this on the Eurotube site re:jj 6v6Ss
Quote.
6V6S
Factory description: Gold plated control grid for improved fidelity. Special plate alloy improves performance over any 6V6. This tube has the ability to handle 450 plate volts in triode mode and 500 plate volts in pentode mode.
Unquote.
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:30 pm 
Novice
Novice

coco wrote:
JJ 6V6's in a DR504s (480 on the plates), yikes! and they took it.
:jawdrop:
Phil, I guess we'll see if we need PSU voltage control on the prototype.

Yeah, they aren't "real" 6V6s. Lots of guys have been using them in EL34 applications.

I had them in my "real" DR504 for over a year, and never an issue. All it took was a rebias.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:14 pm 
Expert
Expert

coco wrote:
JJ 6V6's in a DR504s (480 on the plates), yikes! and they took it. Phil, I guess we'll see if we need PSU voltage control on the prototype.

Unfortunately, our filter caps are only rated at 450V, and I'm trying to keep slightly below that for some safety margin. But yes, those JJs will handle up to 500V. At 480V, I would imagine they're putting out over 25W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:21 pm 
Novice
Novice

zaphod wrote:
coco wrote:
JJ 6V6's in a DR504s (480 on the plates), yikes! and they took it. Phil, I guess we'll see if we need PSU voltage control on the prototype.

Unfortunately, our filter caps are only rated at 450V, and I'm trying to keep slightly below that for some safety margin. But yes, those JJs will handle up to 500V. At 480V, I would imagine they're putting out over 25W.

I'll go along with that! They are definitely louder than I thought they'd be in that application......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:29 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Phil has been working on the Triwatt for two weeks and I went over today to help and try to fire it up. Phil was still working on a few connections.

Hands of a Surgeon! Dr. Phil at work!

When all connections were made and double checked, in went the power tubes. We installed a VRM to be able to test the amp at various voltages. At full voltage, things seemd to be fine.

Inside View - Power is On!

We installed one pre-amp tube at a time to see what happend at each installation.

All the tubes now fire up. That's the good news. Not so good news is that we were getting very little signal through. Just some faint distorted guitar sound with the overdrive stage switched on. So Phil plans to do a little fault finding.

All in all, it's still pretty good progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:18 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Looks good :D :D
Been wondering how things have been progressing.
Hope the issue is minor, looking forward to a tone report :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:20 pm 
Expert
Expert

The wiring's not as tidy as I'd normally like to do it, but this is a prototype, and we've been ironing out a few wrinkles along the way - plus a couple of my own stupid mistakes. :lol: Now I'm going to cheack all the voltages and then inject a signal into the front of the amp and follow it through, to find out where the sound is getting lost....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Well, I noticed it didn't have the Reeves Mil-Spec rectilinear wiring :D :D

It will probably wind up being something simple, one of those "gads, I did what! Doh!" moments :P

Sure you'll find it soon, but engineer types like to keep things methodical, it's ingrained in us :D

Really looking forward to this one :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:45 pm 
Expert
Expert

It's always a good idea to start by checking all the voltages. That often provides valuable clues.
jcny wrote:
It will probably wind up being something simple, one of those "gads, I did what! Doh!" moments :P

In this case while checking the voltages, I suddenly noticed that I had forgotten to make two connections. Gads, I did what?? Doh!!! :oops: :lol:

Now suddenly I have a really loud Hiwatt-ish amp in front of me! :D The tone has a lot of clarity and really sparkles. Low end is big and solid. Just how a Hiwatt should sound. :D Engaging the OL boost stage gives some great distortion, with a nice grind to it, and not fizzy at all, although you do get some hiss when it's on. I can play those crunchy Townshend power chords, without totally killing my eardrums. Being a distortion kind of guy, I would probably run this amp most of the time with the OL stage engaged.

There is a little background hum at the moment, which seems to be getting in at the PI, so I'll need to play around with that a little. Still not a bad start at all, especially considering the complexity of this amp. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:31 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Hurray! Considering the discussion we had on the complexity of this amp - 2 connections - bah humbug!! I'll bet I missed them on the layout.

Turned up, Troubleshoot, Working Hiwatt'ish amp working = Well done. :D

Can't wait to make a return trip and hear it. I should bring the 212 bomb.

How do you think the OT is managing? I know we talked a lot about that. With a lot of clarity, sparkle and solid low end, it does sound promising.

Wondering how clean it is without the boost engaged. And what of the Link jack.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next