trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KT66 Tubes for Triwatt?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:51 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I think the Triwatt was tested for the most part with Golden Dragon KT66 tubes. From what I have read (not 100% certain) the Golden Dragon, the Shuguang & the Valley Art are the same tube just relabled. So I would think the these would all be fine to use in the Triwatt. The same would be true for the Gold Lion KT66

The question are the tubes that seem to be either heavy duty variations on the KT66 such as the JJ KT66, and the tubes that seem to be a rebottled 6L6, such as the Sovtek & Tungsol be OK to use also?

Also has anyone had any feedback on the use of the Sovtek 12AX7-WB preamp tubes. I have few of these from the early 1990s that I will want to try in the Triwatt.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:31 pm 
Expert
Expert

Anything that will work at a real KT66's load impedance and voltage levels should be fine in this amp. They're not being stressed at all. However, you probably won't get tone that's quite so good with the "re-bottled" 6L6s, so I would tend to recommend real KT66s for tone.

You may also recall these comments from Richard Johnson:
rjgtr wrote:
I like either the Shuguang or JJ KT-66s. I find the Shuguangs like to be biased hot.... I think I used about 75%. They just growl a little better there to me. I read about it in a review of them somewhere and it works.... The JJs are a little purer sounding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:21 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I have some Gold Lion "Genalex" KT66 that just arrived today! So you know where I'm going.

Have used Shuguang in JTM45 and yes, bias hot and they do growl nicely. Just ask Brent!