trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:16 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Well gents, off to the local watering hole to set up my gear. The band I play rythm guitar in is playing this weekend, and I am gigging my Triwatt for the first time. Going to be playing through my new Trinity 2x12 cab as well (two alnico TT's) and of course using a brand new guitar :) I am using the semi hollow with the TC jones pickups, and my Peavey HP special with Peavey HB's.

I have total confidence in the Triwatt - I was going to bring my TC15 (what I usually use) as a backup but I think I have used the triwatt enough (about 5 hours) to know its not going to cap out due to something I did in the build. At least thats what I am hoping!

Report back later on... :)

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:14 pm 
Expert
Expert

Good luck and have fun (the most important part)
Cheers :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:04 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Cant Wait to hear how it went. Best of Luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:24 am 
Experienced
Experienced

well, its 2:20, and I will keep this brief as I have to get up early tomorrow and go up to Timmins...

The Triwatt KICKS ASS!! It is so loud, first of all, with the KT66's VS the TC15, I have the volume just cracked open and the master at 9 oclock and it was quite a kick in the chops!

I have my Trinity 2x12 turned on its side, on a 12" riser. I stand more or less in front of the cabinet and it was very clear, punchy and easy to (maybe too easy) cut through and at times I was overpowering our lead guitarist who plays through a Peavey 1x12 combo. No match for the Triwatt and a 2x12 cab, I know.

I am very pleased with the amp. All the effects I used are very quiet through the amp, even my high gain pedals.

I pretty much kept to the bright channel, with the tones all around 12 oclock, the pres. at about 10 oclock and the OD pulled out and about 1 oclock. NO squeal at all.

Will fool more tomorrow with the tones, its a very middly setting right now but it sounds great with my HB equipped Peavey. WIll play the tele tomorrow and see how the single coils sound.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:41 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Good to hear you made it. Interesting you played through the bright channel, although with the KT66, not too surprised. I wouldnt have thought it that loud but cant argue. I guess this maean it was pretty clean as well, and so is also good for rhythm.

Maybe let your lead player at it!!

Also good that the tone controls were in the middle - this is becoming a trend. How was the sound.

Maybe try to back off on the OD and push the power tubes harder. Just an idea to try.

Good luck tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:10 am 
Expert
Expert

ajcoholic wrote:
I have my Trinity 2x12 turned on its side, on a 12" riser.

That way actually spreads the sound across the stage better.
coco wrote:
I wouldnt have thought it that loud but cant argue. I guess this maean it was pretty clean as well, and so is also good for rhythm.

I'm actually not real surprised. The amp was loud enough with just 6V6s for Lawrence to play the whole gig at The Holywood, doing both clean and dirt tones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:13 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I'm not sure ajc was miked tho whereas Larry was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:53 am 
Expert
Expert

Larry was mic'ed but he still had to be able to hear himself on stage over everything else. And it was pretty loud there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:14 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yes, I have to agree, it can be loud. This is the first time anyone's used KT66 live AFAIK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:02 pm 
Expert
Expert

Good stuff! Does ajc have a new go-to amp? :D

I might try the KT's at some point, but I'm pretty happy at the moment. Not curious enough (yet) to spring for some Gold Lions or anything...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:13 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
I'm not sure ajc was miked tho whereas Larry was.

I have a direct box between the amp and cab - we go through the PA.

On the way to go play again. I will try turning down the OD and upping the master V.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:15 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Emohawk wrote:
Good stuff! Does ajc have a new go-to amp? :D

I might try the KT's at some point, but I'm pretty happy at the moment. Not curious enough (yet) to spring for some Gold Lions or anything...

Well, the TC15 isnt going anywhere - at any time! I willprobably pull out the Radial headbone though, and use both the TC and the Tri next time. Not too much extra work to carry along another head.

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:26 pm 
Expert
Expert

ajcoholic wrote:
Well, the TC15 isnt going anywhere - at any time! I willprobably pull out the Radial headbone though, and use both the TC and the Tri next time. Not too much extra work to carry along another head.

Yeah - I hear you. I didn't think the TC-15 would be my bag at all, but when I built one for Fortis I was converted. What a wonderful little amp, and completely different from anything I have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:55 am 
Experienced
Experienced

quick update... since its 2:53 am and I need to get to sleep!

#1 - The triwatt... played the mixed inputs and played around with the two volumes untill I got a good mix of briteness and bassiness (yes, I know I make up words). Backed off the OD a bit and played with the tones but I still like them more or less straight up.

The triwatt is a great gigging amp!

#2 - the lead guitarist was having amp issues, so I brought my TC15, and 2x12 with the bomb set up. and let him play that. He really liked it!

Good night...

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:11 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thanks for checking in with the report. Sounds like you've got the TRIWATT figured to where you like it. Really happy the Tone controls sit in the middle range because that gives a additional play for other tones (e.g. emo metal).

I was thinking you could try to push the Power Tubes harder and get that power tube OD.

Volume about the same? Was this the club I went to last summer?

TC-15 to the rescue!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:18 am 
Expert
Expert

Your lead guitar guy must be burning up with envy over all the cool guitar and amps you keep building for yourself. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:29 am 
Novice
Novice

I agree zaphod. I am sure the Peavey is fine, but think I would trust a hand built PTP amp more on gigs. Without hearing them together I'm sure the Trinity's blow it out of the water. I played a few years ago with an Allen Accomplice and the other guy used a Fender Blues Jr. Honestly the BJ could not come close to the dynamics, tone, etc of the Allen made from a kit. Re: PTP amps, if they do go down at least they are easier to work on and diagnose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:24 am 
Experienced
Experienced

well, its now 11:17 am and I feel a lot better... sleep is a wonderful thing! ;)

With the OD down to about 10 oclock, I had the master at just past 9 oclock and the volumes about 8.

I found the bright channel a little too bright with my tele on its own. And the normal sounds great but I have a hard time hearing the highs (hearing loss from work) and the mixed inputs give s a great control over the tone. Very much like having the middle setting on a Les Paul and mixing the pickups with each independant volume.

The tone of the amp reminds me of the electric guitar coming in on the beginning riff of Pinball Wizard... VERY punchy, very clear and just the right amount of dirt can be dialed in with the OD.

I hate to say it but the TC 15 may be falling to 2nd place on my favourites. But, let me get back to you in a few more month on that decision. Regardless, the TC is a totally different animal and I will never get rid of mine.

Once the Triwatt gets out in more hands I can see this becoming the most sold model... at least thats my opinion.

I am 100% happy I have one!

AJC

PS the lead guitar player, Steve, is an excellent guitarist... very talented and although he doesnt spend a lot on gear, he can make anything sound good, if you know what I mean. But I loved his tones he was getting last night :)

Stephen, yes it was at the bellevue tavern again - you know its a smaller place, but when its packed we play pretty loud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:43 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
I found the bright channel a little too bright with my tele on its own.

With KT66 too. Interesting. Larry had 6V6 at the Hollywood with your Tele. Of course, he wasn't using the Tone Tubbys that night. Makes a big difference.

Quote:
The tone of the amp reminds me of the electric guitar coming in on the beginning riff of Pinball Wizard... VERY punchy, very clear and just the right amount of dirt can be dialed in with the OD.

That would be good to know!!

Quote:
Once the Triwatt gets out in more hands I can see this becoming the most sold model

Once all the early-builders get some play time experience and start to spread the word, I expect we'll get more inquiries. We've done pretty well for a new product so far.

Quote:
I am 100% happy I have one!

So am I! :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:03 pm 
Expert
Expert

ajcoholic wrote:
The tone of the amp reminds me of the electric guitar coming in on the beginning riff of Pinball Wizard...

Same here. And it's easy to see why, since Townshend was using a hot-rodded Hiwatt. :D