trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Presence
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:14 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Is it just me or is the presence control REALLY subtle on this amp? I don't remember how it was on my old Hiwatts as I haven't had one in years.I have double checked all the connections and everything seems correct. Any one have this (minor) issue? I am still having a blast with it and my band seems to notice an improvement in my tone,so that's good news.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has tried the tweaks and what results you had with them- always looking for something to fiddle with. If I only spent this much time practicing!!!!

Last edited by G-log on Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:19 pm 
Expert
Expert

It's not just you. It is very subtle. More of a top end entender than a traditional presence really. It won't pull you back or forward in a mix like a a Marshall presence would for example. The Triwatt is ALWAYS forward in a mix! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:21 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

That's what I thought Emo. I think that is what my band notices about the difference in my sound ,the amp just has more clarity than my others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:39 pm 
Expert
Expert

Yes, when I built the first prototype Triwatt, I made the same remark, and here's what Hiwatt veteran broup had to say:

bgroup wrote:
zaphod wrote:
The Presence control seems to be fairly subtle in its effect, and I'm wondering if that's normal in Hiwatts, since the Presence/NFB circuit I'm using is identical to how all the DRs have it. Still tweaking some of the finer details...

Hey Phil - I wouldn't say the presence control on my DR103 is "subtle", but it's definitely different than what I'm used to... On most amps I find presence to be like a "high treble", and for my tastes, makes things too brittle and painful in top end... On the Hiwatt, the presence definitely adds a toppy thing, but more than anything, seems to open up the top end - almost like lifting a veil off the tone. I don't often use presence cranked on my DR, but I could in the right context without it being painful...

So, if that's what you mean by "subtle", then I concur!! :wink:

Since then, I had the opportunity of A/Bing the TRIWATT against bgroup's vintage DR103, and we found the tone and presence controls worked the same way in both amps, and they both sounded pretty close (except in volume) with their tone and presence controls set to the same positions.

G-log wrote:
That's what I thought Emo. I think that is what my band notices about the difference in my sound ,the amp just has more clarity than my others.

+1 I just love the sweet clarity and definition of these amps. :D I'd always been a dyed in the wool Marshall guy until this TRIWATT design project came up. So it's kind of been like a Hiwatt/Triwatt epiphany for me. :D