trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:05 pm 
Friend
Friend

I placed a review on harmony central for my Triwatt. I accidentally left the overall rating off, but I've submitted the correction to HC. Hopefully they'll take care of that soon. Here's the link to my review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:53 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thanks for the great review!! If others are so inspired, please add yours! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:22 pm 
Expert
Expert

I would but I don't do HC any more. I got sick of the backbiting & constant flaming that goes on over there. It was just no fun & for the most part useless.

To bad really - there's a few guys over there that REALLY know their stuff & I did learn a lot from them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:24 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Emohawk wrote:
I would but I don't do HC any more. I got sick of the backbiting & constant flaming that goes on over there.

I hear you. I dont think you need to be a member of the HC forum to post a review. We started with the reviews there years ago and want to keep an independent space for that sort of thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:20 pm 
Expert
Expert

Morogan wrote:
I placed a review on harmony central for my Triwatt. I accidentally left the overall rating off, but I've submitted the correction to HC. Hopefully they'll take care of that soon. Here's the link to my review.

Wow!!! But was there anything you liked about the amp? :lol: :D
Emohawk wrote:
I would but I don't do HC any more. I got sick of the backbiting & constant flaming that goes on over there.

I can't stand that kind of thing either. But AFAIK you don't need to take part in their BBS in order to post reviews. And a lot of folks use HC's review pages as a convenient gear database, even if you can't believe everything you read there.

PS: I never knew the closest thing to the TRIWATT was a THD Triode Yellowjacket :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:15 pm 
Friend
Friend

zaphod wrote:
Wow!!! But was there anything you liked about the amp? :lol: :D

I'm sure some people will read it and think I'm a marketing bot, but it's simply the perfect amp for me, at least to this point in my experience with it. Is it the "ultimate" amp? Well of course it isn't because there is no such thing - it's entirely dependent upon the player, and everyone has different needs. Don't get me wrong, if someone handed me a DR103, I wouldn't be complaining. On the other hand, I wouldn't ditch my Triwatt for it, either - there's additional flexibility with it, not to mention a more reasonable (and useable) sound pressure level for people to deal with.

I was at a gig recently to see a friend of mine's band and it was so damned loud everything was a painful smeared mess. I wish more sound guys understood that more volume isn't necessarily better, particularly considering the size of the venue. The Triwatt is sized appropriately for my needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:32 am 
Expert
Expert

I was just kidding you. :lol: And there's a frankness in your review that shows it's not been written by any marketing bot. The fact that you didn't give a rating for reliability and said you didn't know what the warranty was, are what shows it's a genuine user review. Thanks so much for taking the trouble! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:19 pm 
Friend
Friend

I knew you were joking. :) Still, you know how HC can be sometimes... :roll:

Just doing my part to spread the word...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:22 pm 
Friend
Friend

zaphod wrote:
PS: I never knew the closest thing to the TRIWATT was a THD Triode Yellowjacket :shock:

Well, it *is* pretty similar - I mean look, they both contain "Tri". :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:07 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Can someone copy/paste it for me? My network doesn't allow HC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:35 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
Trinity Amps TRIWATT
Summary

Manufacturer URL http://www.trinityamps.com/
Features 9.0 (1 response)
Sound Quality 10.0 (1 response)
Reliability N/A (0 responses)
Customer Support 10.0 (1 response)
Overall Rating 10.0 (1 response)

Product: Trinity Amps TRIWATT
Price Paid: USD 1560
Submitted 07/19/2009 at 05:53pm by NickE

Features : 9
My particular amp is Triwatt #2 and rolled out of Trinity Amps in mid-2009. These amps are also available as kits, but I chose to have it built to my specification and tested by the folks at TA. The preamp design is inspired by the early "4 Hole" Hiwatt DR103/Custom Hiwatt 100, and the input is based on the "3 Hole" version which has independent bright
and normal channel inputs and a third input linking the two. Other highlights are:

Switchable high-gain OL/Lead mode, with Overdrive control
    Early Hiwatt style 12AT7 or 12AX7 Phase Invertor
    Solid State rectified, fixed-bias, 6V6 output tubes, 22 Watts
    Switchable 6V6 or KT66 operation (with external bias/test)
    Transformers based on original Hiwatt Partridge transformers
    Compact size/weight
It doesn't have any on-board effects or an effects loop, but you're provided with the full schematics if you'd like to implement something yourself. Since this is essentially a lower wattage version of a classic amp, it's hard to argue against its feature set, especially when you're provided with additional features like switchable overdrive that wasn't part of the original.

Sound Quality : 10
I use single coils and humbuckers, and everything I've played through my Triwatt sounds amazing. That includes a variety of Fender and similar strat-styles, a Taylor solidbody, EBMM JP6, and Schecter C-1 Classic. I play mostly classic and progressive rock/blues, and this amp complements my sound perfectly. It has a huge amount of tonal flexibility - I've gotten Marshallesque and Fenderish sounds out of it, but it has it's own texture to be sure. The tone stack works differently from most amps, but it's perfectly intuitive.

While my pedal experience with it has been limited, those things I have used sounded exactly as expected, thanks to generous Hiwatt-like headroom. I've noticed this amp really allows each guitar's personality to show through. It's also utterly silent unless the gain is cranked to stupid levels. Best of all, it sounds like a vintage DR103 without my ears bleeding. The only complaint some people might have with it is that it isn't very forgiving of sloppy technique.

Reliability : No Opinion
I've only had it a few months, but it is hand-built in Canada like a tank. They even used Dave Reeves' wiring style to give the amp not only an incredibly clean appearance on the interior, but it's also a dream to work on if necessary because everything is so accessible/visible. The cabinet is black tolex with white piping, although other options are available. It's absolutely top notch in all respects. I'm not going to rate the reliability since I haven't owned it for a few months, but if the build quality is any indication, I might as well have given this amp a 10.

Customer Support : 10
I probably have over 100 emails from the gentlemen at Trinity Amps, and they've been nothing but class. Responses are usually in a day or less. They did everything exactly as I asked when it came to a few personal preferences for tubes and caps. I don't know the length of the warranty, but based on my frequent contact with them I know if there was anything significantly wrong they'd work with me to get it resolved ASAP.

Overall Rating : 10
I've been playing about 10 years. My other frequently used tube amp is a THD Flexi-50 w/THD 2x10 cab, and for the last 1.5 years, I have also used a Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra for recording and effects.

If my Triwatt was stolen, I'd call Trinity Amps right after getting off the phone with my insurance company. The best thing about it is that it sounds and plays like a Hiwatt (amazing without EL34s). The only thing I hate is that I haven't had more time to play it!