trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi all,

What preamp tube have folks tried and loved in their Triwatts? I'm curious what other folks are running and loving.

Here's the "first at bat bench". I've got quite a few more, but these are the variants that I've used before and found cool in previous builds. Once I get it all unpacked from my shop renovation I'll take a few pics of the entire collection. I've got some fairly odd and fun stuff.

From left to right -

GE variants - all 7025 low noise. These tend to sound very flat and clear, but lack a bit of bass. Awesomely low noise in high gain circuits and the reduced bass seems to prevent low end flatulence. These all have slightly different plate and getter structure and are great candidates for V2 and V4

Sylvania/Phillips variants - To my ears these seem to have a bit of a midrange hump and thumping bass. Great for V1 or 2 if this thing turns out a bit thin. I'm not expecting that though :D

RCA - I've got about 20 of these things as pulls from an old Baldwin organ. To my eyes and ears they are rebranded Amperex Bugle Boys - the plate structure is identical and they sound AWESOME. Interesting, there is a slight variation in sound in each tube - they are all unique in sound. Weird but fun

Telefunken double diamond - I'm not sure what all of the hoopla is about. These guys sound nice, but a bit warm to me. They sound really cool in Marshall circuits - maybe that's the big deal? Crazy low noise and zero microphonics though.

Sovtek 12AX7WA - Meh. Maybe. We'll see.

Mullard 12AT7's - I've never used them yet, but I will report what I hear.

As far as power tubes, most of my collection is EL-84s or 6L6 variants. Not many 6V6s yet . . .

Top - Sylvania - Sounds geat in a Deluxe that I built, but might break up a bit early for a Hiwatt clone. Not very bass heavy and nicely chimey.

Bottom - Westinghouse - Huge freaking bass with clarity. It sounds like a little 6L6 to my ears. I'm pretty sure these will be it.

I'm ordering a pair of KT-66s tonight. Gotta love those big bottles.

Anyone else have some tube pr0n to share and comment on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:14 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Have used Mullard RI 12AX7, GE NOS AT7, Tung Sol 6V6 all worked pretty nicely together.