Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tubes in a Triwatt
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:08 am 
Novice
Novice

A few tube questions :?:

Firstly I've never used a 12AT7 in anything (and don't own any yet) and I undertand that a 12AX7 can be used in it's place so other than increased gain are there any other considerations? If I do go with a 12AT7, can I get some recommendations as to what brand to use?

In a vintage Marshall. V1 is always the critical tone tube. What about the Triwatt? I've got a nice collection of NOS preamp tubes (Sylvania, RFT, Amperex) and a bunch of new stuff (JJ, Tungsol, Sovtek, Polamp, Chinese) so it will be fun to mess around with combinations.

For the power tubes I have a late 50's pair of Sylvania 6V6's that I want to try. Any recommendations for new stuff?

thx.

Post subject: Re: Tubes in a Triwatt
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:32 am 
Novice
Novice

Quite happy to pick up a nice RCA 12AT7 at A1 yesterday for $15. looking forward to giving it a try. If all goes well the amp should be ready for testing this week.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:56 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

RI Mullards or Tung Sol for AX7s, NOS AT7s or your RCA are great. The JJ 6V6 or Tung Sol 6V6 if you dont have some nice old 6V6 around.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:12 am 
Expert
Expert

Roadstar wrote:
Firstly I've never used a 12AT7 in anything (and don't own any yet) and I undertand that a 12AX7 can be used in it's place so other than increased gain are there any other considerations? If I do go with a 12AT7, can I get some recommendations as to what brand to use?

I'd always been more of a Marshall guy myself until I started designing the Triwatt, so I'd never used a 12AT7 either. :) Basically any NOS 12AT7 should be good. Apart from the increased gain, there's no benefit to using a 12AX7 in the PI. In the case of the TriWatt, with the Biacrown-era Hiwatt Overdrive stage, there's absolutely no need to resort to using a 12AX7 in the PI.

Roadstar wrote:
In a vintage Marshall. V1 is always the critical tone tube. What about the Triwatt?

Same applies for vintage Hiwatts - and the Triwatt is entirely vintage Hiwatt design. NOS Mullard is highly recommended in V1, or possibly Brimar. Your Amperex may get you close to the Mullard vibe, since both are actually Philips, and sometimes were even made in the same factory.

Roadstar wrote:
Quite happy to pick up a nice RCA 12AT7 at A1 yesterday for $15. looking forward to giving it a try.

A good score! I've used RCA's in that position as well.

coco wrote:
RI Mullards or Tung Sol for AX7s, NOS AT7s or your RCA are great. The JJ 6V6 or Tung Sol 6V6 if you don't have some nice old 6V6 around.

With 6V6 power tubes, I usually prefer the more balanced tones of the Mullard-branded Russian 12AX7s. They *don't* sound the same as real Mullards BTW, and can't really be called a RI, but they still have a great sweet, warm tone. With the darker tones of KT66 power tubes, I prefer the brighter Russian Tung-Sol-branded 12AX7s. Those NOS Sylvania 6V6s should sound great in the Triwatt BTW.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:10 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect a slightly older thread but I'm thinking of leaning toward KT66 for the TRIWATT kit I've just ordered.

Was wondering if anyone had tried these in the TRIWATT (I think ajcoholic has) and which brand you preferred?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:17 pm 
Expert
Expert

Several Triwatts have ended up with KT66s. I've tried both Shuguang Golden Dragon Retro KT66s and New Sensor's Russian-made reproduction Red Lions (complete with side getters). I preferred the latter ones. As I recall they had a somewhat thicker, creamier toner.

I also used a Triwatt with KT66s as a small bass amp a couple of times. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:22 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I have a set of Gold Lion KT66's in my Triwatt. They sound great, very full and deep in the bass frequencies

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:22 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

:thumbsup: on the New Sensor's Russian-made reproduction Red Lions .