trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:50 am 
Friend
Friend

I've realised that I missed or misunderstood the instructions in the build guide about transformer orientation, and have both power and output transformers sitting the same way round.

This did make building the amp easier as it sat level, but how much of an issue is it long term? At home volume even with the overdrive turned up to 7/10 there is no discernable hum whatsoever, and all the photos of vintage hiwatt amps show the transformers the same way round, albeit at opposite ends of the chassis.

Given that the amp is working really nicely I'm loathed to unsolder half the board to get at the output transformer bolts if I can avoid it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:27 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

If you're not getting any noise or other issues with it, you should be fine, no reason to re-do things

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 11:48 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

My kit shipped in October 2019. The transformers were already hooked up. Did they stop doing it that way at some point?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:09 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

My kit shipped in October 2019. The transformers were already hooked up. Did they stop doing it that way at some point?

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 12:54 am 

Understanding transformer polarity is essential to understanding how transformers work and how to use them. It is crucial to comprehend polarity in order to parallel single-phase transformers correctly and link instrument transformers to duck life, meters and safety relays.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:41 pm 
Friend
Friend

It's good to hear that your amp is working nicely and that you're not experiencing any issues with hum or performance. While the orientation of transformers can sometimes affect certain aspects of an amplifier's performance, it's not always a critical factor, especially if the amp is working well and producing the desired sound.

However, the orientation of transformers can have some impact on electromagnetic interference and potential noise issues, which is why many amplifier build guides provide specific instructions on their placement. Transformers are designed with careful consideration of their orientation to minimize electromagnetic interference and hum. geometry dash

Since you mentioned that your amp is currently working well without any discernible hum or noise, and that vintage hiwatt amps also show similar transformer orientations, you might be in a situation where the orientation isn't causing significant problems for your specific setup.

If you're concerned about the orientation of the transformers but you're hesitant to make major changes, you could consider monitoring the amp over time to see if any issues develop. If you continue to experience good performance with no noticeable problems, it's possible that the current orientation might not be causing significant issues for your specific amp design and setup.

However, if you do encounter any hum, noise, or other performance issues in the future, you might want to revisit the transformer orientation and consider making adjustments as needed. Ultimately, the decision should be based on the overall performance and sound quality of the amplifier. If you're unsure, consulting with experienced amplifier builders or technicians might provide you with more specific advice based on the details of your setup and design.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:00 pm 

tom_c wrote:
I've realised that I missed or misunderstood the instructions in the build guide about transformer orientation, and have both power and output transformers sitting the same way round.

This did make building the amp easier as it sat level, but how much of an issue is it long term? At home volume even with the overdrive turned up to 7/10 there is no discernable hum whatsoever, and all the photos slope game of vintage hiwatt amps show the transformers the same way round, albeit at opposite ends of the chassis.

Given that the amp is working really nicely I'm loathed to unsolder half the board to get at the output transformer bolts if I can avoid it.

If you've observed that vintage Hiwatt amps often have transformers oriented similarly, it could indicate that the impact of orientation might not be a critical factor in all cases. However, keep in mind that small variations in construction might have different outcomes depending on the specific components used.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:30 am 

tom_c wrote:

This did make building the amp easier as it sat level, but how much of an issue is it long term? At home volume even with the overdrive turned up to 7/10 there among us is no discernable hum whatsoever, and all the photos of vintage hiwatt amps show the transformers the same way round, albeit at opposite ends of the chassis.

Transformers can generate heat, and their orientation can impact their ability to dissipate heat effectively. If the transformers are placed in a way that hampers heat dissipation, it might lead to overheating issues over prolonged use.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:36 am 

To understand how transformers work and how to use them, you need to know how they are polarized. To connect single-phase transformers in parallel and instrument transformers to a word finder, meters, and safety switches in the right way, you must understand polarity.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:32 am 

The orientation of transformers is crucial for optimal performance and safety. Correct orientation ensures efficient cooling, proper oil circulation, and prevents mechanical stress on components. Incorrect orientation can lead to overheating, reduced lifespan, and even failure. Whether horizontal or vertical, transformers must be installed according to manufacturer specifications and industry standards to maintain reliability and prevent hazards. Additionally, proper installation ensures compliance with safety regulations. When setting up devices like Hulu, attention to detail matters, just as with transformers. For Hulu activation, visit Hulu com activate, follow instructions meticulously to enjoy seamless streaming experience aligned with safety and performance standards.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:12 pm 
Friend
Friend

Reading this article feels like being wrapped in a warm blanket of infinite craft motivation.