Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tramp Tubes
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:01 pm 
Expert
Expert

jimiata wrote:
It's too bad about the 6L6 WGB; I was told it was designed for army issue and should be good for a long life.

Yes. 6L6WGB = 5881, which is a tube they used in B52 bombers. It's a tough tube, but not ever intended to run at the same power dissipation level as a 6L6GC. The "C" here denotes a higher power rating than the "B".

jimiata wrote:
Would it sound good for a short time and then go bad, or would it go quickly and just get wasted in a flash?

It will red-plate and have a pretty short life. It won't go up in a flash though.

jimiata wrote:
I also have an old...20 years old Celestion Classic Lead 80 12 which sounds super with my other amps; hope there's room for it in the cab.

The Classic Lead 80 is a great speaker, and one of Celestion's smoother sounding models. I wasn't familiar with the CL80 until one got fitted into a D'Ari Pouyat's Tramp as described in this thread.- viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2086 It then got changed out because it was found to be "way too dark with buckers... " :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:53 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Hello all..
just ordered a tramp kit + unfinished cab. :thumbsup:

I was curious as to whether anyone has tried a 5751 for the preamp tube? In my first amp "build" several years ago (a modded valve junior) I had great results with a 5751 in there...a little less gain, but the sound was fuller, more definition. slight loss of gain was no big deal since I could just kick in my tubescreamer. I've also used a 5751 in V1 on a recent 18 watt lite build and it just seems to open the amp up more...very slight drop in gain but just added a little bit mojo to the definition of notes, clarity.

Anyways...any experiences with a 5751 (or any other lower gain tube for that matter) as the preamp tube for the tramp?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:16 am 
Expert
Expert

You're welcome to try a 5751, but this particular amp design was very carefully voiced around a 12AX7/ECC83 preamp tube. The amp will also lose quite a bit of its versatility, as the stock design provides a wide range of gain levels, and the preamp also only has two stages using that one preamp tube. If you want better note definition and clarity, just use a better quality 12AX7, such as a New Sensor "Mullard" 12AX7. It's really more about the make f tube, rather than whether its a 12AX7 or 5751.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:37 am 
Novice
Novice

Zaphod, a friend gave me a couple of Rogers 6V6 tubes to try from an old hi fi stereo he's rebuilding. They are smaller than the JJ's. He also has a 6V6S tube, would these be suitable for my Tramp?

I stuffed in a well broken-in Celestion Blue 12" speaker in my combo (Trinity's slant style). Wow, this speaker does it all!
Jim